Phones

General discussion

Cell phone automatic screen lockout pro and con

by NateofCA / June 15, 2013 11:40 PM PDT

I'm posting this with hope this feature will be given serious thought by cell phone manufacturers who participate in this forum. The automatic screen lockout timer is a blessing and curse. It gives us peace of mind about security in case our phone is lost or stolen but it's a pain (and even adds to the danger of cell phone use while driving) when you need to use you need to look at your cell phone often such as using a map and/or GPS features on the phone. What is needed is the ability to temporarily suspend the cell phone screen lockout timer for a set period of time that is selectable. Maybe a few selections such as 10, 30 and 60 minutes would be good. This has been bugging me for a while in cell phones and I thought maybe by now some cell phone manufacturers would have this implemented. Maybe some have and I'd like to know who they are if so. It's not implemented in my LG Optimus smart phone I purchased last fall at least. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cell phone automatic screen lockout pro and con
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cell phone automatic screen lockout pro and con
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Temporarily suspend lock screen
by dredre031 / June 16, 2013 2:47 AM PDT

I'm not exactly sure what your phone is capable of, but I think you might just need to tinker with it a little more. There are apps available that can disable your lock screen or suspend it for a set amount of time. Search "no lock screen" in the Google Play Store (or your store of preference). I have an HTC EVO 4G LTE which was released April 2012. One of my favorite apps I use is the amazing app Tasker which I have set to, among other things, automatically disable my lock screen when I am connected to either my home or work Wi-Fi. Tasker could preform a similar action when my phone is docked in my vehicle or when a particular app is open. (i.e. Google Maps or Navigation) I also have Secure Settings which would allow me to place a widget on my desktop that would disable my lock screen with just one tap. And even without the fancy apps I can simply extend my lock screen timeout up to 30 minutes in the Settings menu with just a few clicks.
The capabilities of today's (and even yesterday's) phones are astounding. Perhaps you underestimate what yours can already do. If you can't adjust your lock timeout settings there most certainly are apps available that can fulfill your needs.

Collapse -
RTFM
by Pepe7 / June 16, 2013 2:17 PM PDT

Most if not all phones can quickly disable such lock screen as needed. Just turn it back on when you get out of the car.

It's sort of redundant to define what constitutes a dangerous activity or distraction while driving. Almost anything could be a potential distraction to a driver. Just train yourself to only look at the phone for something absolutely vital while driving, or put it in the back seat so you cannot tempt yourself (if you don't have the will power).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.