TVs & Home Theaters forum

Cause of flicker in 3D TV?

by spran54 / June 16, 2011 3:33 PM PDT

A weak before I watched a movie in my cousins 3d tv at his home.

The whole experience was really good enough, but I've noticed a kind flicker there while watching the movie.

My best guess is, that's because of picture quality, but my bro told me that he got the original print of the movie?....flickering is not because of movie, he said it's because of some technology disturbance. But don't know the exact reason?...

My concern is if someone knows about it then let us know, why flicker was there in his 3d tv?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cause of flicker in 3D TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cause of flicker in 3D TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Need more info
by givemeaname / June 17, 2011 4:52 AM PDT

Could have been a setting on the tv/blu ray player like 24fps or 48fps will make flicker.
What tv does he have? Brand and model number, not all 3d tv's use shutter glasses.

Collapse -
Don't have tha model no.
by 8mark5 / June 19, 2011 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Need more info

He is having the Sony 3D TV and i don't have the model no of his tv.....again i say that over all experience was good, but the flicker really irritates a lot.

All Answers

Collapse -
Cause of flicker in 3D TV?
by aisha_khullar / June 16, 2011 7:26 PM PDT

It's because of 3d tech only....SG 3d tech have this drawback only.
working principal of SG tech is the only reason behind this, as the shutter open and close accordingly that's why flicker arrise....!!

Collapse -
reason for flicker....
by 1shahid_kapoor / June 16, 2011 11:14 PM PDT

No it's not because of picture quality.....flicker arise because of sg 3d glasses as its lenses keep on open and close with time difference.
that's why flicker occurs.

Collapse -
got your point...
by spran54 / June 19, 2011 8:38 PM PDT
In reply to: reason for flicker....

you mean my cousin is having the SG 3d glasses that's why flickering was there....

Collapse -
may be.
by 1shahid_kapoor / June 19, 2011 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: got your point...

I am not sure but yeah may be because maximum no of times flicker occurs in SG 3D TVs that's why i guess.

Collapse -
flickering is caused by...
by waggiy / June 20, 2011 10:24 AM PDT

Active 3D models such as Samsung, Sony, Panasonic require the use of shutter glasses which use battery-powered 3D glasses. Images are sent to both eyes, one at a time very very quickly. As your battery runs out, this speed is slowed down to the point you will notice the flashing.

You should be more careful in preparation for a movie. Flickering can cause severe headaches and trust me, when you get one during a movie, you will quit watching.

If you're interested in a TV that doesn't flicker, get a passive 3D type model like LG. They use cinema 3D glasses which are equivalent to the 3D glasses used in theaters. Aside from the ambiance created in the cinemas, you will experience a similar, headache-free 3D session.

Collapse -
by spran54 / June 20, 2011 8:23 PM PDT

So that means LG cinema 3d glasses doesn't follow the shutter operations like SG do?
Is really Samsung, Sony, Panasonic all brands are using the same 3d tech in its 3D TVs?
If you share your knowledge, i would be thanks full..!

Collapse -
Yes but
by givemeaname / June 21, 2011 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay..!!

Glasses from a Sony will not work on a Sammy or Panny & that goes for all of them, so if you have a Panny in the living room & a Sony in the bedroom you need a Sony set and a Panny set.
Now the manufactures may change to universal shutter glasses but the question are they going to be backwords comparable? And also when if they do release them, next year??
The glasses are going to be the down fall of 3D, again, no one wants them, even the none shutter glasses mess with the contrast & colors. Then there are thous of us that where glasses in the first place.

Collapse -
Cause of flicker in 3D TV
by rajhansvandana / June 22, 2011 2:32 PM PDT

Well, as far as I believe its just because of the technology being used by the concerned manufacturer of the 3D TV being used by you...

Collapse -
fpr technology.
by spran54 / June 23, 2011 8:10 PM PDT

Could you tell me what all brands are using the fpr 3d technology?

Collapse -
fpr 3d tv...
by Qaium098 / June 23, 2011 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: fpr technology.

As per my knowledge only LG is using the FPR 3d technology.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.