Cameras forum

General discussion

Card not initialized!!!!!!

by emmab18 / March 20, 2007 4:05 AM PDT

Ive read some other posts from people with this problem but the thing is my card has nearly a hundred photos I desperately want to save and my local shop say their computers say the card is coming up as empty. This message has come up before but the shop were able to remove the photos before then formatting the card. Is there any way of saving my photos.....?? Pleeeease help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Card not initialized!!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Card not initialized!!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XD card problems too!
by meshelie / March 20, 2007 6:08 AM PDT

I've been having the same problems with my xd cards with my new Fuji E-900 camera. Once it happened with a few test pix on it so I simply reformatted it. I returned the card back to the store after erasing those pix & thought the card was defective. Now I have a new xd card that is saying the same problem "card not initialized" and I have a bunch of pix on it. Does this happen to anyone using the M Type xd cards? I only have the newer H Type xd cards and was wondering if that was the problem? How can I retrieve these photos off of my card before reformatting it? There's no pattern in this card problem and sometimes reads in my computer or camera with no problem but then a few days later if I try to open the card I will get the error. The only way that I have been able to make sure I don't lose my photos is to immediately transfer the photos from my camera plugged into the computer via USB cord and backup all photos onto my backup harddrive. I forgot to do this for this other card though and need to retrieve my pix. Please help anyone! All my cards are 1 GB H Type xd cards.

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 20, 2007 7:18 AM PDT

A new memory card should ALWAYS be formatted/initialized using the camera before taking any pictures.
Read the camera User Manual to find out how to format the card.

If you don't do that, it is likely to bite you later.

When/If it does bite you, you can first take the card to your local photo processing place and see if they can save the photos for you.
They may charge you a few dollars.

If that doesn't work, you need a data recovery software program and a card reader for your computer.

There are latterly hundreds of these data recovery programs.
Some are free and some are not.

Here is a Google search link:

I don't have a favorite or preference, pick one that sounds good to you.

Card readers can be found at any store that sells digital cameras.
Price is about $20 to $30.

Collapse -
XD card Initializing error
by meshelie / March 23, 2007 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Initialize/Format

Thanks "snapshot2" for the tips. I have a multi card reader in my computer but that didn't seem to work either with retrieving the photos. I honestly didn't even think to format the card when I got it cause my old Sony 5 mp camera never needed to format the memory sticks and I never had this problem with that one. I will try that software you mentioned, thanks!

Can anyone recommend any good digital cameras for fast action and low lighting?? My Fuji E-900 9 megapixel is pretty good but doesn't give as much lighting or snapshot speed especially taking photos at a concert. The video feature is excellent on it though, just have a large memory card. I'm looking for another backup camera that might be able to do that maybe around the 10 megapixel range. Thanks!

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 23, 2007 8:18 AM PDT

Low light photography is best done with a DSLR (digital single lens reflex) camera. Such a camera with a bright zoom lens will cost at least $1,200.

Non-DSLR cameras do not do well in low light and concerts,
because their smaller CCD sensors generate more noise.

The Fujifilm F30 and F31fd have the best low light performance of all non-DSLR cameras. And even that will only be two f-stops better than your E900. So I don't have a reommendation.....other than a DSLR camera.

Collapse -
XD card Initializing error
by asoomai / April 25, 2007 5:23 AM PDT

I very recently experienced that same problem with my fuji S3100 and an olympus 1GB xD card with approxi 250 high res pics. I connected the camers to my pc via usb and had to pull the pics off 2 at a time. Try that and see if it works.

Collapse -
help me!!!!
by hguthrie / September 3, 2008 9:35 PM PDT

i have just come back from australia and i have over 200 photos i had not had chance to download i could look at them on my camara and then i put the xd card into the computer to download the pictures so i could show my family and it came up very slowly so i took the card out as i normally do ( which i have never had a problem with before) i had to leave for work so i didnt have enough time so i tried again today and it is now sayin the card is not initialized so i have no pictures and im devistated
so has anyone got any ideas?
be very greatful thanku

Collapse -
Recovery Software
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 4, 2008 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: help me!!!!

If you are unable to read the card with the computer card reader using "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer";

Then you need some "photo recovery" software.
There are hundreds of such programs on the Internet.
Go a Google search for:

photo recovery software

Here are some recovery programs that were recommended by another of our Moderators:

Search for them with

After you have recovered your photos and have them safely on your computer.
I suggest you immediately write a copy of them to a CD or DVD blank.

Then if you want to be able to use that memory card again in your camera:
Using the card reader and computer; delete all files and folders from the memory card.
Then insert the card in your camera and "format" the memory card with your camera.
Your camera has a "format" command in the menu.

"Always format a NEW card with your camera before you capture any photos on the card."

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.