Phones forum

General discussion

Cellular signal boost with regular PC router-Possible?

by funkid7 / January 27, 2010 11:28 PM PST

My mom and dad are just not that tech savvy. They have a cellular contract with T-mobile, who are in negotiations to use the existing cellular towers in our area, due to not having their own towers existing here. While these talks are on-going, T-mobile users in our area, are getting terrible service and nearly all calls are dropped calls. Yet, T-mobile refuses to let my parents out of their contract and instead, have advised them, they can boost their signal with a cellular router/signal booster. However, these Boosters can cost &300.00 to $500.00 USD, for the models that would be of any use to my parents.

T-Mobile will charge them a penalty for backing out of the contract, which my parents, who are on a budget, cannot afford. The Cellular Boosters that T-mobile suggested are twice as expensive, as the penalty for backing out would be. Of course, they cannot afford this cost either.

So, we called up T-mobile service again, to see what could be done, but they still refuse to let them out of the contract and instead, have advised us, that we can boost the cellular signal, with a regular Computer/desktop wireless router. The T-mobile service tells us, this router, will do the trick for us: Linksys model WRT54G Internet, LAN router.

Cell phone specs range:

T-MOBILE
SYSTEM: 1900 MHz, 1.7/2.1 GHz
TECHNOLOGY: GSM / GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, LTE Planned

What we desperately need to know, is this true? Can we use just any PC router to boost a cell phone signal? Or, is T-mobile giving us the run-around?

I have searched the web for two days, looking for this answer, or anything even close, but have only found the overly expensive Boosters and cannot seem to find any subject matter, on using a PC router as a substitute.

Cnet is the place for tech advise, such as this and know you people and friends would be my best source of information.

Please, help us out? Any advice at all, will be most greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cellular signal boost with regular PC router-Possible?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cellular signal boost with regular PC router-Possible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No. To the best of my knowledge they need UMA phones
by Pepe7 / January 28, 2010 2:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Thank you!
by funkid7 / January 28, 2010 6:55 AM PST

thank you Pepe! That was very helpful and very much appreciated. Why I never thought to look for the T-mobile site first... Silly

Collapse -
More info
by Pepe7 / January 28, 2010 8:41 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you!

After reading a little more on their site, I wasn't able to find any way to actually _purchase_ the hotspot service ;(. I fear it may be currently for grandfathered customers only. Maybe someone in the T-Mo sub-forum @ Howardforums.com can set the record straight so you can fix up your folks' wireless issues.

Collapse -
I found a solution to get great 3G coverage inside my house
by icanflyman / September 27, 2010 5:09 PM PDT

Hi - I also had a problem with getting good 3G coverage in my house - I tried MiFi ec especially for iphone and ipad but it was just not working. I then purchased a Zalip CDG561 3G Router and a GXD1201 Flat Panel Antenna which is a 3G antenna which I mounted outside and I now surf the net using three in the UK at typical speeds of 5.5Mb download and 1.5Mb upload and the 3G router has wireless N and four wired ethernet ports so I have all the bases covered. I found these products at www.3grouterstore.co.uk which seems to cater for most things including a good range of 3G routers and 3G Antennas

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.