Cameras forum

Question

Capture a frame from AVI video and convert it to a picture>

by Paul C / July 28, 2011 8:19 AM PDT

Can this be done? If so, how? We set our camera's setting to video and wound up taking a number of short video clips...of our granddaughter's birth. We wanted still shots. We of course can't request a do over. Sad

TIA,

Paul

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Capture a frame from AVI video and convert it to a picture>
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Capture a frame from AVI video and convert it to a picture>
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
re: Capture a frame from AVI video and convert it to a pic
by MarkatNite / July 28, 2011 11:39 AM PDT

Hey Paul,

The most generic approach I can think of is a frame grab via VLC media player. If that won't work for you, it may help to provide a few more specs--camera type, video file type, computer OS, etc.

Nice to "see" you again - Mark

Collapse -
Answer
How to capture a movie frame
by gabbyknot / July 29, 2011 1:07 PM PDT

Paul,
You can use Windows Movie Maker, if you don't already have it, you can download it free from Microsoft. Just import your AVI movie into Windows Movie Maker, play the movie and pause it where you want the desired frame and on the lower right side of the player there is a camera icon, click on that and the frame will be captured and saved into your Picture Folder as a JPG and will be put in WMM also. You can then close out WMM with out saving it.
Hope this helps you out.
Carole

Collapse -
Blur
by Hodgelett / July 29, 2011 7:19 PM PDT

It's worth using your arrow keys to move backwards and forwards by single frames to find a non-blurry shot.
I'd second VLC so you're not bothering with video editing software (unless you want to edit them later). QuickTime also can grab photos from frames.

Collapse -
Answer
Irfanview is free.
by dolbyg / July 30, 2011 1:25 AM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I tested my answer first.
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"><span id="INSERTION_MARKER">The oldest, best free little image workhorse is Irfanview, downloaded from WWW.IRFANVIEW.COM. Its menu has "Extract all frames..." under "Options", which does what you want to do.

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"><span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Be aware that you need to download and install two files: IVIEW430_SETUP.EXE and IRFANVIEW_PLUGINS_430_SETUP.EXE. "430" is the current version, but I am using version 4.25 right now. It would be wise to re-boot after installation.
Open any type of video in Irfanview and select "Extract all frames..." under the "Options". Select what and where in its dialog box and do it.<span><span> You should store them in a separate, temporary folder. Now, open each frame in that separate, temporary folder (step through them using the cyan right arrow button) and select which frame(s) to keep. Obviously, delete all others and move the keeper(s).
Irfan would appreciate me telling you that he included a "Support Irfanview" button on the website.
Gareth

Collapse -
Answer
Best simple, free way to convert video image to a picture..
by verysharp / July 30, 2011 4:14 PM PDT

This can only be done if you have Windows7, because the "Snipping Tool" as far as I know only comes with Win7. Don't remember if Vista had it but it's likely it does.

1. Activate the Snipping Tool by typing S-n-i-p in your Search Programs and Files box. Win Explorer should find the program and create an icon. Save the icon either to your desktop.

2. Play the video clip and pause it when you get to the scene that you want to convert to a picture.

3. Open the Snipping Tool and highlight the area you want to convert and save, Your picture will be everything INSIDE the box you create with the tool.

4. The tool saves this as a screen "Capture" so the word Capture will show up when you are prompted to save the now picture. as a .jpg or other picture file type--you can even choose what file type works best for you.

I can't say enough kudos for MS including this free in its OS. This tool even gets around the restrictions when you are online and you try to save a picture or image and the site says "Sorry, Right-Clicking to save is not allowed". The Snipping Tool will still copy and save any image. Activate it and ENJOY the freedom and options it gives you. Laugh

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.