Phones forum

Question

Cell phone with good call quality

by sunnyfla / July 21, 2011 6:35 AM PDT

I am looking for a new cell phone. I have had several in the past. None with great call quality (sony ericsson, pantech, nokia, etc). The best phone that I ever had was a Motorola Karma - just a simple multi media phone. It had awesome reception and everything. No other brand compared. Is this a Motorola thing???? Or would that be a false statement???

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cell phone with good call quality
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cell phone with good call quality
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
which wireless provider????? (n/t)
by Pepe7 / July 21, 2011 6:42 AM PDT

n/t

Collapse -
carrier
by sunnyfla / July 21, 2011 7:28 AM PDT

At&t

Collapse -
Motorola is a good brand for sound quality
by Pepe7 / July 22, 2011 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: carrier

But I'll be honest, I've picked up some more recent Samsung models (SGH A737) that did sound quite good as well on ATT's network.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
PHONES WERE INTENDED TO COMMUNICATE BY VOICE~WHAT HAPPENED?
by Southern-Liberal / November 22, 2011 8:28 AM PST

Going way back, we all know the best thing about the invention of the telephone was so folks could SPEAK to one another and BE HEARD clearly.
Many good articles on the web address the fact that AUDIO QUALITY has been kicked to the curb by almost ever phone manufacturer and carrier/provider.
I for one have had too many business calls end with, "Can you call me back on another phone? You keep breaking up." Or, I can't hear you; can you call on a better phone?" I'm stuck with a SPRINT SANYO and it is like speaking a foreign language underwater.
Cell phone designers need to work on this ONE, SIMPLE thing before they add another app. Not all of us are using Facebook....BUT, we'd like to be able to CALL, HEAR, AND BE HEARD clearly by those who are.
Any suggestion are greatly appreciated!
Patricia Matthews

Collapse -
I hear you on audio!
by Webgenie / November 22, 2011 8:57 AM PST

I agree that talk quality has gone way down, and it also has to do with the network. It can vary as far as signal. I use only prepaid phones, 2 on the Sprint network and 3 on Verizon. Prepaid may not work for you if you do a whole lot of talking, but the fact is that the older phones have much better call quality. My best call quality has been on the LG 225 (Sprint). Verizon used to be the best network in my home location, but it failed a few years ago and only recently came back up to par. I also got an LG Rumor (Sprint), which is horrible to talk on because of the phone itself - the person you are listening to fades because of how you hold the phone and the location of the speaker. It is a good texting phone. Now that Verizon is working better at home, I use an LG 8300 at home and a Droid Eris when out and about - the Droid drops calls at home, but the LG 8300 is very good for phone calls. The Droid gets a good signal elsewhere and has a fabulous camera and all the smartphone features. The LG Clout is what my husband uses, and it is an upgrade to the 8300. It works fine for him everywhere, and he does not do anything but talk on a cell phone. I actually used only the LG 225 for business calls at home until Verizon recovered. If you don't have to have the latest and greatest status phones (or even if you do, like an Android on Verizon), and you would want to try prepaid, you could shop eBay for no-contract Verizon phones and put one on PagePlus Cellular. Sprint prepaid can be had through STi Mobile, PlatinumTel and other resellers, but you have to get the phones from the resellers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.