iPhones, iPods, & iPads

Question

Cases new iPad

by rspeser / November 3, 2012 1:35 AM PDT

According to the literature, the iPad 2 and new iPad use the same case. I have an expensive Piel Frama, which fits the new iPad perfectly, but the magnet that is supposed to turn the device on and off, doesn't. Any suggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cases new iPad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cases new iPad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Found the answer
by rspeser / November 3, 2012 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Cases new iPad

Apple changed the polarity of the magnet in the new iPad. While an older iPad 2 case fits perfectly, the magnets in the case do not have the correct polarity. Oh we'll, I had to spring for another $140.00 case.

Collapse -
Isn't that easy to fix?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Found the answer

Swapping poles on a magnet is something your basic Physic's student should be able to do. My kid did it over the years by playing with magnets. There's a North and South pole so all I'd need is to pull it out, flip over and pop it back in. And in a pinch I could drill a hole in the old case and glue in a new magnet.

Have basic skills like this become something folk think are advanced science?
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Always ask the maker of such things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 1:39 AM PDT

I'm sure you can google where the on/off magnet moved to and then test for that.
Bob

Collapse -
agreed
by JanelleLove / November 5, 2012 7:06 AM PST

Yep, a simple search will give you some general results for help. I wouldn't spend $140 for a case though, a bit ridiculous.

Collapse -
The last magnet I used was a re-use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 7:25 AM PST
In reply to: agreed

I had an old headphone set and not everyone knows it but in many there is a very useful small magnet. I re-used that and after some research found you could use that instead. Pretty basic testing and then drill a hole in the old cover to it's new location. A little epoxy and viola. Done.

However I find most of today's users are horrified to read or try such things. If they can't buy it, it's not something they can get to work.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
iPad case
by ellen908 / November 22, 2012 11:06 AM PST

I know one case which is fairly new item in the market. very durable and lightweight

Collapse -
You can....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 22, 2012 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: iPad case

....post the name of such a product, just don't post an internet link for it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.