Speakeasy

General discussion

CBS 48 Hours covering Adam Lanza right now

by grimgraphix / December 15, 2012 11:27 AM PST

CBS News reports Adam Lanza as a very bright, home schooled student.

He shot his mother in the face, apparently while she slept.

He had used his mother's guns to commit the crime.

She reportedly had often taken her son to gun ranges to practice shooting with her.

He used a Bushmaster Assault rifle to commit most of the murders, and had an assault shotgun as backup in his car. The assault shotgun was reported to be especially expensive.

His mother reported had these guns because "she did not like the direction the country was taking".

She was divorced and reportedly was receiving over 200 thousand dollars a year in child support. She was well supported and lead a privileged life. "She did not need to work" commented her ex-sister-in-law.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CBS 48 Hours covering Adam Lanza right now
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CBS 48 Hours covering Adam Lanza right now
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I didn't see this program, but in earlier coverage he was
by Ziks511 / December 15, 2012 8:57 PM PST

described as having some degree of Autism, and an additional personality disorder of some sort. Not a complete loner, but someone with poor social skills and a disinclination to form friendships.

Rob

Collapse -
I wish they would stop publicizing the names....
by Josh K / December 16, 2012 10:34 PM PST

......of people who do these things. Often they're looking for some kind of immortality and the media gives it to them. We need to understand what causes people like this to snap, but I think we can do it without giving them the glory they were seeking.

A few months ago my daughter asked me the name of the man who killed John Lennon. I replied, "I know you may not understand this and I suppose you can look it up if you want to, but I'm not going to tell you." I then did my best to explain why.

Collapse -
This is glory?
by James Denison / December 17, 2012 3:03 AM PST

While I can see how one wacko might want to follow, emulate, or attempt to outdo the first wacko, I don't think it's for glory. Maybe notoriety? I think most people would prefer to never be remembered for anything, than to be remembered for something like this, or doing a "copy cat". I think the only ones inspired by such action are those who are similar, and maybe that's actually a bonus when the news is on since a lot of those wackos are like a pack of dogs who hear one bark and they all start barking, making it easier if the police were diligent in finding them ahead of time. For instance, just such a situation happened since the Conn school shooting, over in Indiana. A man made a school threat and has been arrested, having 47 guns and $100,000 value including the ammunition for them. Perhaps the better approach is not restricting information, but better control by the press on how such information is disseminated.

Collapse -
(NT) In their twisted minds, it's glory, yes.
by Josh K / December 17, 2012 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: This is glory?
Collapse -
OK, I can accept that
by James Denison / December 17, 2012 5:03 AM PST

Wackos certainly look at things differently than the rest of us.

Collapse -
You know, the Lanza's had the perfect life.
by grimgraphix / December 17, 2012 8:39 AM PST

This young man came from a wealthy conservative family. He was home schooled when his parents felt the public school system wasn't enough. His mother was an "I don't like what's happening with this country", gun enthusiast who not only exercised her rights to own a gun, but went out and got herself several high-end assault weapons... and then taught her kids to use them.

These folks lived in the right neighborhood. Had the right income level. Raised their children the right way. Believed in the right politics. They lived their lives in the way every conservative out their wants everyone to live. I would not be surprised if I was told the mom was an NRA member.

So, how did having the "right" lifestyle work out for them?

Collapse -
How did it work out for all the others?
by James Denison / December 17, 2012 8:54 AM PST

Are you saying something about her lifestyle, which admittedly you know only the tiniest smidgen of, contributed to what happened?

Collapse -
did I say that? did I even come close to implying that?
by grimgraphix / December 17, 2012 9:19 AM PST

Nice try there. Go chum someplace else.

Wink

Collapse -
Then what are you trying to say?
by James Denison / December 17, 2012 9:46 AM PST

Any point to it, or just ramblings and musings?

Collapse -
(NT) Go to bed, James. You're obviously exhausted. (^_^)
by grimgraphix / December 17, 2012 10:36 AM PST
Collapse -
As I suspected
by James Denison / December 17, 2012 11:19 AM PST

Nothing but bait from you.

Collapse -
and nothing but trolling from you.
by grimgraphix / December 18, 2012 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: As I suspected

Do you really expect anyone to take you seriously?

I saw another one of your posts trying to say that a middle aged school board rejectee from 1927 was just like Adam Lanza.

Face it, you are desperate to try and ascribe some failing here... but you can't. Other than a divorce, this family was a perfect upper middle class white family. They were a poster family for living the right way (pun intended).

..... and then the son becomes a mass murderer of school kids.

Maybe the "right" was has a few problems after all.

Collapse -
What?!
by James Denison / December 18, 2012 3:06 AM PST

I never said the older man in 1927 was like Adam Lanza. His actions were similar in comparison. He killed someone at home. He killed children at a school he had a connection to. He killed himself. You are calling a divorced family "the perfect middle class family"? You are really starting to lose it, considering even his brother said that Adam had mental problems. Adam quit seeing his father. One half of the family is gone and yet YOU see that as "perfect". Nobody in their right mind would believe that, or you in the future if you continue to insist that's the truth.

Collapse -
yeah sure, whatever.
by grimgraphix / December 18, 2012 12:47 PM PST
In reply to: What?!

White, upper middle class, rich neighborhood suburb. Did not have to work. Had time to indulge in paranoid preparation for the coming class warfare that Rush and Sean constantly warn about. She had the time to take Adam to the gun range. She had the time to home school him. Did that leave any time to take him to regular mental health care appointments?

Face it James... this family had opportunities few other American families have. When republicans talk about their target constituency, they are talking about families like the Lanzas.

So, how did having the "right" lifestyle work out for them? Obviously not very well. Maybe if Adam had stayed in public school, the school psychologist would have pushed Adam into the appropriate care. Maybe if Mrs. Lanza hadn't decided to collect the civilian version of an m-16... maybe not so many kids would be dead.

The conservative platform advocates for many of the exact things that the Lanzas practiced. Republicans say that home schooling and guns make for better citizens. Well? Adam was home schooled and Mrs Lanza put a soldier's rifle in her son's hand. How did that work out for her?

I have yet to see anyone report on this.... did the Lanzas have a gun safe?

Collapse -
You, Josh, and others
by James Denison / December 18, 2012 1:49 PM PST
In reply to: yeah sure, whatever.

are trying to make broad sweeping generalizations based on racial, economic, and other factors as if that's the overriding factor here instead of the "wacko" factor. Ya'll did the same thing when Loughner shot Giffords, till it was discovered he wasn't some "right wing wacko" as you'd supposed, and wasn't even for her competition, but had been part of her campaign and so forth. All of you completely derailed on that one and seemingly never learn as you are doing it again on this incident.

Collapse -
you are blowing smoke.
by grimgraphix / December 18, 2012 3:14 PM PST
In reply to: You, Josh, and others

Point out a single post where I suggested such things about the Gifford incident.

BTW.... I notice you have finally dropped the disingenuous BS. Welcome to the grownups table.

Collapse -
I said no such thing, James
by Josh K / December 19, 2012 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: You, Josh, and others

You don't do anyone any good when you start making stuff up out of thin air.

Collapse -
I remember when I caught my kids messing with my rifles,
by Diana Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: yeah sure, whatever.

I threw all the ammo away. They were on single digits in age.

The older kids before that were shown how distructive guns could be by shooting through a stack of phone books.

Diana

Collapse -
You know their politics?
by Steven Haninger / December 17, 2012 5:56 PM PST

and it really matters or played some role here? Two of them are dead by violent means. To me, who they may have supported politically has no bearing here. It's tragic and sad. We don't need to look for any reason to be critical of them.

Collapse -
I'd like to hear about
by James Denison / December 17, 2012 9:44 PM PST

the "perfect life" and how he defines it. Obviously money in his mind makes a life perfect.

Collapse -
RE: Obviously money in his mind makes a life perfect.
by JP Bill / December 17, 2012 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: I'd like to hear about

How's the market doing today, James?

Collapse -
Fine it seems
by James Denison / December 18, 2012 3:08 AM PST

get lost from some other thread on that subject?

Collapse -
The mother was a "prepper"
by James Denison / December 18, 2012 3:09 AM PST

I wonder if some of her "end of the world" scenarios made an impression on her son?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.