Speakeasy forum

Car rental awareness..be alert on returns

by Willy / July 2, 2012 11:51 PM PDT

It seems car rental cos. have found a new way or really hitting hard to "upkeep/repairs" of rentals. Its not that it wasn't present before, but more than ever car rentals are becoming very costly. the simple dings or even minor damage that one can expect sooner or later to car ownership is coming a "cash cow" of revenue to the rental cos..
I'm sure many are aware of returning a rental with a full tank of gas, but if you don't "blam, a fee". It may need only $20 of gas or so, but there can be a $50 fee to refill billed to you, then or later. A minor ding, can cost well over $100. On top of that if you're NOT checking the rental before you leave the lot, you're stuck with any prior damage. Here, you can contest that, but often enough someone pays, you or your company, etc.. Further, if the rental has some "monitoring device" that too can place a fee for speeding or outside determine range of rental area if not covered by agreement. It's not that some fees occurred aren't legitimate by rental cos.. are using the rental agreement clauses to try to get more funds out of you.

Heaven forbid, you get into an accident. Did you understand the full contract agreement? So, be careful renters. adios -----Willy Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Car rental awareness..be alert on returns
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Car rental awareness..be alert on returns
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I got burned once
by Steven Haninger / July 3, 2012 12:22 AM PDT

I had an Alamo rental vehicle in Fort Myers Florida and crossed a toll bridge. A toll taker took my money, and gave me a receipt. As I drove away, I saw a flash behind me. Weeks later I got a bill for the toll and a mystery charge appeared on my credit card. After several phone calls, it appeared that the lady in the toll booth forgot to reset or disable a camera that takes pictures of cars who blow on through the booth. I was caught. Whoever owns the camera system traced the license to Alamo who gave them my contact information. Alamo assessed me 15 bucks for that service. Because I had the toll receipt, it was easy to beat that charge and fine. It was the toll taker's fault but Alamo would not dismiss the charges. Watch out for that one too.

Collapse -
Wreak the car, have to pay for every day it's out of service
by Roger NC / July 3, 2012 8:22 AM PDT

called loss of use fee. Can be assessed even on small damages for the time from you returning the car until the garage/body shop returns the car.

I doubt they hurry the garage very much.

Collapse -
Take a yellow crayon marker, and circle each and every ding
by Ziks511 / July 3, 2012 7:39 PM PDT

and scrape. They wash the cars after every use which will remove the crayon, but they'll be able to see that there are no fresh marks when you return the car. They'll also have to mark it all down on their sheet because they know that you know what is there.

Then again, I bet I forget to do that the next time I rent a car. Do you have Zip Cars and the like in the US. Rental cars left in strategic places which you can order by telephone and then pick up and use for 4 hours or more. My wife uses them all the time. Me, I can't afford them.

Collapse -
I take my camera

and take pictures of all sides. It puts a date stamp on the picture and the picture file.

Collapse -
by Willy / July 3, 2012 11:26 PM PDT
In reply to: I take my camera

I never had to be so "pro-active" to protect myself. Of course, I took care of the rental from myself and drive careful. EXCEPT for one time in Abilene, TX that i wiped out in a flash flood puddle driving 55mph and spun like a top(no damage) and landed in a yard. adios -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Huh? Wife but not you
by Willy / July 3, 2012 11:21 PM PDT

My wife uses them all the time. Me, I can't afford them.

You got me think on that one. I rent whatever seems to fit availability. I "used" to rent or the co. rented from places that simply weren't covered by the big rentals. I use a vehicle at 3-4yrs. older that expected but usually a big car. I've used, "rent a wreck" in Florida(many moons ago) during spring break as i figured it maybe best to do so. adios ----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.