How To forum

Question

CD Key Extraction?

by gawoods / July 22, 2011 3:46 AM PDT

I have read an article about "How to Find Product Keys Using Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder" and this program works great.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD Key Extraction?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD Key Extraction?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This one is easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2011 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: CD Key Extraction?

There are no keys on the XP CDs from Microsoft so you'll never find them on the CD.

Also there are long discussions about using the key code from some OEM on non-OEM XP CDs. Let's hope you are not looking to repeat that discussion. Hint? Another dead end.
Bob

Collapse -
This one is easy
by gawoods / July 22, 2011 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: This one is easy.

Then how does the setup know that I am not entering the correct key?

Collapse -
That is also widely discussed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2011 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: This one is easy

The key is sent through a check for validity to see if it's one for the version on the CD.

There is no (legal) list of CDKEYS and even if you did use someone else's key Activation and other things shut this machine down later.

--> Why not tell the entire tale? Maybe we can suggest who to contact next?
Bob

Collapse -
That is also widely discussed
by gawoods / July 22, 2011 5:10 AM PDT

This is the whole "tale"

Collapse -
Re: license
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 22, 2011 5:13 AM PDT

Probably they are identical. Anyway, why care?

Kees

Collapse -
The tale is not complete.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2011 5:14 AM PDT

Those "licensed" CDs have a logo or printing on them. The ones from Microsoft use a CDKEY that came with the package. However IT staffers tend to lose them in spite of the value.

If the CDKEY is lost to some Microsoft CD that results in some advice.

If the CD is marked Dell, then the advice changes. But there is so much not told here that we would have to guess and guess and you would be upset as all the bad guesses played out.

Fill in all the blanks.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: license key.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 22, 2011 5:07 AM PDT

It's not on the CD. It's on the COA that comes with the CD.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: license key.
by gawoods / July 22, 2011 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: license key.

I don't know which disc came with this particular machine. I have all twenty COA's but they are not with the original disc. They were initially setup by another tech and then turned over to me. The machine's were issued out and I was given a box with all the documentation, cd's and manual's.

Collapse -
license key?
by gawoods / July 22, 2011 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: license key.

Thank you for trying to help me with this.

Collapse -
So they are not identical disks?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 22, 2011 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: license key?

Say a mixture of different service packs, different OEM's and retail versions, different XP's (Home, Pro, Media Edition), different languages?

Kees

Collapse -
AHA!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2011 6:52 AM PDT

That's the same old discussion about using license keys found on the bottom of laptops.

If you use the right CD (it should not have the Microsoft Logo printed on it) then you NEVER enter in the key on the laptop's bottom.

For example, I use my Dell XP CD and it installs without me typing in the OEM key because the Dell XP CD is modified to work without bothering the owner during install.

Again, the gritty details are missing but you did reveal something that doesn't work. (using OEM CDKEYS on Microsoft "licensed" CDs.)
Bob

Collapse -
license key?
by Awizard2u / July 23, 2011 1:54 AM PDT

Try each disk until the correct one is accepted. Hopefully you'll find the right one early.

Collapse -
Answer
OEM SLP Windows install
by lasvegaswireman / July 22, 2011 4:56 PM PDT

If all the computers are the same, it is likely that the OEM installation keys are also the same. Preactivated (SLP/SLIC) OEM Windows installations are mass distributed and as a result they will not match the unique product KEY on the computer. The OEM installation disk from computer '1' should install fine on any of the other computers, provided they are the same make and model.
Please see the following link concerning SLP (System Locked Preinstallation); http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Locked_Preinstallation
Frank

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.