Windows 7

General discussion

Cant turn on Windows Security Center

by nuentes / July 31, 2009 10:28 AM PDT

I got a virus (winupgro.exe). Afterwards, that program showed up in my task manager, but I was unable to end the process. I also got a notification that I would need to restart my computer in order to turn off UAC. Since I did not want to turn off UAC, I went back in, and turned the UAC back on. I then ran a virus scan with Norton. It didnt seem to find my virus, so I just shut down the computer.

Winupgro.exe no longer shows up in task manager, but I cannot turn on Windows Security Center - getting the dialog box "The Windows Security Center service can't be started"

Malwarebytes was able to find and remove it, but I still cannot open windows security center (after a restart).

I used FreeCommander to run create md5 checksums. After searching the output file, I did not find any references to winupgro or its checksum string.

Anybody able to help???

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cant turn on Windows Security Center
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cant turn on Windows Security Center
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at SERVICES
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 10:35 AM PDT

Are you seeing a message like "Security Center is currently unavailable because the "Security Center" was not started or was stopped. security Center is currently unavailable because the "Security Center" was not started or was stopped."

Yes, you are. Find 7's Services control panel and set that service to Automatic. Then reboot.
Bob

Collapse -
Actually,
by nuentes / July 31, 2009 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at SERVICES

I havent seen a message like that. I listed all the messages that I have received.

That doesn't necessarily mean you arent right, though.

I cannot find the services control panel. I know you like to "teach a man to fish", but I really can't find the directory you are speaking of, and would just like a bit more guidance.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Collapse -
Pick an article you like.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Actually,
Collapse -
That did the trick
by nuentes / July 31, 2009 12:37 PM PDT

Thanks Bob.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad it helped.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: That did the trick
Collapse -
I can't turn on Window Security Center
by thenguyenmd / December 12, 2010 10:39 PM PST
In reply to: Glad it helped.

I can not turn on Window Security Center. Following the Bob's advice, I try to open service control panel, but when I open it, a window opens and informs:

" One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because either:
1)Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page OR
2)You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls.
As the result, the page might not display correctly"

Please show me the way to solve this problem.

Collapse -
More Information Would Be Helpfu...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 2:07 AM PST

You've jumped into an old thread and not told us anything about your computer.. Operating system, make and model? What you've done to correct the problem? The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

In the meantime, because malware can easily cause such issues, please follow the steps below:

If you can download the tools below on your current computer, and get them to work, then fine, but frequently the problem malware prevents the programs from running correctly. If that's the case, then download ALL of the tools below on a friend or family member's, CLEAN computer and copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer them to the problem machine.

And if you haven't already, please delete all Temp and Temporary Internet Files from your computer.

First, after transferring it to the problem machine, run the following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run. (courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)
If you need to run them in Safe Mode, then give run all the tools while in Safe Mode. There are 3 different versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all the background programs.
Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as Admin
You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

Rkill.com
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

Rkill.scr
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill.

Once downloaded and before transferring Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder....

And after that, if everything's fine by you can't connect to the internet, then follow the procedures below to check your network "proxy" settings.

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.......

Grif

Collapse -
me, too
by huchdieduch / December 13, 2010 6:41 AM PST

Hello,

have exact same problem on Win7 32bit. System runs fine, but there's some malware on it.

Symptoms:

- ActiveX is not running (Sidebar applications fail, services control fails for extended mode, standard mode works)

- the WSCSVC service is disabled. i can enable and successfully start it, but after some seconds it is again stopped and disabled. obviously, the malware does this.

Have followed your suggestions. 19 and 1 infections were found, removed, after reboot none found. And now the best: ActiveX works perfectly, BUT the always disabling wscsvc service still is there. I still can set it to autmatic and then start it - some seconds later it is "magically" stopped and set to disabled. grrrrrr...

any suggestions? which live cd might work?
thanks in advance!

Collapse -
Just one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: me, too

Avoid jumping into old posts that are "solved." Your post is buried.

Collapse -
just look at the dependencies
by rafelb / March 3, 2011 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: me, too

my solotion was as follows
the start is ok: type 'services.msc' in wherever you type your windows commands.
subsequently look for the 'security center' service; right click that and choose 'properties'
the next logical step is to look up it's dependencies and enable them first (maybe check their dependencies and so on, and so on). Finished with that, you can finally enable and start 'Security service' in a way it can lean on it's dependencies.

have fun with it!
R

Collapse -
Thanks!
by joeru3 / June 12, 2011 4:07 AM PDT

Thank you.

Collapse -
Windows Security
by crrltech / May 17, 2011 8:14 AM PDT

Thank you sooooo Much this worked like a charm !

Collapse -
same
by lil_wataru / May 5, 2011 2:12 AM PDT

we have the same problem..
did you fixed it already???
please help me if yes

Collapse -
Not Much Information There...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 5, 2011 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: same

You've jumped into an old thread and not told us anything about your computer.. Operating system, make and model? What you've done to correct the problem? The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

In the meantime, because malware can easily cause such issues, please follow the steps below:

If you can download the tools below on your current computer, and get them to work, then fine, but frequently the problem malware prevents the programs from running correctly. If that's the case, then download ALL of the tools below on a friend or family member's, CLEAN computer and copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer them to the problem machine.

And if you haven't already, please delete all Temp and Temporary Internet Files from your computer.

First, after transferring it to the problem machine, run the following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run. (courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)
If you need to run them in Safe Mode, then give run all the tools while in Safe Mode. There are 3 different versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all the background programs.
Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as Admin
You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

Rkill.com
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

Rkill.scr
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill.

Once downloaded and before transferring Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder....

And after that, if everything's fine by you can't connect to the internet, then follow the procedures below to check your network "proxy" settings.

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.......

Grif

Collapse -
yahoo
by lil_wataru / May 5, 2011 2:18 PM PDT

thanks man... this thing works
just follow this steps properly and wallaaaa... its all back to normal...
if a trojan virus pop ups just ignor it...
its just the spywares that you download...
im using avg anti virus...
it takes 12 hours for me to fixed it. damn long right..
but it works...
thanks alot man... "YOUR THE MAN"

Collapse -
yahoo
by lil_wataru / May 5, 2011 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: yahoo

ater you follow this steps correctly..
the security center was still disable..
next step is to type the services in search in start menu.
and run it...
if the problem of your machine is all about activex control...
this is the best thing to do....
just understand the steps be pacient...

Collapse -
yes
by lil_wataru / May 5, 2011 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at SERVICES

i've got the same problem... and the error is what you said... "windows cannot be started becouse some oher program using it or you disable it" something like that.. ive already did what you said it will turn on for a while... after 15 second it will turned of again...

please hep me wih this one..

Collapse -
That error message.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2011 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: yes

With the spelling errors is a sign. Try Grif's advice about what tools to use to scan the machine with.
Bob

Collapse -
When your infected sometimes
by orlbuckeye / May 5, 2011 2:43 AM PDT

these infections disable your virus protection software or the hijack your browser and don't let you download programs that remove them. Also you have Spyware, Virues and Malware which are all different. Typically the hardest attacks are the ones that load up at startup. Those you can get if you boot in safe mode and ran a scan. Doing this in safe mode get them because they have started up yet.

Experts typically charge at least 90.00 to remove your infections. So hopefully you can remove it with a scan.

Collapse -
To anupbharadwaj, post deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 16, 2011 9:35 PM PDT

I deleted your post.

You linked to some unknown file, for some unknown reason, and no-one could say what the file would do.

Please refrain from doing that in future. Only well-known and well-established fixes are preferable in these forums.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.