Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

CD Rom Icon in My Computer

by gobob2 / January 9, 2004 1:12 AM PST

I have Win XP Pro. When I open My Computer the two icons for my Zip250 and my CDRom are the same. They use to be different. The devices work properly when used. Is there any way to change the icons back to what they were? Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD Rom Icon in My Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD Rom Icon in My Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:CD Rom Icon in My Computer
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2004 1:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Re:CD Rom Icon in My Computer
by gobob2 / January 9, 2004 2:15 AM PST

No luck. The two icons are still zip icons. Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) So you got that patch from Microsoft too?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2004 2:24 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:(NT) So you got that patch from Microsoft too?
by gobob2 / January 9, 2004 2:38 AM PST

Not the patch. I did the workaround. Microsoft won't give me the patch because I have OEM software.

Collapse -
OEM's are to supply you the patch on demand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2004 12:33 AM PST

It's part of their aggreement to sell/use the OEM version.

It's a cosmetic failure at this point and most likely the patch will show up in the next SP.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:CD Rom Icon in My Computer
by gobob2 / January 11, 2004 3:58 AM PST

Thanks everyone for all the help. Bob

Collapse -
Either ignore it or have fun.
by Cursorcowboy / January 9, 2004 11:34 PM PST

The article, "Resources for Troubleshooting Startup Problems in Windows XP (Q308041)" outlines several types of startup problems and provides information in approximately eleven areas besides suggested reading in approximately seven additional articles -- yes I know this isn't specifically related to startup problems. Use this lengthy procedure, its described and referenced links in each section, to see if you can ferrit out whether you can circumvent or reconfigure either of those item so it can be later reinstated correctly -- we certainly cannot see what is listed either correctly or not in Device Manager. Keep in mind however since you mention this is an OEM system, you may become very frustrated with the instructions and tips since you mostlikely do not own a retail XP media.

Collapse -
Re:Either ignore it or have fun.
by gobob2 / January 10, 2004 3:26 AM PST

I do have the retail XP install cd. I have no idea how to fix the problem with the cd. Any ideas? Thanks

Collapse -
Fair warning. I haven't tried this. You can?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2004 3:52 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Re:Either ignore it or have fun.
by Cursorcowboy / January 11, 2004 10:18 PM PST

Please note that the article [Q823293] discusses a bug situation in WinXP where connecting a removable media storage device (for example, a universal serial bus [USB] drive ("includes ZIP drives)), the default drive icon and drive label that you selected when you set up the drive do not appear. Instead, the standard Windows drive icon and drive label appear. A supported hotfix is available, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. This hotfix may receive additional testing and therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next service pack.

Collapse -
by Quaint Data / January 10, 2004 9:40 AM PST

the icons on your desktop are or should be just shortcuts, you can either delete them then go to your c drive where your roms are located and change the icons by righclicking on them, change icon, you must have the themes or your previous icon somewhere on your pc just find where it is and use them again.
Create a shortcut then put on your desktop, change icon same as before.
You can download icons themes from here.
http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/
you can rename them dvd or cdrw etc wityhout any problems. Wink

Collapse -
by joehawk1 / January 10, 2004 1:33 PM PST

Some time ago I posted a problem with my CDROM icon suddenly not being able to find it's target ie: CDROM. Robert suggested I run sfc /scannow which, after running, at least the icon again had the ability to find the target.[Thankyou again, Robert]. I was not however able to get full function from the icon. A week ago I reverted back to a mirror I had made with TrueImage a year ago. The CDROM icon shortcut worked perfectly. I subsequently updated all the Critical Microsoft Updates, with the immediate result that my CDROM icon no longer could find it's target. I reverted back to the non-updated mirror image and the icon is again perfect. I have not updated the critical updates, as I believe there must be a problem with one of them. I have cut down some of the security risks without using the updated via Steve Gibson's site at http://www.grc.com/default.htm . Joe

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.