Phones

General discussion

Cell phone screen in daylight.

by franklaur / April 7, 2008 9:58 AM PDT

I have an Razr and want to replace it with a phone that I can see the screen in sunlight. The Iphone seems to be accptable but I looking at options, hopefully cheaper

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cell phone screen in daylight.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cell phone screen in daylight.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It will always be a problem
by Jimmy Greystone / April 7, 2008 11:14 AM PDT

It will always be a problem, it's just simple physics. The light from the sun will exceed the luminosity of the device, and drown it out. It doesn't matter what the device is, this will always be a problem.

The only thing you can really do, is try and position yourself in opposition to the sun. So say when you open the phone to look at the inside screen, you're holding it so that the back side is facing the sun.

Some day, someone may invent a whole new type of display technology that finds some clever way around this. Right now, I'd place my bets on work being done to put tiny little screens into contact lenses, which could also be put into things such as sunglasses. Of course maybe someone will crack the idea of a mid-air holographic display that doesn't require large sums of energy and is thus portable. Until that day however, we're left to deal with displays that are difficult to read in direct sunlight, and there's really nothing that can be done about it. Razr, iPhone, Voyager, or any other, it doesn't matter, you'll have the same problem.

Collapse -
Depends on the screen technology
by LucJs / June 20, 2009 9:39 PM PDT

I use to have a Fujitsu-Siemens Pocketloox PDA. It had a "tranmissive" LCD screen, if I remember well (might have been called differently).

You could see that one perfectly in plain sunlight. The pixels could be lit by the backlight or by the sun, in both cases it was perfectly readable. But I suppose that they don't put those in most cellphones.

Collapse -
I had a first gen Razr...
by run_va / April 7, 2008 11:18 PM PDT

I had the first Razr the day it came out, but was disappointed with the dim screen in sunlight so I ended up returning it a week later. Right now I have the V3xx and since then, they've fixed the issue. I'm much happier with this phone now, as I can actually see it in any light. The camera phone is decent 1.3MP, and it has enough features to make me happy while being relatively affordable. I recommend checking it out.

Collapse -
Thanks
by franklaur / April 8, 2008 5:49 AM PDT

Thanks for both replies I look at the V3xx

Collapse -
Good luck!
by run_va / April 8, 2008 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Let me know you get a chance to check it out

Collapse -
Qualcomm Mobile Display Tech mimic's butterfly wings...
by bobylon5 / April 8, 2008 7:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
Pretty cool stuff there...
by run_va / April 8, 2008 10:47 PM PDT

That's really interesting, thanks for the link, I'm curious to see how it develops

Collapse -
avoid glossy screens
by PastorG3 / June 19, 2009 5:32 AM PDT

One thing that might help... avoid the high gloss screens (when they are shut off). They are "brighter" but they reflect much more light than the mat finish screens. The only phone that I've heard of that is supposed to really fix this problem is the VirginMobile Ocean.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.