Cameras forum

General discussion

Card not initialized problem!

by thinksmart / October 27, 2004 11:54 AM PDT

Hi,

I am wondering if someone can help me here. I have a Fujifilm fine pix 2600 digital camera. I can't take pictures, download pictures etc..I get an error "!CARD NOT INITIALIZED" What does this mean? Is my camera broken? or is it the card? Is there any way to fix this? I would appreciate if someone can help me here.

Thanks
Rachel

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Card not initialized problem!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Card not initialized problem!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Card not initialized problem!
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 28, 2004 12:57 AM PDT

The message is trying to tell you that you need to format the card. The owners manual will have "how to format" information for your camera.

If you cannot format the card it could be the card or the camera. The only way to know for sure is to use another card.

Any card should be formatted in the camera before trying to use it for photos.
If the card comes already formatted, it should still be formatted in the camera before trying to use it for photos.

Collapse -
by thinksmart / October 28, 2004 1:08 AM PDT

Thanks for your help!

This is not a new card. I have taken pictures already with this camera and card. It just happened all of a sudden. Do you still think I will need to re-format the card?

Rachel

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 28, 2004 8:03 AM PDT

Unexplainable things happen sometimes.

If you have photos on the card that you want to recover, take the card to your local WalMart photo department and ask them to see if they can copy them to a CD. Another person on this forum did this and their photo department service was able to copy the files. I believe the charge was about $5

After that, format the card.

Collapse -
by thinksmart / November 3, 2004 9:12 AM PST

Thanks for your all your help snapshot2, but I am not trying to be dumb here but I have no clue how to format this camera. I got this camera from my friend as is.

Thanks Rachel

Collapse -
by Bobino / November 5, 2004 2:10 PM PST

I have the same camera. To format the card, turn the top dial to the center position (to view pictures). Turn the camera on. Press the menu/OK botton.

It bring up a choice of:
Erase
Format
All Frames
Frame

Use the toggle (that zooms in and out when taking pictures) to select Format, then press the menu/OK button.

Enjoy!

Bobino

Collapse -
thanks for your help!
by minniecooper / February 4, 2006 10:49 PM PST

i'm going to baja tomorrow; today i'm packing. i'm giving my fujifilm finepix 2600 to my friend who lives there. i turned on the camera this morning and got the message "card not initialized!" YIKES! i never saw that before. thank goodness for google and this forum; now i can give the camera to ray and it'll work!

thanks again.

Collapse -
Card Not initialized! Fujifilm S3500!!
by aneirin / October 6, 2006 7:22 PM PDT

i got the message card not initialized. i tried turning it on then going to format, but all it says is

ERASE

All Frames
Frame
Back

there is no format option :S everytime i put the card into my card reader it detects the card reader but not the card, i click on removable disk G: but it says insert a disk into G:

HELP
hope someone can help me!
Thanks
Aneirin

Collapse -
Card Not initialized! Fujifilm S3500!!
by annabellefitz / October 14, 2006 11:30 PM PDT

Use the right arrow to get the "options" menu, use the up arrow (zoom in button) to select "set-up", press "menu/ok". Use the down arrow to select "format" on the menu, then (making sure you have selected "OK" on the options available on that screen) click "menu/ok".

Collapse -
thank u so much annabellefitz
by funny893 / July 19, 2008 9:22 AM PDT

just let u all know that what annabellefitz said to do also works on Finepix A340 camera

Collapse -
Thanks alot
by rays#1 / September 12, 2008 8:48 AM PDT

I had the same problem and it worked instantly , thank you Jy

Collapse -
card not initialized
by mtnbyker76 / August 9, 2010 10:31 AM PDT

thank you it worked! Seems to be a common occurancce with Fuji cameras.

Collapse -
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
by rosevillechica / November 5, 2006 1:11 AM PST

I am ready to go on a family trip and my camera also read "card not initialized". I thought I was going to have to buy a new camera. I thought before I spend money I don't have, I would Google my problem and see if I could find any help. Praise the Lord a link came up with your technical assistance. It took me seconds to fix the problem! Thank you again for your kindness!

Instead of explaining why my card was not intializing, you gave me the solution as to how to correct the problem. Thanks again.

Collapse -
FinePix Camara
by pepv / February 4, 2007 4:56 AM PST

Thank you so much for the information. I've had this camara for 4 years and thought that I broke it. I have been very happy with the pictures from it that I was really dreading having to go find a new one. Thanks again.

Collapse -
"! CARD NOT INITIALIZED"
by Spiceskull / November 15, 2007 1:53 AM PST

Just wanted to say that my wife has the same problem with her camera, and Bobino's post about formatting fixed the problem...thanks a million!

Collapse -
WOW, it worked!
by kelleidoscope / May 6, 2008 12:52 AM PDT

I really appreciate that people take the time to help on here. I had my camera with the same problem. It wasn't the same camera but I found the format function and it WORKS now! Yeah, now the only problem with it is that even new batteries say they are low and it always turns off on me. Not to mention that in order to put the pictures on my computer I have to go into my computer find the camera open its folder then cut them from the camera and paste them to my pictures. Now, if only I could fix that!

Collapse -
Thank You!
by Chloe5759 / December 13, 2008 9:08 PM PST
In reply to: WOW, it worked!

This fix also worked for me! Thank you so much!!

Collapse -
Fujifilm
by tjeebrown / May 7, 2008 5:14 PM PDT

Thanks Bobino, got it working because of YOU!!!!

Collapse -
'Card not initialzed' error on FinePix A600
by shprashant / November 20, 2008 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: Fujifilm

I have an Fujifilm FinePixA600. All of sudden when i had removed the card and replaced it back along with charged batteries, I got a message Card Not Initialised. Just copied the files from the card through the card reader on to my computer and then 'Format' the card using the camera format instruction and it worked .. Thanks a lot to everyone who's put this method on the web .. cheers !!! Prashant

Collapse -
Thanks Bobino
by awkspc / December 4, 2010 6:29 AM PST

Thanks Bobino, Formatting it worked a treat.
Good forum.

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 6, 2004 12:03 AM PST
Collapse -
card not initialized.. PROBLEM SOLVED fujifilm finepix 2650
by Ian Campomanes / January 7, 2006 7:33 PM PST

thank you very much, bobitto answered the question,
i happen to have the same problem also with my fujifilm finepix 2650..

thank you dude, your a great help

Collapse -
Thanks!
by presschick1 / September 27, 2006 1:50 PM PDT

You guys are amazing. I just had this same exact problem with my camera after turning it off prematurely after loading photos onto a mac. It totally worked! Thanks so much!

Collapse -
card not initialized
by nady911 / April 11, 2008 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

so i put the card into my computer and i formatted it, then i put it back in my camera and it still says : "card not initialized"
can someone please help?

Collapse -
(NT) Format it in the camera?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2008 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: card not initialized
Collapse -
helpp?
by ouchhhh / March 2, 2008 6:43 AM PST

i have a fujifilm A700 but it has the same problem of "card not initalized"

how can i format it?
i tried formatting it by clicking format, but i don't want to erase all my pictures!!
please help ASAP!!

i have project due tomorrow guys!
ahhh!

Collapse -
Be sure to go to the store...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2008 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: helpp?

Use their machine to put the pictures on CD now.

Collapse -
Same problem!
by linzmill21 / July 6, 2008 10:06 AM PDT

i have this same problem one day i put my card in to download my pictures and it wasnt working i put my card back in my camera and it said card not initialized. i put it back in my computer and a format box came up so i formatted it and now when i put it in my camera it says no card. and resorts to my internal memory.

Collapse -
try
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / July 6, 2008 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem!

having the camera format it again.

Collapse -
Sounds like
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 6, 2008 11:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem!

It sounds like you formatted the card with your computer.
That is a no no.

You need to format the card with the format command in your camera.

You may be able to recover the card:

Put the card in your computer card reader and delete every file and folder you find on the card.

Put the card back in your camera and get out your Camera User Manual.
Look in the index for the word "format".
Read how to use the camera format command.
Format the card using the camera's format command.
Then there is a good chance that the card will work properly in your camera.

Collapse -
"Card not initialized" problem solved THANKS
by explorers1981 / September 25, 2008 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds like

thank you very much you rescued me. i had three 2GB SD cards formated on my Laptop and thought it was their end when i read the"card not initialized" message on my cam Fuji finepix but i tried formating it again on the camera like you said and it worked. thank you very much.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.