Computer Help forum

General discussion

CD-RW Drive won't read Any type of Disc

by newageprof2005 / January 26, 2005 10:12 AM PST

My CD-RW drive is having problems reading any type of disc. When I insert a disc, It makes whining sounds, then stops reading the disc. I'm wondering, is this a hardware or software problem (problem with drive, or problem with driver), and where or how can I find a way to fix it?

Operating System: Windows XP
Drive name: ASUS CRW-4824AH
Firmware Revision: N/A

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD-RW Drive won't read Any type of Disc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD-RW Drive won't read Any type of Disc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CD-RW Drive won't ready Any Type of Disc
by shawn2ez / March 14, 2005 12:47 PM PST

Hey I have the same problem. Did anyone respond?

Collapse -
CD-RW Drive won't ready Any Type of Disc
by zezee3 / January 24, 2007 1:39 PM PST

After installing Windows Xp (SP2) my driver will not read any CD's anymore either. What can we all do about this? It was working fine before, but now it will not read anything either.

Collapse -
Why Not Post Your Own Topic?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 25, 2007 12:45 AM PST

This thread is almost two years old.. Have you searched the forums for this common topic? Lots of things can be found..

1. After a reinstall of XP, you need to reinstall all drivers.. Motherboard, video, audio, etc. for all hardware to be recognized. Have you done that. Likewise, does the drive have the latest firmware? Have you visited the Windows Update site and installed all the most recent Critical Updates? If not, please do.. A few fixes were added.

2. Does the CD-drive show up in Device Manager? In "My Computer"?

3. Checked the BIOS to confirm that the device is listed there?

4. If it's not showing up in Device Manager or "My Computer", have you checked to make sure all cables and connections are secure? (Disconnect, then reconnect.)

5. Tried fixing the "upper" and "Lower" filters registry entry?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

6. If the drive is old, have you tried replacing it?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
ABOUT MY CD DRIVE
by zezee3 / January 25, 2007 1:29 PM PST

Thanks for giving me this information, I have been working all day to update my driver, I also use Sonic Record Now, and my computer does recognize the driver, the only window that I get is when I put a cd into the driver whether it be a CDR or CDRW, is that window that says please insert disc in drive K, which is my Drive letter,
I didn't realize how old this post was until now, as this probelm has just cropped up in my computer. Pavillion a340n, and I did go to HP and found an updatead firmware for my ASUS4824AH, it is listed with a different number, but I am following the instructions and will be installing this update right along, since I just found it. I am saving all this info. the drive shows up in my computer, and shows up in System info, etc., and always says the same thing that there is no probelm with it and all is wroking well as it should. The only other window i get is when I use Record Now, when it stops half way through a burn, and says there was a sproblem with the process, and then what it tells me is that I need to change the manufactures disc or slow down the burn time speed, I have done both of these, and am able to burn discs, but they are not recognized when I insert them in the drawer after the burn, and the red light flashes for a few moments, like it is reading, and then it just shuts off. and windows pops up and says insert CD in drive K. which is my drive.
According to the information I found today, this new driver will fix this problem for me. It also states that it helps with the processing to stop when a Cd speeds up and slows down, and there's optical problems. I guess that's what that means. Anyhow, i have heard my CD burner do this, before. I will be out of town tomorrow so i will have to take the time to do this when I return.
Thanks again for your help here. I have been boggling my brain cells for about a week or so with this, and I know that you guys are all so helpful here. I've been with you all for some time now. and have a pretty good grasp and knowledge of the processes. This one got ahead of me. and now I am going to fix it . It took a while to find the firmware that would actually download for me,
Now, the biggest thing I'm worried about is how it says to install the driver . I need to restart my computer and leave the CD n the disk, and let the computer read from it, but I am not sure it will do that, I'm thinking that if I just do the uninstall, and then restart that Windows will find the driver again, and reinstall it like you told me it would.
This will be the first time that I have done this particular process.
So I am a little timid, and do not want to lose anything in my computer, so I'm doing a backup first,.
Thanks again for you help.

Collapse -
Outcome? - I have same Prob
by angelafr46 / October 2, 2009 1:06 AM PDT
In reply to: ABOUT MY CD DRIVE

This is the first description I've come across in an hour that matches what is happening to my CD/DVD drive on a yr old laptop. The laptop says the drive is working fine, and I've checked BIOS, but the drive won't read anything, and only keeps saying "insert a blank disc" to every disc, blank or not, I put in there. I've restored my computer to a week ago to rule out new software conflicts since the drive was working last week, but no cigar. It's been a couple years since your post, but what ever happened? Thanks.

Collapse -
Quickest way to check is to ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 2, 2009 3:25 AM PDT

put a BOOTABLE cd in the drive then shut down and reboot.

If you don't already have the CD as the first bootable drive enter the BIOS and set it to be the first bootable drive (some computers have a key or key sequence to press that is shown on the initial screen that allows selection of the drive to boot from).

now allow the computer to attempt to boot. If it successfully boots from the CD the drive is OK but if it doesn't boot from the CD it is time to replace the drive itself (they do not last forever and many last only a few months depending on usage and environment).

Now, it is usually in your best interests to start a NEW THREAD for your own problem (link to this old one if you think it might help) because many times these old threads are ignored because forum glitches have been known to pop them up on the initial forum page. New problem threads on the other hand get priority treatment.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by angelafr46 / October 2, 2009 8:53 AM PDT

Edward, thank you for responding with new info for me as I have been so frustrated I just want to go buy a new laptop. Hope the drive is not worn out after one year though. I will start a new thread in the future so thanks for the heads up on that as well!

Collapse -
cant see data on cd
by hiboo / April 2, 2005 8:47 AM PST

I can not see data on any cd I put on the drive the drive response but no data is displayed. Please help. I have a hp a420n and ASUS CRW-4824AH.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.