Computer Help forum

General discussion

CD/DVD drive will not play CD's

by fronob / October 11, 2010 1:52 AM PDT

My CD/dvd drive will not read cd's. It plays dvds just fine and burns dvd's ok too. but I cant figure out why it wont read a regular CD. Im running windows XP any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD/DVD drive will not play CD's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD/DVD drive will not play CD's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usually That Means The Drive Is Headed South
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 11, 2010 2:38 AM PDT

Most drives fail slowly instead of all at once.. Frequently, they start failing to read one type of disc or another.. In our case here, we find it easier and cheaper to simply purchase a new DVD drive and replace the old one..

Of course, if you happen to have a CD drive lens cleaner, then give it a whirl as occasionally it will help the drive recover for a while.. If you don't have one sitting around, I'm not sure it's worth the price of buying one just to see if it will help. (They're a little expensive.) Instead, as mentioned above, apply that money toward a new drive.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Still not working
by fronob / October 12, 2010 12:15 AM PDT

Thanks Grif for the advise. I have tried a lens cleaner and that didnt help. I put in a new dvd/cd drive and guess what the same thing it just wont read the cd's. Just wondering if there is a setting in XP or something I need to change.

Collapse -
As Bob Mentioned Above, If They're Formatted CD-RW Discs...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 12, 2010 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Still not working

... which allow you to copy and paste directly to the disc, then it's entirely possible you don't have the correct packet writing software on the computer which "reads" the formatted disc.. If that's the case, then you'll need to install the software that originally formatted the drive so the computer can "see" the formatting correctly.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Two things I do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2010 1:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
I forgot an item.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2010 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Two things I do.

You wrote "CDs" and not CDR or CDRW. This does matter as some recordings such as Nero INCD, Roxio's DirectCD and others require some software aids for these media to be read.

Collapse -
Still trying
by fronob / October 12, 2010 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: I forgot an item.

Ok I removed the dvd/cd drive from the computer and rebooted, now for some strange reason it is showing me in the device manager I have 2 dvd/cd drives which I dont I removed the one which isnt the real drive I have in the computer but the one real drive will still not read a cd. I rebooted and guess what that second dvd/cd drive showed up again in the device manager. Im kinda getting frustrated here. Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions. Any ideas on this mess?? Thanks Dave

Collapse -
So you have an UNREAL DRIVE?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2010 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Still trying

I didn't read if you were using one of those CD/DVD EMULATORS. Those can cause grief like we read above. Be sure to uninstall such things and repeat the removal of all CD/DVD drives in SAFE MODE.

This is very safe to do as Windows will redetect such drives automatically on the next normal boot.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.