Phones forum

General discussion

Cell phone w/Outlook sync, no data plan & Verizon

by bjhcpa / September 29, 2009 3:36 AM PDT

I've been reading posts regarding cell phones that will sync with Outlook without a data plan, but they are all for AT&T, and I have to have Verizon because most of my family is on it. Also, it seems to have the best coverage in Phoenix area. I have a Treo, but it's too bulky.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cell phone w/Outlook sync, no data plan & Verizon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cell phone w/Outlook sync, no data plan & Verizon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let me bottom line it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 3:43 AM PDT

So far I can use activesync to outlook on every windows mobile phone reqardless of the plan. Sorry I've only done this to a few dozen so it's unlikely I can test every phone but so far, no data plan. The reason behind my capability is I've written and am writing some WinMo applications.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks. That will be a great help. Any phone suggestions?
by bjhcpa / September 29, 2009 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me bottom line it.

Most of my family is on Verizon, so I need to stay there. Don't need a smartphone, but would like a good sized screen and slimmer line than the Treo. I cancelled the data package on the Treo some time ago. Verizon is offering me a deal on the Samsung Alias 2, Motorola Rival and LG VX5500, as well as the Blackberry Storm.

Collapse -
Then how to sync with Outlook?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 10:10 AM PDT

Here I use activesync and winmo based phones. Let's try this. Head to the Verizon counter and ask your question. Maybe there is no such phone?

Again, I only can share what I'm doing with what. Since I'm authoring winmo apps, I don't have any other non-winmo (well I do have some Palm units?) phones to look at.
Bob

Collapse -
Thannks again
by bjhcpa / September 29, 2009 10:19 AM PDT

I appreciate your willingness to help. Not sure how much help Verizon will be, since they have a vested interest in their branded phones, but I will try.

Collapse -
You *are* limited to Verizon branded phones
by Pepe7 / September 30, 2009 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Thannks again

That's their system. You cannot bring in a non-Verizon branded phone and use their service like you can with ATT bringing in unlocked phones.
IME their in store support isn't bad.

Collapse -
Only the BB Storm
by Pepe7 / September 30, 2009 12:35 AM PDT

...will sync w/ Outlook AFAIK of the list you've been given as upgrades. And that phone would require the mandatory data plan w/ Verizon. You might want to peruse howardforums.com, esp. the Verizon sub-forum to see if there are any third party software apps to assist in syncing a Verizon branded non-smartphone w/ Outlook. You may be SOL IME, given how generally locked down their phones tend to be. YMMV.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Verizon cell Phones
by bjhcpa / September 30, 2009 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Only the BB Storm

When I first purchased the Treo from Verizon, I bought the data plan because I was working and thought I needed it. After several months, I found I wasn't using most of the features, so I dropped it. I just want to be able to keep my appointments and phone book on my phone so I don't have to carry a separate PDA without paying an extra $30/mo. That shouldn't be this hard. Since my last post, I've come down with the flu, so won't be able to go to the Verizon Store for a few days, but will update this thread when I do so anyone else looking for same can benefit from what I find out.

Collapse -
phones no data plan
by wbnelson / January 11, 2010 12:37 AM PST

motorola q 9m, voyger, versa, htc vx6900 do not require data plan.

Collapse -
Discontinued Smart Phones
by tojddw / January 16, 2010 1:20 PM PST

If you get a discontinued smartphone in the Samsung, Palm, HTC, etc lines, you can possibly get them without the dataplan. I have only been with Verizon for a little over a year, but there were several phones in the smartphone line at the time which did not require the data plan when I first joined. My first phone with them was a discontinued HTC SMT5800. It had poor battery life and you needed to charge it every night, but I wanted it to sync with Outlook and worked very well for that purpose.

Verizon is changing their plans and phone plan requirements as of 1/18/10 and the EnV3 will require a dataplan after that date. It does not if added through the 17th. I have the EnV3 now and love it, I have found that I don't miss the sync feature like I thought I would. I miss the to do list more, but can still add standard appointments through the calender and use the notepad for other things that I miss with the HTC.

Collapse -
Solution Found - Verizon, no data plan, Outlook Sync
by LDamren / October 16, 2009 10:59 PM PDT

We had the same problem. I use a smartphone with web, my wife didn't need the email and web on her phone, just wanted to be able to sync outlook calendar and contacts with her phone. Just got her the LG Env3 phone, she loves it. There's a $25 program at www.synccell.com that will sync outlook calendar and contacts to a lot of non-smartphones, we're on the 30 day free trial now and it seems to work well. There's a big list of phones that it will work with, check to see if your existing phone is there. Good luck.

Collapse -
Verizon, no data plan, Outlook Sync
by bjhcpa / October 17, 2009 9:12 AM PDT

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Collapse -
sync LG enVtouch with Outlook?
by donw78025 / January 7, 2010 10:15 PM PST

LDamren, are you still happy with the www.synccell.com program to sync Outlook with the Verizon phone? I'm having a similar issue that everyone else is. Thanks.

Collapse -
Still happy with synccell
by LDamren / January 7, 2010 11:13 PM PST

Hi - my wife is happy with the synccell program. It does have a few limitations, but I think that has more to do with the phone's memory for contacts and calendar than an issue with synccell. For instance, she can sync her contacts' names and telephone numbers but the addresses don't come over. For calendar she can only go about 6 months forward before the phone runs out of calendar memory.
Overall, does what we need it to do for short money.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks!
by donw78025 / January 8, 2010 3:19 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.