Computer Help forum

General discussion

Change default location for Google searches from UK to USA

by marytaylor0103 / July 15, 2010 1:13 AM PDT

When I type Google.com in the address bar, it comes up Google.com UK. I live in the United States, not the UK. So, when I search for something like jet ski rentals in Florida, I get stuff from Liverpool Lake in England. I checked English for the language preference under "settings" but I think the problem is, they speak English in the UK too. Google help is useless. They keep saying to go to your gmail account and change the preferences,etc. Well, as crazy as it sounded, I tried it... no deal...nothing changed. Can you tell me how to change the default location to the United States?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Change default location for Google searches from UK to USA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Change default location for Google searches from UK to USA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a WAG
by bob b / July 15, 2010 5:23 AM PDT

Flush the dns cache.....use google

If your using a hosts file rename it to '.old'.

Check the region you have the machine set to.....use google

Collapse -
Wag #2
by bob b / July 15, 2010 7:15 AM PDT

Clear your browser cache and cookies.

Collapse -
Another WAG.
by Papa Echo / July 15, 2010 9:31 AM PDT

At Control Panel:

1. Date & Time: set to correct time zone ?
2. Regional & Language difference-set as appropriate ?

Collapse -
Thanks guys. The strangest thing happened....
by marytaylor0103 / July 15, 2010 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Another WAG.

Thank you Bob B and Papa Echo. I did the things you had mentioned prior to posting the problem, but nothing worked. Okay.. get this...I tried again, just typing Google.com on the address bar and it once again came up Google.com UK, HOWEVER.... I saw something I'd never seen before. Underneath the little search window (just below the cute cartooned "GOOGLE") where it ordinarily says "Advertising Programs"...."Business Solutions"...."About Google".... there was a 4th choice...."Go to Google United States". At first I felt embarassed, thinking "How in the world did I miss that?" I showed it to my daughter and the first thing she said was "Wait a minute... that wasn't a choice before!" Good... I'm not cracking up! Anyway, I picked alternative number 4.. "Go to Google United States" and when I did, it worked. But I noticed that 4th choice was still there. Except this time, it said "Go to Google UK" I figured Google must have made that change during that period of time I was struggling with it. But, no.......Hold on......When I later typed in Google.com, the 4th choice did not exist anymore. The story gets better. The same thing happened later on my daughter's computer.....
Google.com went to Google.com UK, and there is no 4th alternative. What the heck is going on?????? I hope it's not some kind of virus or Trojan or something.

Collapse -
Hmmm....try....
by Papa Echo / July 15, 2010 1:56 PM PDT

...going to Google U.K. proper: http://www.google.co.uk ... What happens ? What choices do you have, then ? You can also try putting http://www.google.co.uk into the hosts file...that may force the browser to point to google.com [US} instead. What happens if you use another browser ? BTW, when you were directed to the UK site, what was the URL shown at the address bar ?

Collapse -
Well,well,well
by bob b / July 16, 2010 1:35 AM PDT

If I type goggle.com in my address bar I get taken to goggle/uk.

If I click on the 4th link I get routed to goggle/usa.

If I bookmark the USA page (goggle.com) and then use the bookmark to access goggle it always takes me to goggle/usa.

Perhaps a work around is to get to the goggle/usa page and bookmark it then use the bookmark to access goggle.

Collapse -
easiest

its easy as nothing. use www.google.com/ncr

you wont even have to be in USA to use the American Google server or the main server. form anywhere on earth you can use this link to get access.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.