PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Case Front Panel Wiring

by haloviper / March 17, 2008 11:48 AM PDT

I scavange for computer parts and build computers for charities and families that can't afford to buy a computer. Alot of the used cases that I get are missing the front panel switch and LED wiring. I've used my last bunch of wires and am now down to soldering wires from the front panels directly to the JFP pins. Does anyone know where I can buy the wires or at least the plugs?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Case Front Panel Wiring
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Case Front Panel Wiring
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See the case manufactures web site
by Dango517 / March 17, 2008 3:33 PM PDT

for replacement parts. Some old cases are obsolete and parts are not available from the manufacturer, in this situation you will need to scavenge some more or keep soldering. In some cases, if they fit, you can buy new abilities to replace the old for about $10.00 (US) on line or at local parts suppliers. Just type the part number into the search box and see what happens, some times you get a hit, sometimes not.

Collapse -
by Dango517 / March 19, 2008 10:59 AM PDT

that's "new assemblies" not abilities.

Collapse -
I hate to drop her name but
by Steven Haninger / March 19, 2008 3:32 AM PDT

one of the MODs here by the name of Toni Hackler did..or maybe still does..what you are doing. This was a while ago but she put out requests for folks to send her their junk, as I recall. Perhaps she can give you advise. You'll find her in the MOD listing.

MS H...if you read this...my apologies in advance. Happy

Collapse -
radio shack will have the wire,connectors and crimping tool
by ramarc / March 19, 2008 4:13 AM PDT

you should also check any local pc repair centers. they usually have lots of hulks that they may let you scavenge from, especially since you're doing charitable work.

lastly, always take a look at geeks.com for hard-to-find parts at cheap prices.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions


Free trip to the Grand Prix

Don't miss your chance to win a trip to the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Monaco for you and a plus-one.