Internet Service Providers forum

Century Link is horrible

by BigC23 / June 1, 2011 1:23 AM PDT

I had service from Century Link for roughly a year. During that time I never once got the speed they claimed. I was paying for 3mb/s and most of the time it stayed at 1. I have seen it go as low as 300kbps however.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Century Link is horrible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Century Link is horrible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You might post this here . . .
by Coryphaeus / June 4, 2011 4:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) I did
by BigC23 / June 5, 2011 9:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not sure why the reply didn't show here.
by BigC23 / June 6, 2011 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I did

Anyway, I did post it on as well. I have just never had as negative an experience as this with any internet provider. Nothing like having a manager, thanks Mr. Woods, basically call you a liar on the phone. I'm just trying to make sure that anywhere that someone goes to look for reviews or information on these things they see this so that someone else can avoid such a bad experience. I'm considering purchasing a domain and building a site dedicated to this. As you can tell I'm mildly annoyed.

Collapse -
Another Century Link ex customer
by PamMahony / June 19, 2011 11:32 AM PDT

Amen! I hear ya. I was with Century Fink for 4 months last fall and turned into a babbling idiot trying to carry on an intelligent discussion with their phone people.

The sad thing is that I left and went to a wireless company named BroadLink. After 4 months with them I am begging Century Link to take me back The sadder thing is that CL is so incompetent that it cannot even schedule and keep hook up appointments.

The saddest thing? I live in the country and these are my only 2 options.

All I can do is submit reports with the BBB and hope that other companies move into this area.

Collapse -
The Virginia State Corporation Commission
by christiangehman / October 30, 2011 4:11 AM PDT

I'm going to complain to the State Corporation Commission. A CenturyLink Tech who came out to the house told me that they were "aware" of the problem. Very poor DSL performance from Century Link seems to be widespread in rural Central Virginia. They simply are not making any effective effort to improve the performance for home subscribers. Try filling out an employment application online...... best of luck to the rest of you. I'm switching to something else as soon as possible.

Collapse -
Crappt Centurytel.
by RevGalen123 / November 13, 2011 6:53 AM PST

I'm in Northern Ohio and I get slower download speeds than upload speeds (400-600kbps) and I'm paying for 10mbps download speeds. What a bunch of crooks. They should be sued.

Collapse -
My name is Rich and I am part of the Centurylink Help Team
by CenturyLinkHelp / January 20, 2012 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: Crappt Centurytel.

Hi RevGalen123 - "slower download speeds than upload speeds" - thats not good! Sounds like there is a line issue or filter problem. Lets get it fixed! My name is Rich and I am part of the Centurylink Help Team and with a little bit of information sent to us directly at or submited on our secure form on our Facebook page under "support" We can investigate your service or billing concerns and help get you taken care of. Please send your billing account number, phone number, billing address, & an alternate contact number.

Looking forward to serving you!

Centurylink Help Team
You can also find us on Twitter @CenturyLinkHelp

Collapse -
Yeah you could do that
by BigC23 / January 21, 2012 9:23 PM PST

You could seek support, get jerked around for a couple months while they pretend to attend to your issue and continue charging you a higher than market value rate or you could just cut your losses and go with a better provider in your area.

Collapse -
My terrible experience with Century Link - Never Again
by VangelYurukov / April 3, 2013 10:23 AM PDT

More details, here you are:
1. On monday, March 17th, I called to set up an installment of an account. I was promised to get it set up by Wednesday. This didn't happen because they made a mistake and took my wrong mailing address so the modem ended up in Glenwood Springs instead of Snowmass Village. The price of the service they promised me was $25.00 for Internet a month and a $30.00 refund promotion that I qualified for as a new customer.
Step 2. I called again to ask where my modem was on Wednesday, March 17th. They told me they had a wrong address so they are sending me the modem again this time in Snowmass. I received it on Friday, 19th, and when I wento to set it up, I noticed that it came with a wrong power cord which I was unable to insert into the modem. The promised price was $14.95 a month for Internet + $ 5.00 lease on the modem + $33.00 for shipping and handling.
Step 3. I found a power cord from a friend of mine that was working with the modem. I plugged it in and realized that the DSL was still not activated in my house. I missed 3 conference calls this week on because of this. I scheduled an appointment with a technician to come and fix the DSL and missed a day of work because I had to personally be at the house to meet him. Finally, after he came and fixed it and I called him again for the second issue 2 days later he resolved the problem. His name is Zack Collinge and he is a nice guy.
Step 5. I finally received another shipment with the correct power cord and got everything installed and going. This was on Friday, March 29th. Two weeks later than the promised date.
Step 5. I called the loyalty department asking for a discount. I spoke with a representative named Marya and she gave me a discount of 10.98 a month for a total of 12 months. After I tried to set up an account online the system rejected me and I called customer service. They told me I have to pay $66.65 or the first month and then $14,95 a month for the services. They also told me I would get a $50.00 discount which I didn't receive yet.
The last representative from the loyalty dept. told me that I will have to pay $66.65, might not get a discount and my monthly payments will be $23,95 (tax included).
I went through hell and finally paid the 1st month but I am still very confused.
I spend 15 hours on the phone with Century link
Missed 2 days of work
Missed 3 conference calls
Didn't receive a credit or discount
Almost got a nervous breakdown dealing with people who gave me different information over the phone.
The bottom line is that I will never recommend your services to anyone because of this!

Collapse -
Century Link is the WORST internet provider period
by mkmkmk111 / January 15, 2014 5:29 AM PST

terrible service, the connection is less than 10% of the speed promised, the connection (century link side) drops outs every 5 to 10 minutes. Oh, and for century link to fix THEIR problems they will send out a tech at your expense (nonrefundable) to fix it. but from past experience their techs won't be able to do anything through sheer incompetence. their customer service is also completely useless and full of incompetence. You'll get transferred from department to department each department claims they can't help you and send you back to the department you previously talked to that couldn't help either. I fully believe this is by design to get you to stop calling them. it's also a scam for them to charge you for their service provider issues that they can't seem to fix even when they come out to fix it. DO NOT USE CENTURY LINK.

Collapse -
by danielhq / February 16, 2015 2:24 AM PST

Ihave had nothing but headaches from centurylink in both products and service.I am beginning to believe that most of the centuryfink employees are complicit in the perpetration of this fraud they are visiting on most of their customers;especially the poor!Just got off the phone after my first call was disconnected because my internet connection dropped away and then got to talk to Peter who assures me there is no problem with my connection and then pretty much hangs up on me!Sure would like to join a class action lawsuit against centuryfink!!!

Collapse -
centurylink is loaded with liars and crooks!!
by danielhq / February 16, 2015 1:50 AM PST

Unluckily where I live I have no other choice but centurylink.what a horrible corrupt company!!They are nothing but a den of thieves! You are so right ; it is not enough money for one person to sue but maybe if there was a firem that would start a class action suit for all of us it would make the big bunch of liars sit up and take notice.I VOTE FOR A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST THE SLUMLORD OF THE INTERNET AND PHONE ; CENTURYLINK!!!

Collapse -
centurylink is loaded with liars and crooks!!
by CenturyLinkHelp / February 17, 2015 2:03 AM PST

Hey there, I see this was originally an older post. I'd like to offer assistance if I can so please email me at

Collapse -
CenturyLink --- Bad Business Practice
by 100000000000000000000000002347741 / September 15, 2015 6:50 PM PDT

Century Link is a bad business company. I signed up with them and their monthly price almost changes every month for thing or that reason. What comes worst is that one time, my monthly bill went up and I called and they lowered my bill and said that everything was taken care of. Not until two month later, I realized that they put me on a contract without informing me. I was stuck with it. I called to question them and they said that it was my responsibility to read the bill to find it. Never sign up with CenturyLInk!!!! Period.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.