Phones forum

General discussion

Cell Phone for Low Vision Elderly Parent

by pjohnso / September 8, 2004 2:03 PM PDT

I am looking for a cell phone for my elderly mother. She is almost blind and has arthritis. We have tried a Motorola 120C but it really doesn't work for her in many ways. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cell Phone for Low Vision Elderly Parent
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cell Phone for Low Vision Elderly Parent
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Cell Phone for Low Vision Elderly Parent
by electfew / September 24, 2004 4:45 PM PDT

If you can take her out, then I'd take her to a place like Radio Shack to see the phones for herself. This way, she'll be able to pick the one that meets her needs. If she can't go out, then I'd go and see them myself and ask the salesperson which phones have the largest fonts? Also a backlit keypad, or numbers big enough that are lit (LG phones have this- hubby has the VX4400). Also, I'd check for the largest buttons on the keypads. Try to find a simple one, without all the bells and whistles, which she won't want to use, and pay for either. Simplicity is the key in this situation. My mother is older, but even though her eyesight is good, she is still scared of technology. A lot of people are in their 70's on. So don't get discouraged, just be patient with her and it will be fine.

Collapse -
by fds / November 10, 2004 11:38 AM PST

I would say the motorola v180, or the v600 even though they are expensive and are probally much for her they both have huge keypads and the screen numbers when dialing are very large

Collapse -
by ray.gonzales / March 2, 2005 4:34 AM PST

I would try http://www.etoengineering.com. They sell accessible cell phones for people with disabilities and the elderly. They have solutions for the blind and low vision user.

Collapse -
by Rich819 / November 14, 2004 11:16 AM PST

See Low Vision Post on 11/14

Collapse -
by tom kurtz / November 30, 2004 1:51 AM PST

I read about the LG NS1000 phone. This was designed for the elderly, but currently being offered only in Korea.

If you are aware of a good phone with similar features, i.e. easy to use, large keys, please let me know.

Collapse -
by ojmercado / March 7, 2005 10:35 AM PST

I am a volunteer for the blind and I have to tell you that there are several models out in the market. The Motorola V180 is one of many you can choose from. In selecting a cell phone for her you need to make sure that the keys stick out so that she can feel the buttons. Also make sure that the phone has voice-dialing; if will take some time to program the phone, but it will be worth it. You can also have the phone enter her password of choice automatically when she checks her voicemail. With those features alone you should be able to find several models.

Collapse -
Cell Phone for Low Vision Elderly Parent
by susanneff / September 18, 2005 12:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
elderly cell phone!!!
by fearlesssolo / January 29, 2007 6:03 AM PST

This is a great deal for the elderly-----www.jitterbug.com
They have cell phones that are great for the elderly. They even program the pbone for you so that you don't have to fool with that mess. The phones are 147.00 and they can split that up into 3 montly payments on your montly bill. The plans are very simple--example: 60 minutes=20.00----150 minutes=30.00 and they have an emergeny plan that only calls 911 for 10.00/month.
hope this will help someone that is looking for a cell phone for the elderly but young at heart!!!!!!!!! Happy
God Bless,
Lana the fearlessredbird

Collapse -
Jitterbug
by MeanDonnaJean / July 5, 2008 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: elderly cell phone!!!

I'll second that "Jitterbug" answer. The Jitterbug has a larger than normal keypad and screen/font size and is perfect for those folks who don't want to have to fool around with all of the crazy technology that's thrown into most other phones nowadays. One could equate the Jitterbug to those good o' rotary dial phones we all had in the past (ahhhhh, those certainly WERE the days!)....its a no-nonsense no-hassle completely basic phone....which is just what a lotta us ol' geezers out here want/need. Do some research online and see for yourself. It might be just what the doctor ordered!

Collapse -
JitterBug Is Your Phone
by nycplayboy78 / February 1, 2007 8:47 PM PST

Please check this site out:

http://www.jitterbug.com/

They have phones that are what they are...PHONES...Big buttons and brightly lit.

Dan

Collapse -
This may help!
by JoeE71 / July 2, 2008 6:15 AM PDT

Those other phones given to you are good for cell phones, but I have one that is perfect for an analog phone. It is called FotoDialer. It allows the user to dial numbers by photo. So, when they want to call, "Bob" they just find Bob in the FotoDialer and push a button
next to his picture. The pictures are easy to see (2x3 inch), with 24 available slots. There are 6 pages with 4 pictures a page. It is like a photo album/speed dial mix. You don't have to buy a new phone as FotoDialer connects into the existing analog phone.
http://www.photodialing.com/
or
http://www.fotodialer.com/
Good luck!

Collapse -
Some Elder Friendly Phones to Try
by eldergadget / August 21, 2009 6:00 AM PDT

First of all, I commend you for taking the time to do this for your mother. She is lucky to have you as a son. The fact that she has vision problems and arthritis will make it difficult to use any phone because most work by either sight or touch. That said, you might try a vibrating "Braille" phone. I have read about one such phone developed by Tsukuba University of technology in Japan. The phone sends out vibrations that send out Braille symbols. It claims to be a breakthrough for those with sight and hearing difficulties. You can read about it at http://eldergadget.com/products/product_reviews/japan-develops-first-vibrating-braille-cell-phone/. You might the Jitterbug one touch which has operator assistance to make the call. Cnet has reviewed this phone and you can find the review at http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/samsung-jitterbug-onetouch-sph/4505-6454_7-32115165.html. Jitterbug makes other voice recogniton phones which are edler and low vision friendly as well. You might also want to try the Samsung knack or the Nokia 2610, which is a low cost senior friendly phone, both of which have been recently reviewed by ElderGadget. You can see the reviews at http://eldergadget.com/cell-phones/top-6-cell-phones-for-seniors/ and decide for yourself. Again, I applaud your efforts and the love you show your mother by doing this for her. All the best, EJ from ElderGadget

Collapse -
Cell phone for elderly parents
by JessTexan / November 14, 2009 3:05 PM PST

I brought my Mother the JitterBug phone. It has large numbers, a large screen and best of all it has a yes or no menu. It is very easy for my Mom to use.Hope this helps:-) jess

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.