Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cell phone as a modem for a faxing

by huuuligan / February 20, 2007 9:30 AM PST

I have a Samsung VI660 phone for which I bought a data cable. I installed the drivers to give it the ability to act as a modem, and I'm able to connect to a dial up internet account using the cell phone as a modem.

The problem is, I can't seem to get it send faxes, and I'm not sure if there is anyway to do this. I thought if the cell phone could handshake and establish an internet connection, it should also be able to handshake to establish a modem-fax connection. I confirmed that the fax machine I'm trying to send to is giving a handshake when the number is called. When I attempt to fax using the cell phone, I can see it dialing out, but it never establishes a connection.

modem settings:
max speed:230400
Port Settings:
User Fifo>yes
receive buffer>high
transmit buffer>high
COM port 4
Cancel call if not connected within 180 seconds
port speed:230400
data bits>8
parity>none
stop bits>1
data protocol, compression, flow control, modulation settings not available/grayed out.

Any ideas?

Also, PLEASE don't post "suggestion" replies about internet faxing services such as eFax, Venali, etc, ect. I already know about all of those, thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cell phone as a modem for a faxing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cell phone as a modem for a faxing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Contact your Cell Phone Company
by linux_trojan / February 20, 2007 9:38 AM PST

As far as I know, contecting your computer to the internet via a cell phone is a service provided by your cell phone company. You can also send faxes, but as far as I can remember, that is also a service your cell phone company provides. That was back when I was using T-Mobile, about 3 years ago. I dont think things have changed that much.

Collapse -
Do you remember way back when?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2007 9:40 AM PST

A modem was a modem? And later they added fax capability? It's been so many years that many forget that modems for communications didn't do fax. Your cell phone MUST support such. Check with them and ask the supplier and maker rather than spend too much time on this.

Bob

Collapse -
Fax by phone problems - some thoughts.
by Papa Echo / February 20, 2007 10:00 AM PST

Are you using the phone as a modem, i.e. you send fax from a computer via its fax program, or are you using it as a Fax machine, whereby you configure your phone as a fax machine, a phone utility which does not apply to all hand phones ? Have you confirmed that the "modem" is a data/fax modem ?

Also, the phone's modem connection would be very very slow - 5-10 Kbps, or lower ? Perhaps the fax machine at the other end was just waiting for the data then timed out ?

Collapse -
more info
by huuuligan / February 20, 2007 10:18 AM PST

"Are you using the phone as a modem, i.e. you send fax from a computer via its fax program"
> Yes

"are you using it as a Fax machine, whereby you configure your phone as a fax machine"
>No

How would you tell it was a data/fax modem vs. some other type of modem?

Collapse -
New Age
by jamesej123 / August 5, 2009 5:35 PM PDT

You may find the odd phone these days that is fax capable when used as a modem but most these days are data only(will only connect to the internet). Though the sounds (handshake) sound the same the AT strings being transmitted are different If in the setup menu for the phone you find a connection option "receive next call as fax" or similar then your phone is capable of being used as a fax modem for your computer. If not then most likely it can only be used as a data modem.

Collapse -
Motorola V60 and T720
by jamesej123 / August 5, 2009 5:41 PM PDT

I had to go back to these two older phones (Motorola V60 and T720) to get fax capability

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.