Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CCleaner - How do we restore the registry from the backup?

by hotjoeker / April 23, 2006 2:31 AM PDT

CCleaner was featured last April 18, 2006 on CNET's Download Dispatch Windows edition with a subject ''Mr. Sparkle'', and because of it I had downloaded the software and had my PC Cleaned. I had also read CNET's how to use CCleaner and even had followed it while I was cleaning my PC.

One problem though I had observed on that how to is that though it advise you to have the registry backed up so that just in case something goes wrong, you would be able to restore the registry back, it lacks the procedure on how to restore it. After cleaning my PC, noting happens though and I am glad my PC is still running fine with a cleaner environment. But let say if I find something wrong later, how will I able to restore the registry from the backup? Anybody here who knows how? It seems also that I did not find this option inside CCleaner.

Thank you very much.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CCleaner - How do we restore the registry from the backup?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CCleaner - How do we restore the registry from the backup?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How do we restore the registry from the backup
by SunderlandFan / April 23, 2006 2:59 AM PDT

Open your backup file and double click on the registration entry that you want to restore to. It will then ask if you wish to change the registry settings, click yes and it will change the settings back.

Collapse -
If you
by Themisive / April 23, 2006 4:01 AM PDT

Are interested in restoring the whole registry, click on Start/Run then tye "regedit" (without the quotes).

Now go to File/Import, select the location of the backup file, click on Open, this will re-write the WHOLE of the registry to your machine again.

Collapse -
Very Informative
by hotjoeker / April 23, 2006 1:41 PM PDT
In reply to: If you

Thanks a lot. Your post is very informative. I will use this in case I need to restore the whole registry.

Collapse -
How do we open the back up file?
by hotjoeker / April 23, 2006 1:37 PM PDT

Thanks. But how do we open the backup file? Would double clicking do? I am afraid to try it as it may restore the whole file into my registry. I had right click on the back up file though and on the ''open it with'' shortcut, I saw two programs, the registry editor and notepad. Would the registry editor do?

Collapse -
by tomron / April 23, 2006 11:25 AM PDT

When you run the cleaner>the boxes thst are checked will be remoed when you click fix.Remove the check mark from the ones you don't want fixed.

When you fix an entry a window will appear (save as) with an option to save a location of your choise.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by hotjoeker / April 23, 2006 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: CCLEANER

Hi Tom,

I did this when I was cleaning my PC, and I had backed up the registry succesfully. What I would like to find out is on how to restore it in case I made a mistake on the checking and unchecking portion of Ccleaner. Say if I had deleted what should not be. This is the first time I had used Ccleaner and I saw a hundred or more items and its time consuming to check on it one by one. So I removed all.

Collapse -
Reg backup
by tomron / April 23, 2006 2:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the reply

When you say "I had backed up the registry succesfully"

Do you mean from the registry or from ccleaner?

If you mean from ccleaner,go to the location where you saved the backup and click on it and it will export back where it belongs.

Collapse -
A simpler way?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 23, 2006 8:57 PM PDT

Hi Hotjoeker,

In addition to all the good advice given here, you could consider a simpler approach.

XP's System Restore is a registry backup utility. It also backs-up other files, eg system files, as well as settings. If you create a System Restore point before using CCleaner, then if you do have any problems, you could just restore to the point before you ran it.

This may be easier than opening a registry backup file and deciding which entries to remove, if any, before integrating it back into the Registry.

Collapse -
re: simple
by WOODS-HICK / April 24, 2006 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: A simpler way?

I agree,with Mark,SysRestore is a good option.

Nobody answered the question of an individual reg entry, out of a cc backup of many reg entries in the folder. When I go to mine, you can't explore the folder. I thought the only option was to merge entire backup for that instance, not pick and choose. Am I wrong?

Collapse -
I thought you were right too
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 24, 2006 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: re: simple

But as it is a .reg file, (I believe), you could open it with Notepad, (drag and drop), and see if it can be edited from there. I've never tried it so I don't know what format it would display in Notepad.

It would be unwise, in my view, to try and edit the backup .reg file though. The Registry is finicky enough although XP's is far more stable than any previous Windows version, but even so, anthing goes wrong and the system could become unusable.

Collapse -
I Know what you
by Themisive / April 24, 2006 4:50 AM PDT

Mean, as apart for the full registry backup. there is no way I know of restoring the registry, see the comments below, though see the mention of the programme below a point I agree with Mark - but think, if you have a viruse or spyware infesting your system, wouldn't it be a lot better to do a full backup of your registry?

In fact if things got that bad, why not try Ewido from, just run the scan and delete anything it finds.

I do not use CCleanrer, as I found it a load of C***, as I did load CCleaner onto my system, but found it was far too complex even though it was free.

However I DO use a different registry cleaner, it's far more flexible and you can restore individul keys from it, the programme - RegCleaner from, unfortunately though it's freeware - apparantly this is the last one to be written.

I looked around and decided on this, there are a few reasons for choosing this:

1 the download file is not too large,
2 the ease of use (very inportant,
3 and the very easy interface - extremely inportant.

Collapse -
re: I know
by WOODS-HICK / April 24, 2006 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: I Know what you

if you remove and backup a reg entry, it should merge easily. When I go to a folder with several reg entries, Windows recommends opening with reg editor. Notepad is on the list of others. I have been very conservative(paranoia?)with my removals using cc. I didn't have tens of potential leftover reg entries. So I deleted each backup containing one entry after safe waiting period. I will Google this question and check with cc.
I agree with you about the full registry backup, I use GoBack, SysRestore, or my trusty Erunt. See text link,top of page gives download site or Google it.

I have jv16 and I like it but I have not restored anything with it.
Any comments on RegSeeker?

So many cleaners, so little time.

Collapse -
reply from CC support
by WOODS-HICK / April 24, 2006 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: re: I know

I got an incredibly quick, concise reply from CC support. I wish all support was that responsive.

The recommendation is to backup each item separately. That will prevent any problems.

Collapse -
Microsoft site Advise doing the backup by subkeys
by hotjoeker / April 28, 2006 6:19 PM PDT

Hi Woods,

I had visited Microsoft lately and I had read that aside from backing up the whole registry I can backup by keys or subkeys ( - see under ''Export registry subkeys''). But I guess if you have hundreds of registries to backup (like mine) then it would be best to backup the whole registry rather than do it one by one.

Collapse -
re: MS
by WOODS-HICK / April 28, 2006 11:25 PM PDT

that's correct. You would be using start>run>regedit in windows not CC.
CC backups are text files you can open with notepad in the file you created.
If you restore the full registry you are back to before you ran CC. I would take my time and fix registry issues in CC individually per advice from CC support.

Collapse -
Thanks a lot to all who replied
by hotjoeker / April 28, 2006 6:29 PM PDT

Wow, I had not tracked this discussions and I thought no one would add to this post after the second day. Anyway thanks for all who had posted herein and I am tracking this already in-case someone would still add comments. I guess as of now I would be doing a complete backup and restore just in-case it would be needed.

Again, thank you very much to all. I am now pretty sure I could get help from this forum.

Regards to all

Collapse -
by tomron / April 28, 2006 10:08 PM PDT

Heres where i get lost.When you so restore registry backup.Do you mean,

1)The whole registry
2)A registry entry
3)What ccleaner backed up

Collapse -
ccleaner backup
by hotjoeker / April 29, 2006 7:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Registry

Hi Tom,

When you run ccleaner, there are three option to chose. First the cleaner, second is the issues and third is the tools, The second option (issues) edits the registry, you have to select ''scan for issues'' first, then check uncheck settings you like to be corrected and then click on ''fix selected issues'', then the ccleaner will ask you if you would like to backup the registry or not before he does the fixing. After a successfull backup of the registry it will then start editing the registry, removing those you want removed. I think it does a full backup of the registry. This is the backup that I mean. I would like to find out how I could restore this backup to the registry. Say if I make an error in the checking or unchecking section. It does not backup one keys at a time. And when you made a mistake it would therefore restore the whole registry (I presumed). Now this is what I had gathered from the post above. Someone however told us that you could restore one key at a time and so I asked again how do I open the backup to restore one key at a time, and he did not replied. Hope this clarifies everything.

Collapse -
re: cc backup
by WOODS-HICK / April 29, 2006 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: ccleaner backup

it does NOT backup the entire registry. Read my posts again. Go to CC support and ask your question. I did and they answered as I posted.

Sometimes you have to go to the source for the clearest water.

Collapse -
Yes but they would return it to previous state.
by hotjoeker / May 1, 2006 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: re: cc backup

Hi Woods,

Well yes it does not backup the whole registry but I guess it would return it to the previous state just before the cleaning was done.

But I don't trust it so much also and I believe the better way is to use regedit export command. This to backup the whole registry and not by sub-keys. And I plan to use this besides making a restore point first just in-case the backup wont work as suggested by one of the moderators of this site here (sorry I could not remember his name).

Collapse -
re: yes but
by WOODS-HICK / May 1, 2006 4:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks a lot
by hotjoeker / May 2, 2006 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: re: yes but

Hi Woods,

I think there is no problem with this anymore. I had read the link from windows which you had given and I had even added it to my favorites. Was just trying to explain to Tom, because he still had post a message here.

OK just to let you be informed here is my plan. Actually I just tried CC because my PC is slowing down. Had checked it with all malware software suggested by CNET and nothing would speed it up like it use to be and so I tried cc.

Well since I had successfully backed up my registry before I had cleaned it, my plan now is to restore it to its original state,(in-case I found something wrong later) and then clean it again with fewer checked marks. But before I do this I would create a restore point first so that if the backup wont work then I could restore it using this restoration point. Talking of backing up, I could use the backup procedure describe by Microsoft site and also the backup file created by cc. I will use which one would be successful in restoring the registry. Then repeat the process until all is clean. When done I hope that my PC would be running faster than it is now. As a matter of fact I had enrolled in the free class of Cnet that is still going on about how to make your PC run faster. Not sure about the title but its close to this one.

Anyways Thank you very much for your time and effort to help me with this one.

Collapse -
you're welcome
by WOODS-HICK / May 2, 2006 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks a lot

Good luck, take your time, get Erunt(previous post), backup,watch out for tsunamis, and send me a coconut.

Collapse -
Reg backup
by tomron / April 29, 2006 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: ccleaner backup

"ccleaner will ask you if you would like to backup the registry or not before he does the fixing".

If you click yes it will ask you where you want to save it.When ever i save something i always save it in my documents.In this case i would name it CCBACKUP or something to that affect.For me its easy to find,i just click on my documents on the desktop.Now in my documents where i saved the backup there will be an icon named CCBACKUP,clickon it and you wil see that you export it back to the registry.

NOTE:ccleaner does not backup the entire registry,only what you chose to fix.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) echo
by WOODS-HICK / April 29, 2006 11:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Reg backup
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.