Dell Inc. OptiPlex 755
2.4 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilotbyte primary mem cache
80 gig hard drive 39 free
MB Dell Inc. 0GM819
BIOS Dell Inc A09 03/11/2008

TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H353B Optical Drive

Memorx External DVD/CD (ArcSoft) burner

Any other info that is helpful I can provide.

OK, computer does not recognize the CD Burner on either drive. It will read from but no write to.

I have used device manager to no avail. I uninstalled the DVD player twice an it did install the main driver.

Still same problem.

In other words, using Windows Media Player, when I add tracks to my burn bucket if you will or place where you would put in your tracks to burn them to a CD/DVD doesnt work. So how do I get my machine to recognize the burner part of the attatched drives, both internal and extenal??

Jetblst has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD ROM wont burn CDs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD ROM wont burn CDs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Jetblst

Collapse -
ROM vs DVD/CDRW
by pgc3 / December 11, 2012 11:32 PM PST
In reply to: CD ROM wont burn CDs

As another poster mentioned, ROM is READ only. Windows XP didn't have burning capability onboard, you'd have to use an aftermarket burning software to accomplish the task, Roxio, Nero and others. The external drive DVD/CDRW is going to pose the same issue, it needs software to run against. Even is the system recognizes it as a USB device it will not likely burn anything without software installed in the system.

Collapse -
More on CD Burning Software
by Jetblst / December 13, 2012 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: ROM vs DVD/CDRW

Well with the DVD burner I just purchased with Memorex they gave me software for making DVD and CD music disks etc. Wouldn't that be the same software as NERO?

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 5:50 AM PST

I've used too many titles and they are never the same. Usually it's just more or less features, menu's and interfaces vary. But there are fine free choices for most of what folk need to do.
Bob

Collapse -
Weird problem indeed.
by Jetblst / December 13, 2012 12:56 PM PST
In reply to: No.

So I downloaded a freebo burner program.

Well now it sees the drives at least but it doesnt see the disc. It give an error "Please insert a writable disc"

Collapse -
Odd
by Jetblst / December 13, 2012 12:58 PM PST
In reply to: No.

Now it sees the drive, but does not see the disc. I downloaded a freebee burner software program added a few tracks and to no avail.

Stumped.

Collapse -
Sounds like an old drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 2:59 PM PST
In reply to: Odd

In PC years, a 2 year old drive can be dead.
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by Jetblst / December 13, 2012 4:10 PM PST

Is there any diagnostic to run to see? However I am thinking its ok. As above I have a brand new Memorex external DVD burner that I think is working. It appears that the computer somehow is not recognizing either drives as burner drives.

Collapse -
Yes. Try it on another PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: ok

Also there are other reasons such as media or a cluttered PC with CD emulators but I don't see that here.
Bob

Collapse -
First..the PC must recognize the CD_DVD drive(s)
by VAPCMD / December 14, 2012 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: ok

no matter whether internal /external and thereafter, the system must have CD-DVD burning software to create/copy CD-DVDs. As operating systems go, XP does NOT have built in CD_DVD burning such so you must supply it.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Burning Software
by Jetblst / December 14, 2012 2:52 PM PST

Downloaded a freebie program for burning CDs. No luck still does not want to burn or recognize the burner drives as burner drives.

Collapse -
Given the price for a decent CD-DVD burner $15-$30...
by VAPCMD / December 14, 2012 10:48 PM PST
In reply to: Burning Software

might be best to bite the bullet and just replace the internal CD-DVD.

Re the external...like someone else suggested might try that on another PC.

R. Proffitt often mentions a registry problem referring to 'upper limits' that might be worth looking at too....there are some of those posts on CNET about that.

Keep us posted how it works out.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
New Info.
by Jetblst / December 14, 2012 3:06 PM PST
In reply to: ROM vs DVD/CDRW

Well this may help explain. Not sure what it means but I think I need a new drive.

I did a Pre Boot test in BIOS (Diagnostics)

When the CD ROM was tested it returned a "Spindle Test Failed" result.

Error Code: 2000-0147

So looks like it IS in fact time for new drive unless someone has a tip on how to fix that.

Thanks!

Collapse -
New drive....might take a moment to check out the buyer
by VAPCMD / December 14, 2012 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: New Info.

reviews on CD-DVD burners over at Newegg.com. At least that gives you some perspective on how actual buyers rate CD-DVD drives they bought that should be currently available.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
Re: burning
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 5:24 PM PST

The DVD-ROM can't burn ('RO' is read-only).

The external burner should be able to burn, but only if it isn't defective. So the first thiing to do: try it on another PC to see if it's OK. That's a basic diagnostic.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Unless there's CD-DVD burning SW on the PC, it won't create
by VAPCMD / December 12, 2012 6:15 AM PST

or write CDs or DVDs.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.