Storage forum

CD/DVD Writer Causes PC Shutdown

by JohnWRB / August 6, 2013 5:05 AM PDT

I need help with an ongoing CD/DVD Writer issue that's really driving me nuts.

Recently, I had some PC problems (replaced my main system hard drive and repairs were
made to my motherboard's batteries). I had one problem after another. Lately, I've been having consistent problems with my DVD Writer.

When I inserted a DVD or CD, blank or not, my PC shut down as soon as it began to read
the disk. If I booted my PC with a disk in, it shut down immediately. This happened the great majority of the time, but not always.

I tried uninstalling the drivers and adding them back on, but it did not help. I disabled and then enabled the drive. I removed the drive and then added it back in the Device Manager. I also replaced the cable and checked the jumpers. I virus checked my system. The manufacturer suggested that I use Microsoft's Fix It program, but it asked for a disk to be inserted and this resulted in a shutdown.

Finally. I assumed it was a hardware issue and I replaced the drive. The problem continues as before. The same fix attempts have failed.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

NEW CD/DVD Writer: LG # GH24NS95 (SATA)
OLD CD/DVD Writer: LG # GH22NP21 (IDE)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD/DVD Writer Causes PC Shutdown
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD/DVD Writer Causes PC Shutdown
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
TRUE! Can happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2013 5:14 AM PDT

XP, even with SP3 does not have native SATA support so this is a nightmare of drivers, issues and arcane information for most users.

Unless you have a geek guru friend I suggest you forget SATA and get another IDE drive.

And for the same bucks you usually can get some USB external DVDRW and get a bonus that you can use it on many other PCs.

Collapse -
CD/DVD Writer Causes PC Shutdown
by JohnWRB / August 6, 2013 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: TRUE! Can happen.

If the problem happens with both an IDE and SATA drive, it must be something other than a SATA related problem. How would going back to another IDE drive help?

I'm also looking to keep an internal drive rather than switch to external.

Collapse -
That was unclear from your post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2013 12:30 PM PDT

Then it means there is still an OS or driver issue. It could be hardware since many XP machines are past their expected life span. That alone can cause owners to explode in some fit of rage but when it comes to having a stable PC, you know it matters.

Again, SATA appears to be enabled and the driver issues alone should scare most support away. Disable SATA in the BIOS, remove the SATA drive and replace any optical drive older than 2 years for a test run.

Collapse -
DVD/RW shut downs
by pgc3 / August 7, 2013 12:42 AM PDT

Just out of curiosity, what shows up in Device Manager at the drive location, see errors???

Collapse -
DVD/RW shut downs - New!
by JohnWRB / August 7, 2013 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: DVD/RW shut downs

No errors..."This device is working properly".

Collapse -
by Willy / August 7, 2013 12:49 AM PDT

We still don't know your actual PC model#. It makes a difference knowing the details. Also, because I assume you're now using SATA, that it wasn't before??? If not, its the 1st time now using a SATA device, check the bios and see if any "legacy or IDE mode" for SATA is present, if so enable it. If you have an SATA HD, that could conflict because the servicing or polling of devices gets hammered as IDE devices still present lag the system and on top of all this is XP OS, not overall friendly to SATA as it wasn't native to it. Alas, you had a problem prior to all this, so I ask was SATA present then? What happens if you disconnect the IDE type CD/DVD drive?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
DVD/RW shut downs - New!
by JohnWRB / August 7, 2013 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Checkout

It's not a name brand PC. It has a Foxconn WinFast motherboard (NF4SK8AA-8EKRS / Socket 939) with an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+ GHZ CPU.

I've had a SATA HD for some time and it coexisted well with my previous IDE DVD Writer for years. Then about a month ago, the problems started. After a lot of attempts to solve things, I gave up, assumed it was a problem with the DVD drive. I replaced it with the new SATA DVD writer. The IDE writer is gone, but the issues continue.

Collapse -
Details from day-1
by Willy / August 8, 2013 1:29 AM PDT

Clear this up; "It's not a name brand PC" are you saying this is another mtrbd. than before? Did you do a fresh install of the OS from scratch with all the new parts? If you're trying w/o the new install, that maybe an issue as previous installs and/or drivers conflict. Having a socket 939 also tells me it's a dated mtrbd. which is no longer provided out there. if you're saying it worked before but now telling me it's a different PC, well it's not the same, is it. You're throwing a curve ball in there and if you didn't wipe the HD to do a fresh install as I stated it gets hosed, one way or another. I can't tell fully from your posts, which is why I asked about details.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Details from day-1 - New!
by JohnWRB / August 8, 2013 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Details from day-1

By 'not a name brand', I meant it is not a Dell, HP. etc. As I said in my first post, work was done on my Foxconn MB. It is the original and same one. I put in a NEW system HD so I had to do a fresh install of XP.

Collapse -
I can't see where you are doing the work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2013 4:11 AM PDT

This is a lot of posts and I can't tell if you are doing tests without the HDD and just a Live CD.

I have more ideas such as discussing how the PC boots, how CPU Microcode can be in the boot area, and of course BAD CAPS. Foxconn made millions of bad cap boards.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.