Phones forum

General discussion

Cell phone for the hard of hearing

by Joanxpe / January 20, 2005 10:49 PM PST

A friend is hearing impaired. Uses digital hearing aids. She wants to buy a cell phone. I said I would help her.

Can anyone give me advice or suggestions as to which to buy for this situation?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cell phone for the hard of hearing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cell phone for the hard of hearing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i think
by PudgyOne / January 21, 2005 12:39 AM PST

I think most carriers have to have cell phones for the hearing impaired. There was something in one of the forums about this. Try a search for it here and see.

Also I have an Audiovox 8610 and it has a speakerphone. I know someone that has a hearing aid, and they would be able to hear the other person talking on the speakerphone.

You might want to take the person along and visit a carrier and see what they have to offer. Don't comit yourself until you are sure what plan the person wants.

good luck

Collapse -
by Adamn Castro / August 7, 2009 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: i think

OK, as a hard of hearing person, I have to spread the word.... totally rocks! Last week, I was surfiing the net and I came across this site. I asked some of my hard of hearing friends about it, and they hadn't heard about it. I think it's relatively new. When I inquired about the services they offer, I found out they have FREE RELAY! I registered right away. Here's how it works....The phone operators take calls from both hearing and hard of hearing people. When the hearing person is speaking, the conversation is sent by text through the internet or to an IP phone screen. Go to the site for more details. The great thing is I can stay on the phone for long periods of time and gossip with my friends and have my late night chats with grama and stuff and actually afford it!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And guys, it's so easy to register. You just sign up and give them your number . As the site says....They take care of the rest!!!

Collapse -
Cell phone for the hard of hearing
by Tenichi1 / January 21, 2005 12:43 PM PST

Nokia have a good speaker phone. They all use the headset that hopefully helps your friend.

Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 23, 2005 2:06 AM PST

Many Nokia handsets are compatible with a special headset loop that is designed to work w/ hearing aids. I don't know the model # of the device, but check w/ her carrier to determine what is available or go to the Nokia website. I hope that helps.

Collapse -
Been there, Done That & Still There!
by topspin / January 27, 2005 2:42 AM PST

I've used a neck loop with an older Nokia phone for about 6 years and it works fine. Few people in the cell phone business offices are familiar with this so you will be on your own to track down a source. A hearing aide must be equipped with a T coil in order for it to work. I don't know about your friend but my hearing loss is such that I can't understand a speaker phone. I have given up trying to explain to people that hearing aides make sounds louder, but do not necessarily make them easy to understand. My cell phone with the neck loop is the clearest phone I have used. This includes my desk top one that has an amplified handset plus a Radio Shack in line amplifier.

Collapse -
BlueTooth Solution
by case42 / July 23, 2007 6:04 AM PDT

Have you considered an ALD (Assistive Listening Device) like DirectLink's Blue Freedom? If you have DAI interface, you can plug a bluetooth module directly in, and use your Bluetooth cell phone capabilities, with a direct connection. If you use T-Coil, I heard a rumor that they'll have a T-Coil version soon - There's a retailer at

There ya go!

Collapse -
Different options
by LucJs / August 12, 2009 5:55 AM PDT

A speakerphone often does the job, the only drawback is that you don't have privacy with other people around. If your friend is aged, make sure she knows how to activate such a function in the phone's menu or she should really look for a phone where you can switch the speakerphone on with one single button.

A T-coil with a neck loop also helps. But same here, you need a specific hearing aid with T-coil and many of those require the user to toggle a switch to activate the T-coil.

Collapse -
Clarity Cellphones
by olatou / December 8, 2012 10:44 AM PST

I was just reading on the internet and it seems Clarity a phone maker for the hard of hearing is coming out with a cellphone, aimed at senior citizens. I have a house phone from them and am very satisfied with it. I'm considering getting one of their cell phones.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.