Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CD and DVD drive does not show up in My Computer

by rvc73 / November 13, 2008 10:28 AM PST

I recently downloaded a number of Microsoft update, mostly security related and since I installed them when I go to My Computer these drives do not show up ie: "D" and "E", instead I see drives "F", "G", "H" and "I" which I do not have. What causes this and how do I go about correcting this? Thank you.

Dell XPS 700
Intel Core2 Duo processor
w/DualCore technology w/2MB cache
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD and DVD drive does not show up in My Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD and DVD drive does not show up in My Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by junkmail31415 / November 13, 2008 9:23 PM PST

I have two Dell laptops, my personal workstation and one from work. Tuesday, I downloaded patches, starting yesterday, no CD/DVD drives. I don't see any extra drive letters...

Collapse -
Try the old upperfilters fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2008 11:09 PM PST

Type XP UPPERFILTERS at as this sounds just like the old issue that we see daily.

Collapse -
No D or E drives showing
by rvc73 / November 14, 2008 1:40 AM PST

Thank you very much, I deleted those two entries and at least got my D and E drives back. However, I still don't know how to delete the F, G, H and I drives (which I don't even have)from My Computer.

Collapse -
Those can be some "card reader."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2008 2:45 AM PST

I have one that did that. But if you must hide those letters, look up XP TWEAKUI and it has a feature so they don't show.

Collapse -
Try refreshing
by GENE8 / November 14, 2008 3:45 PM PST

Try going into My Computer and refreshing the entire page. If that doesn't work, then try putting a disk in both your CD and DVD drives and let the autoplay detect them. When the autoplay detects them, then the drives should show up again in My Computer. If that doesn't work either, then you can try going into Device Manager and disabling both drives. After disabling them, reboot the computer so that the system can recognize the drives again. The proper drives should then show up in My Computer.

Collapse -
cd-rw drive no in My Computer
by moccoo / November 15, 2008 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: Try refreshing

I had this problem and tried this with no luck,In device mgr. it showed my drive was corrupted and neither deleting then reboot,update or rollback did not work.I had to delete my upper and lower filters in my registry.I then got back my drive only to read.I then installed my OS disk and rebooted from disk to reinstall everything.I.m glad I do a lot of backing up,so I lost very little seeing i couldn.t save any files to disk.MIKE

Collapse -
I Had The Same Problem and The Solution That I Found
by jegabele / November 15, 2008 5:54 AM PST

After doing a Google search, I found a free program called PC Fixer from Digital Support Technology. I checked to make sure that it was not malware and that it had positive recommendations and then downloaded it and ran it. It found and fixed the problem right away as well as showing some potential future problems.

Collapse -
cd and dvd drive does not show up
by cazza567 / November 16, 2008 5:02 AM PST

i had same problem,click on control panel,device manager,click on computer and right click brings up an option to scan for hardware changes,it should then bring up both drives,did it for me.regards and goodluck

Collapse -
cd and dvd drive does not show up
by rvc73 / November 16, 2008 5:30 AM PST

Thank you for the response, I have corrected the problem by using the suggestion above. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Worked for me!
by Spar97 / December 31, 2008 9:11 AM PST

I had no idea that this option existed. Tried exactly what you said and it worked like a charm. My drive hadn't shown up under the "My Computer" tab in ions. Thank you Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.