Phones forum

General discussion

CDMA+GSM combination phone

by ericthai / September 9, 2004 12:19 AM PDT

Hey guys

I just heard Verizon had came out with a new quad band phone that can do CDMA and GSM, its a Samsung A790. While in the US it will use Verizon's CDMA network while roaming outside it will be on Verizon's partner Vodafone's GSM network. Until now i have not heard of a phone that can do both GSM and CDMA. Does anyone know of any other phone that can do GSM and CDMA from Moto, Nokia, Sony? I am not a big fan of the usual tacky Verizon offering brands such as Samsung, LG, Kyocera or Audiovox!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CDMA+GSM combination phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CDMA+GSM combination phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CDMA+GSM combination phone
by hh / September 9, 2004 1:32 AM PDT

As far as I know this is the first such phone. It is 'digital only' CDMA (no analog) while in USA. I saw it in the Verizon store, but not on their web site yet.

Collapse -
by dave1973 / September 9, 2004 3:08 AM PDT

I heard about it too. These phones are supposed to be for world travelers, where it'll use CDMA in the USA, but in other countries, especially in Europe, use GSM. But I wonder if these phones will be used to eliminate analog by allowing roaming when the phone can't detect a CDMA signal.

Collapse -
by ericthai / September 9, 2004 11:35 AM PDT

just did search on motorola.com they just came out with a cdma+gsm fone of their own. the motorola a840 look sweet kinda like a v710 look like same spec except the cdma+gsm part, donno if its bluetooth or not, cant imagine they coming out with a high end fone like this with no bluetooth hmmm

i think these cdma+gsm fone in the US are basically design especially for verizon they are the only major provider who else use cdma.

Collapse -
by dave1973 / September 9, 2004 11:41 AM PDT

> i think these cdma+gsm fone in the US are basically > design especially for verizon they are the only > major provider who else use cdma

Sprint, US Cellular, Cricket, and Alltel are ones that come to my mind that use CDMA.
T-Mobile, Cingular, AT&T (will be Cingular at the end of the year), Einstein, and Centennial Wireless use GSM, and Centennial just started using GSM.
Nextel is supposed to come out with a phone that will also have GSM in it too, besides their proprietary digital standard, IDEN.

Collapse -
by FIL / December 12, 2004 1:06 PM PST

Thanks for the info. I've been waiting for this combination of CDMA & GSM, in one unit, for a long time. Thing is I don't like Samsung Cell Phones. Having had two diffrent models. SCH N370 & SPH N400. Both models had FLAKEY software, although the phones look good physically. The A840, which I've never heard of until now, is a Motorola phone, and I've always liked Moitorola phones back to the Micro Tacf and the Star Tac.

Collapse -
Re: CDMA+GSM phone
by viv / June 27, 2005 1:00 PM PDT

i saw the specs on the manual of the nokia 6630 and it has global roaming with WCDMA and EGSM 900/1800/1900 networks. i still wonder though if i need the fourth band (850 frequency that is) as it seems its only for the US (in order to get wider coverage). my main conern is in japan and korea. i get no signal there with my tri-band that has no CDMA. with the nokia 6630 they say i can. i still have to find a quad band with CDMA though. anyone know?

Collapse -
CDMA and GSM
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 27, 2005 1:04 PM PDT

I don't have any specific models or time frame, but I did verify with a local Verizon store that there will be at least one additional model coming soon. I also learned that the phone will switch to GSM domestically if no CDMA coverage is available.

Collapse -
CDMA and GSM
by dave1973 / June 28, 2005 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: CDMA and GSM

If that phone automatically switches to GSM when no CDMA coverage is available, then people can expect roaming charges as Verizon Wireless only has roaming agreements with select CDMA carriers, mainly US Cellular & Alltel, which come off the top of my head. I don't think Verizon & Sprint have roaming agreements as when I traveled into sw Michigan around Benton Harbor & Niles, Sprint has coverage around there, but Alltel picks up any calls I get. But back to the subject, I believe the other phone that'll come out will rarely switch to GSM as there's more CDMA coverage in the USA than with GSM. The old Voicestream brought GSM to the USA, but it took AT&T & Cingular to switch and try to build up their networks based on GSM.

Collapse -
Combo phone
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 28, 2005 2:02 PM PDT
In reply to: CDMA and GSM

I agree that the phone would rarely switch to GSM while in the United States. My only point is that in an area that has absolutely no CDMA or Analog coverage, the phone has a 3rd alternative (vs. no coverage at all). AT&T and Cingular had a similar phone that switched between GSM, Analog and TDMA but those phones are no longer available.

Collapse -
CDMA & GSM in 1 phone
by cabfeldman / March 21, 2011 1:43 AM PDT

I have been using the HTC TouchPro II for a year now. It operates on my Sprint CDMA network when I'm in the USA, and I use it in GSM mode with its own (different) phone number on the BTL network when in Belize.

Collapse -
Motorola Photon has both CDMA and GSM
by Sgbenne / November 27, 2012 5:46 AM PST

My Photon has both, and is a 4g phone. The new Photon LTE does not.

Collapse -
Time for this thread to be closed.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 27, 2012 7:14 AM PST

This thread was started in 2004 and the last comment prior to today was in 2011. If anyone wants to debate further, start a new thread. Thread closed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.