Phones forum

General discussion

cell phone brand that gets the best reception in bad areas

by driv4810 / March 9, 2007 1:29 PM PST

I am constantly in and around areas that are not good for cell phone reception. Consequently, the call quality is poor. I was wondering if someone that knows about this problem could suggest a couple cingular non-smartphone cell phones that are around or below 100 for this problem. Also, I realize that he could add an external antenna but I would like to know the best cell phone for this problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cell phone brand that gets the best reception in bad areas
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cell phone brand that gets the best reception in bad areas
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pantech PG-C120
by jveltre1300 / March 10, 2007 10:48 AM PST

It's about a hundred dollars and is a tiny candy bar with a camera great reception and my favorite of many phones. I am switching back over to cingular again just to use it because i loved it and i am done with CDMA forever. you can only buy it as a gophone on the website but it works with a regular account sim card and it is worth having. It is $89.99 on the cingular webstie with webg discount and $149.99 in store and you will not have an antenna.

Collapse -
Pantech PG-C120
by leastun / March 11, 2007 12:58 AM PST

So you are saying this cell phone will work well in the open ranges like Wyoming, Utah, etc? We will be traveling in those areas during the summer. Last year we were out in those areas and the cell phone I currently have could not get any service. I want it for emergencies, but if an emergency would have come up out there I would not have been able to contact anyone. Thanks!!!

Collapse -
Cell reception
by AE123456 / March 12, 2007 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Pantech PG-C120

Hope this helps...Having just driven accross Wyoming with two cell phones, a Sprint Treo 700p and Verizon Samsung SCHA-870. Lost signal for a brief period in very remote Wyoming with the Verizon and had almost no signal except near Cheyenne and Casper with the Sprint - It is definately carrier related more so than phone. Verizon has worked very well for me here in the rocky mountain states.

Collapse -
Switch to a better carrier
by walthouse / March 11, 2007 12:52 PM PDT

I recommend switching to a better carrier, Verizon Wireless. Their coverage in rural areas is dramatically superior to Cingular. I would make the switch and get a LGVX8300 for $50.

Collapse -
To those who answer "change carriers"
by sdwiggy / November 24, 2012 1:12 AM PST

Changing carriers is not a useful response. If I wanted to change carriers, I would. I really appreciate those who actually answer the question of what PHONE provides the best reception since that is what was asked.

Collapse -
I have to write none.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2012 1:16 AM PST

Just recently at the office we changed a few phones (6?) and coverage was identical from phone to phone.

This means the advice to change carriers is the right answer in our hands on, did it for real tests.

It's not the phone that determines the coverage.

Collapse -
Thread closed
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 24, 2012 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: I have to write none.

This thread was started in 2007 and has served it's course. Time for a lock and if someones wants to debate further, they can start a new thread.

Collapse -
Agreed with walthouse
by BygDon / March 12, 2007 4:20 AM PDT

For best coverage "in the middle of nowhere" Verizon is your best bet. Probably not phone related

Collapse -
Cell Phone Range
by leastun / March 12, 2007 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Agreed with walthouse

Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate all the good advise. I will definitely switch carriers.

Collapse -
Best Cell Phone Coverage
by testament99 / March 14, 2007 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Cell Phone Range

Right now I have found out that if you use a Cingular phone with 3G service you will get better coverage and fewer dropped calls that with other carriers and also better then even Cingular's non 3G phones

Collapse -
by driv4810 / March 17, 2007 3:45 PM PDT

I'm the one that posted the forum. Verizon and Alltel, which are good for rule areas, are not available in my area. Therefore,I am out of luck with most of the posts to this forum.

Collapse -
by leastun / March 18, 2007 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Verizon

Have you looked into the Trak Phone or Cricket?

Collapse -
When traveling
by itsdigger / November 24, 2012 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: Verizon

in and out of remote areas it really makes no difference what brand the phone is. I have the best luck by putting my phone in the Roam mode, it will cost for the roaming fees but you'll generally get some reception..ust a thought.....Digger

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.