Windows 7

Question

CD-ROM Not Reading/USB Drive Reading As CD-Rom

by K82P / February 18, 2013 3:48 AM PST

Hi all,

I am hoping someone will be able to give me some sort of advice as to what may be going on and/or what to do, or where to go next. I have a Gateway NV73 LapTop...that possibly may not even matter, though. I am using windows 7.

I've recently (a month ago) installed Magic Jack onto my laptop-and have had zero issues until now. I was in the process of writing/burning a music CD via Nero 7 Premium. I was on my 2nd CD (I finished one CD, and it worked just fine), when all of a sudden my computer would no longer read my blank CD ...later to realize that is was not reading any CD. And even later to realize that my computer was reading my USB post (where my Magic Jack is installed) as my CD Drive.

Ive tried DVDS, CDS, and it will not pick up anything. It always prompts me to "insert a CD and opens my CD door). So, it opens and closes fine...the green light goes on and then off. And it even registers as if it is TRYING to read the CD drive because the CD light above my keyboard constantly is blinking on and off.

I've uninstalled Nero. I've cleaned the registry via PC tolls registry cleaner. Ive even deleted the filters (both lower and upper). And nothing has worked. I wiped off the CD lens too.

Does this appear to possibly be something installed on my computer that is suspicious....?
Any words of wisdom will help. I use my CD-Rom all the time!

Thank you in advance!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD-ROM Not Reading/USB Drive Reading As CD-Rom
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD-ROM Not Reading/USB Drive Reading As CD-Rom
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Nero 7???
by wpgwpg / February 18, 2013 4:29 AM PST

I just dug up an old Nero 9 box and looked at the supported versions of Windows. It only supports XP, not Vista or Windows 7, and you say you have Nero 7? No wonder you're having problems. I went out and bought Nero Burn Express in mid 2010 to use with Windows 7. I don't know how you would've managed to get Nero 7 to install with Windows 7, but if that's really the case, that has to be your problem. I'd back up any data I didn't want to lose and restore to factory settings, buy a current version of disc burning software or get the free Imgburn.

Good luck.

Collapse -
CD-ROM Not Reading/ USB Showing as CD Rom
by K82P / February 18, 2013 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: Nero 7???

Thanks for the reply.......Im not really sure what to think. Because I have had Nero and been using it fine without any issues for over a year now...on this same Laptop with windows 7. I did not know about the conflict, I just bought it and downloaded it online. Maybe I was given the wrong version on accident. And then just out of nowhere, while using it yesterday to burn, it completely stopped reading my c. disc drive.

Its just weird now that the Magic Jack is involved in some way, since my laptop is reading the USB drive as my CD-Rom drive....I dont know what to think....if it's a delayed response from the Magic Jack or from the Nero...or both.

Collapse -
by K82P / February 18, 2013 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: Nero 7???

Also......I'm a bit confused. How am I able to "back up" anything...because I am not able to use my CD-Rom drive at all in order to "burn" anything?????????

Collapse -
You can back up to flash or external hard drive
by wpgwpg / February 18, 2013 10:06 AM PST

You don't need a CD drive for backup. What you need is a USB flash drive or external hard drive.

Collapse -
Answer
Magic Beans?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 4:58 AM PST
Collapse -
by K82P / February 18, 2013 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: Magic Beans?

Thanks...well as I stated above in my reply, Im not sure what to think about where my problem is arising from (the Magic Jack or the Nero), since I have been using BOTH of them fine, with out issues, for a while now. Thus, I am not sure WHERE to start in my route to solving this issue.

Collapse -
Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 9:48 AM PST

Once in a while a member will not think this or that is the issue/cause and they'll wonder where to start. For me it's always to see what others have done and then try it.
Bob

Collapse -
I've been using MagicJack for years w/no problems
by wpgwpg / February 18, 2013 10:09 AM PST

I've had MagicJack since before Windows 7 came out and never have had any problems with it. Get yourself a flash drive and back up your data or you'll be sorry. You can buy 16 GB ones for under $10 now and 32 GB ones for under $20. That's mighty cheap insurance.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.