Phones forum

General discussion

Cell Phone Radiation Shield

by brianL / March 28, 2005 1:53 PM PST

I recently saw a product called the SAR shield that's supposed to reduce cell phone radiation up to 89%. i'm wondering if anybody knows if this actually works or knows any other products that work or any ways to reduce cell phone radiation. the web site for the product is http://www.sarshield.com/index.htm

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cell Phone Radiation Shield
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cell Phone Radiation Shield
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re
by PhoneDepot / March 29, 2005 3:54 AM PST

Not that I am an expert or anything but when you take an outdated phone from 1998 thats connected to a base station to increase power output, apply a 10 gram cube to it (equivolent to the weight of about 10 paperclips) and say its an accurate depiction of the results on people, I would wonder about the accuracy of the tests. Especially with a control group of 1. Oh and it was being run up to 6ghz as opposed to the US standard max of 1.9Ghz. In other words while I am no expert, i would be more afraid of the microwave.

Collapse -
better product that works
by tekster / April 28, 2005 4:18 PM PDT

The BioPro Chip from a scientific approach seems to work much better. I have one and notice the difference big time!. No hot ear or headaches.. you can get more of the write up here http://www.biorez.net/biochip/

Collapse -
Sorry tekster, you're badly misinformed
by topazg / May 16, 2005 7:37 PM PDT

Sorry to disappoint you tekster, but you are completely misinformed.

Firstly it is worth looking at what you've actually said. Phones have to operate on the same frequency as each other and the base stations (900MHz/1800MHz depending on network) - if you change the frequency you may as well just turn the phone off for all the good it will do.

As an independent organisation we are responsible for analysing and reviewing products that come to our attention as possible useful devices. Both the BioPro and another company's chip (Willautronic) found their way to our doorstep (we bought one!) and we fully analysed and tested the product. BioPro does nothing whatsoever to the electromagnetic fields, there's no harmonisation, alteration or emission from the chip whatsoever, and it will not protect you in any way, shape or form.

If it helps, for those that want to read a few pointers as to how to spot a hoax in this market, check out one of our recent press releases: http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/news/20050511_mobilechips.asp

It is sad to say it, but there is no simple and easy way to make your phone safe by attaching a chip of any kind to it, as the harmful effects are completely intertwined with the technology that enables the phone to operate. You cannot have one without the other.

Best Regards,
- Graham Philips
Technical Manager
Powerwatch UK http://www.powerwatch.org.uk

Collapse -
I agree ...
by vince7 / May 23, 2005 12:31 PM PDT

I just cancelled my cell phone service. The risks to my health are not worth the convenience. About a month ago, i got on Cnet for not putting emission ratings in an easy to read location as part of their reviews. Its one thing to post an article about cell phone emissions then hide the bad data deep in the review. I guess this is called public service?

The rest of you should demand that the ratings be in plain view as well as advice on which models to avoid.

Collapse -
Problem with SAR values
by topazg / May 24, 2005 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree ...

Firstly, I want to say that I agree completely, these values should be completely open and easily accessible on all such reviews. However, regarding SARs, there are two important points that need to be considered:

a) SAR is actually a value of peak specific absorption rate, and phones are actually capable of operating at power levels 1000-fold lower in very good signal. However, some phones are far more efficient at doing this than other phones, and as such the efficiency of phones operating at lower than peak power normally has a larger bearing on RF exposure than the actual SAR value of the phone.

b) Sar values can be measured over either 10g or 1g of tissue. The mass of tissue over which the absorption is measured is absolutely key. If it is measured over a larger mass any "hotspots", or smaller areas of tissue were absorption is considerably greater, are averaged out over a much larger area. As we do not yet know whether adverse health effects are going to be proportionally affected by local absorption levels, this may be extremely significant and make large area calculations very inaccurate - truth is we just don't know yet.

SAR values are a good rule of thumb but no more unfortunately.

Best Regards,
- Graham

Collapse -
Major BS...
by WebJester / May 2, 2005 12:21 AM PDT

I hate to be cynical about all this but, even if this "passive device" has the ability to "catch radiation," it would have to encompass the entire phone. Radiation doesn't just choose it's path of destruction, it goes in all directions. So a pea sized device will only catch the radiation in its path.

Maybe the device should look like a ski mask that you wear on your head... Now THATS protection!

Collapse -
Absolutely, couldn't agree more
by topazg / May 16, 2005 7:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Major BS...

Thanks, you've saved me the hassle here - spot on with your response, you cannot eliminate RF radiation without stopping the phone from functioning, it's that simple.

Collapse -
cell phone radiation bogus products...do a Google search!
by niagarafalls / May 23, 2005 1:26 AM PDT

do a search...cell phone radiation bogus products...and you will see that the FTC shuts down these companies...most of them...but its hard with the WWW. The SAR Shield is a Bogus product and whoever sells it is a criminal!
RFSAFE.COM sells the ONLY products that work...if you have a basic understanding of RF, common sense says it all when you use the products from RFSAFE. it`s your body!

Collapse -
Not Quite
by topazg / May 23, 2005 5:46 AM PDT

Whilst RFSafe does sell products that have a good effect on exposure to mobile radiation (The RF3 Air-tube is an effective hands-free kit), that only reduces the close exposure to your brain, which is by no means the only problem from radiation. It is also worth noting that even with handsfree kits there are some recent studies showing that concentration and reaction times are slower than when drunk!

It is also worth pointing out the RFSafe certainly do not sell the only products that work, for example the RF3 air-tube is already only a reseller product. Also Powerwatch (http://www.powerwatch.org.uk) sell screening materials, measuring devices and also publications designed to inform the public of what they are being exposed to and the range of options available to them.

Collapse -
do people still think this is an issue?
by jbroshear / February 27, 2006 9:43 PM PST
In reply to: Not Quite

do people still think this is an issue?

Collapse -
Good, cheap radiation protection
by El Alquimista / May 23, 2005 10:55 AM PDT

If you are concerned about possible effects of the radiation from a cell phone (although there is no credible scientific evidence that any significant harmful effect exists), there is very simple, very cheap protection readily available -- don't use the damn thing. Not only will this protect you from any radiation, it will also reduce the noise pollution and other annoyances in most public places, and also probably reduce traffic accidents to some extent. (I was almost broadsided by a driver running a red light because their cell phone was ringing, and the driver was trying to pick it up.)

Collapse -
That's my advice too
by topazg / May 24, 2005 1:17 AM PDT

... especially in cars - There are recent studies showing that drivers using cellphones in their cars, even on handsfree kits, lower their concentration and slow their reaction times further than being under the influence of alcohol. Phones should _never_ be used by drivers in cars, and IMHO as little as possible elsewhere.

Collapse -
Another Product
by SteveH / May 25, 2005 7:13 AM PDT

I was reading an article that talks about cellphone radiation danger. The suggestion there was to get a regular headset for the phone, and then use a product that contains a ferrite bead that is attached to the cord of the headset. The article points out that ferrite beads are attached to the cords of computer equipment to keep them from broadcasting nuisance radio frequency radiation. Still wouldn't do anything for the RF radiation given off from the phone itself, so if it were clipped to your belt or whatever then that tissue near it would still presumeably be hit by RF radiation. I wouldn't know, I'm not an expert. Here is the link:

http://www.mercola.com/fcgi/pf/forms/ferrite_beads.htm

Collapse -
Ferrite Beads
by topazg / May 25, 2005 10:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Another Product

The ferrite beads do reduce radiation to the headset on a hands-free kit, although we would still recommend the RF3Air tube as this eliminates the necessity for the ferrite bead.

However, you are correct when you say that this will not stop the radiation from affecting whatever part of your body the phone is next to. Back trouser pockets are probably as good as anything due to being further away from your important organs (heart, reproductive organs etc...), but you cannot stop yourself from being hit by the RF radiation. Certainly a regular headset is better than a bluetooth one, though providing you only wear it to take calls they are much better than the phone itself.

Hope that helps,
Graham Philips
Technical Manager
Powerwatch UK (http://www.powerwatch.org.uk)

Collapse -
Gold Headset Package...
by niagarafalls / May 26, 2005 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Ferrite Beads

if you must use your phone the Gold Headset Package from RFSAFE.COM is the the only solution for a system of using your cell phone safer. Do the research! it`s common sense! Air-tube Headset, Ferrite...because you still have the exposure from the wire running across your body and the 4"x7" pocket Shield for your body protection. No magical stick on beads or patches here...just the facts! Not only products that work but the largest online RF media in the world! dont beleive me...do a Google search
Please visit our forums with your RF issues, concerns & comments.

Collapse -
Gold Headset Package...
by niagarafalls / May 26, 2005 6:32 AM PDT

if you must use your phone the Gold Headset Package from RFSAFE.COM is the the only solution for a system of using your cell phone safer. Do the research! it`s common sense! Air-tube Headset, Ferrite...because you still have the exposure from the wire running across your body and the 4"x7" pocket Shield for your body protection. No magical stick on beads or patches here...just the facts! Not only products that work but the largest online RF media in the world! dont beleive me...do a Google search
Please visit our forums with your RF issues, concerns & comments.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.