Computer Newbies

General discussion

Card Reader Help

by allwcl.2000 / April 4, 2008 5:15 AM PDT

I have a card reader that came with my Compaq Desktop running XP Media Center Edition 2005. I used to be able to insert my SD memory card into the Reader and then a small window appears giving you options on what you want to do. Now when I do this no window appears. I have to now go to "My Computer" and click on the SD "drive" to continue. Small inconvenience but how do I get back to the orignal setup.

I think the kids downloaded some games and this started happening.

Thanks for any help.

Al

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Card Reader Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Card Reader Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try This
by Darton Fury / April 4, 2008 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Card Reader Help

Click Start, My Computer, right click the letter of the card reader and select Properties. Click Auto Play tab and select Prompt Me Each Time to Choose an Action.

Collapse -
Looks Easy But....
by allwcl.2000 / April 4, 2008 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Try This

Thanks for the reply. Tried it...clicked "apply", then "ok", but still no window appears. I also tried clicking "restore defaults", restarted the computer but still the same. That Auto Play is what I wanted it to do. Gotta be something simple I'm missing.

Al

Collapse -
Check This Service
by Darton Fury / April 4, 2008 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks Easy But....

Enter services.msc in the Run dialog box. Look for Shell Hardware Detection. Make sure this service is set to Started/Automatic.

Collapse -
No Go
by allwcl.2000 / April 4, 2008 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Check This Service

Checked and it's on "automatic", still not back to the way it was but can use this way. zzzzzzz I'm going to sleep ... nite.

Collapse -
Simple Fix
by allwcl.2000 / April 11, 2008 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: No Go

Just to let you all know the fix was to download from Microsoft the "Autoplay Repair Wizard", that did the trick.

Thanks

Collapse -
Sd reader
by mantoe / May 20, 2013 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Simple Fix

I know this is an old thread but sd card reader is not working and i tried the autoplay repair wizard and I got this message...
AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2013-05-21 07:59:04]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 3) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [E:\, Drive Type: 2]:
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\...\Services\!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
HKLM\...\Services\\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [E:\, Drive Type: 2]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: OK
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Silent)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

Not sure what all this means but hope it can be fixed. The reader was working before I did a windows XP reinstall and I don't have any issues in the device manager.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.