Cameras

General discussion

Cant't get pictures off of memory card

by 1957fred / June 22, 2007 11:07 PM PDT

I used a 1 gb impact sc card in my kodak camera for my daughters wedding and can not get the pictures off. If you put it in the camera or try to load them into the computer it says need to format which I did not do. I took it to a photo center and their machine would not read it either. I know there are pictures on it We looked at them before we removed the sc card. I used some recovery hardware to help retrieve them and if does show that there is something on the card but will not read it. Pleas help if anyone has any suggestions Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cant't get pictures off of memory card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cant't get pictures off of memory card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does the card still work in the camera?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2007 11:24 PM PDT

If so, use the USB cable and Kodak's software.

Bob

Collapse -
Does card still work
by 1957fred / June 23, 2007 12:50 AM PDT

We tried that and no you can not see the pictures on the camera and when we does this it comes up and says needs formatted. Which we did not do. We know this will erase all the pictures. These are my daughters wedding pictures please help...

Collapse -
Since the store readers don't work..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2007 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Does card still work

We are left with few alternatives. Try a few softwares like these.

http://www.diskinternals.com/flash-recovery/recovery-how-to.shtml

Notice that it claims to recovery even a formatted card. Tell us how it turns out. Sorry but beyond this you need to call places like DRIVESAVERS.COM to see if they work on memory card retrieval.

Bob

Collapse -
Long shots...
by Papa Echo / June 23, 2007 1:29 AM PDT

Try these:
? Put the card in different cameras, same model and brand, different models, different brands - which accept the card and see whether the pictures come up.
? Use different card readers.
? Put the card into a card reader and connect to computer. Launch a photo editing program and try to access (Open) the card from within the application (i.e. not using My Computer nor Windows Explorer).

Be ready to upload the pictures to the computer.

Collapse -
I JUST HAD THE SAME PROBLEM with an SD card
by Dolphinchini / June 27, 2007 9:06 AM PDT

I just went to a wedding last week and took over 350 pics (243 on this one card). When I got back and tried to transfer the pics I had the same exact problem.

I used a 512 SD card. I tried some free recovery programs, they didn't work. I contacted Lexar because it was a Kodak SD card and Lexar puts them out. I downloaded their image 3 recovery software. It cost about $32.00. But the program will not read the card from your camera or printer. I went out and bought a USB card reader for about $14.00. I could not believe it, but I recovered 203 out of the 243 pictures. Please try it. It was worth the extra money I had to spend. I am also going to send the card to Lexar to have them try to recover the rest of the pics.

Please let me know how you do.

Dolphin

Collapse -
questionn about usb card reader
by 1957fred / June 27, 2007 11:05 AM PDT

Could you tell me what kind of card reader you used and where you got it. I really appreciate your help and I am going to go get one when I find out where to get one.
Thank again
Fred

Collapse -
Card Reader
by Dolphinchini / June 27, 2007 11:32 AM PDT

You can go to any Best Buy or Comp Usa, Staples, Radio Shack. I don't know what state you are in. I bought mine at Staples. It actually was a SanDisk Mobile Card Reader. The one I bought is for SD & SDHC minic, etc.

I'm sure you have a usb port on your computer. Make sure whichever you buy is compatible with your system.

Tell whichever store you go to that you need a USB Card reader, but tell them the type of memory card you have. I think you said it was an SC. Just tell me. Or even go to the Lexar support site first. Cut and paste the link below and it should take you to the page for the recovery program. (If not go to www.lexar.com
http://store.lexar.com/index.cfm?category=25&subcategory=46&productid=IR-704-DWN&bhcp=1

Let me know how it work.

Dolphin

Collapse -
card reader
by 1957fred / June 29, 2007 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Card Reader

hi I bought a card reader and it didn't read the card either. Thanks for your help anyway. Now I don't know what to do. I an send the card to Lexar and they can try to recover them for free or send them to
Drivesavers and pay to see if they can recover them. Got any suggestions? Thanks
Fred

Collapse -
I see two options here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2007 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: card reader
Collapse -
Photocard Recovery
by Zouch / June 29, 2007 1:11 PM PDT

Please be VERY careful with your Do It Yourself efforts - do not allow anything to write to your card, if it has a write protect switch, set it to prevent any possibility of it being written to it.

I would recommend Kroll Ontrack Data Recovery. I'm in the UK, so the URL I have for them is www.ontrackdatarecovery.co.uk Visit that site and top right is a button to select their website in your country (www.ontrack.com for the USA).

They offer a recovery service, where you can send your card to them - here, depending what needs to be done, prices start at about GBP 65.00 and up, about USD 120.00 and up.

They also have a "Home Use" software product, which has a trial version you can download for free, which will examine your card and identify what it would be able to recover - if that is successful, you can purchase the full function version online (the trial version won't actually copy the pictures).

If the trial version doesn't find anything to recover, give them a call (a free phone number in the UK and USA) and discuss the options and get a quote from them.

There are other companies that offer very similar services, Ontrack are just the one I know.

Good Luck.

Collapse -
Send it to me
by MichaelPerry / June 29, 2007 10:35 PM PDT

I'll pull everything off for you and send it back free of charge. Done it dozens of times for people across the net. Takes a GOOD reader and some expensive software that a client paid for. Happy

Let me know

michael@imichaelperry.com

Michael

Collapse -
It's fixed! Everything got recovered (1233 photos + movie)
by MichaelPerry / September 6, 2007 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Send it to me

Hi, I got the email today. Hoping you got mine. Your card and drive arrived safe and sound here. I was able to recover all of your pictures and the two movies. One movie was corrupted beyond repair, I'm afraid.

I'm returning your flash drive full of GREAT pictures and the XD card in it's original shape, should you decide to try and recover that last movie with a paid service.

Have a great day and let me know when your package arrives.

Peace and Grace,
Michael Perry
michael@imichaelperry.com

PS: Hmm, maybe I should just buy a domain and do this for free for more people. Happy

Michael

Collapse -
and so freeflashrecovery.com was born
by MichaelPerry / September 6, 2007 4:08 AM PDT

Hehehe...
I've got the domain. http:\\www.freeflashrecovery.com is mine!Website will be up tomorrow.
Let's see how this works.

Michael Happy

Collapse -
Free Card Recovery
by TLynn1962 / October 14, 2008 2:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Send it to me

Dear Michael,
I read your post from over a year ago, helping someone recover info
on a memory card.....HELP....I just took some photographs on my Nikon D70s of my close friends on the beach and I cannot pull up the pics...I had been using the card off and on for quite a while and there was other stuff on it....didn't notice til later that the counter was off and that the card or the camera separated these photos from the rest.....it is a kingston 4GB compact flash card...I tried my card reader, hooking the camera up to my computer, changing cameras....whatever i could think of but didn't work.....these are really important to me and do not want to loose them....
Are you still doing this ministry??? I couldn't get your website up and wondered if you changed the name or let it go after a year???
Write back if you can help me out....

Thanks!

TLynn

Collapse -
Try this:
by nev4z / June 30, 2007 9:38 AM PDT

This happened to me and had me a bit perplexed for a while.
Put the memory card into the reader and then go to 'My Computer'
You may see the card listed there. If it is double click it, and your pictures should come up.
Worth a try !!

Collapse -
Tried that
by 1957fred / July 1, 2007 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this:

Thanks
already tried that. When you do that the computer gets locked up and you get an error message. I think the sd card may be corrupted. At least that is what someone else said.. I guess I will try to send it and try to have someone recover the pictures.
Thanks again
Fred

Collapse -
digital photo download
by 19slim64 / October 1, 2009 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this:

I can download my photos off my digital camera onto my pc, but when it comes to saving them i am having a lot of difficulty. I am trying to save them the same way u would save a web page but it does not seem to be working for this. Please help as im am getting desperate. Thanks

Collapse -
Cant't get pictures off of memory card
by alansmithnl / July 1, 2007 5:29 PM PDT

I seem to recollect that when I had inserted a new memory card in my camera, I had the same problems. This is cause by the fact that the existing memory has to be copied to the new memory card. The existing memory ceases to function on the insertion of the new memory card. Maybe this will help.

It will also help if you take out your new memory card and download your pictures off the existing old memory. This should also work.

Alan Smith

Collapse -
Happened to me too but I found the answer....
by garth / July 9, 2007 2:58 AM PDT

I have had compact flash to sd cards do this to me here at work so I bought Photo Rescue which will allow to put the card in a multi-card reader and recover your photos off of the card very easily. Go to www.datarescue.com/photorescue . What seems to happen is the format gets corrupted somehow and the only way to save your photos is to get the card out of the camera and read it through an external device like a card reader using the software above. Depending on how bad the corruption is Windows is not the answer and sticking the card in another camera could cause loss of all pictures. Been there done that...Photorescue is the only thing that works.

Collapse -
my 2 cents worth
by BarefootMedia / July 9, 2007 3:23 AM PDT

I had a similar problem myself. I shot a number of photos of my wife & daughter singing on-stage together for their first time. Then the card started acting like your card. So I went to www.LC-Tech.com and downloaded their demo version of PhotoRecovery. The demo version let's you see the photos on the card. If you upgrade to the full version ($40 for single user license) then you can recover the photos. I recommend this route since you can see if the software will work before you spend any money on it. And it worked like a dream for me.

Good luck, hope this helps someone out there.

Tony Clark, Barefoot Media Productions

Collapse -
My Card Can't Be Read ... And Thinks It's Write-Protected
by tonyny77 / July 9, 2007 7:41 AM PDT

I had an SD card get corrupted too. I tried a recovery tool, but my system doesn't even recognize that this SD card is present when I insert it into the external USB-connected reader.

I stuck it back into the camera and the camera reports it needs to be formatted, BUT to make matters worse, the camera thinks the card is write-protected.

I haven't tried yet, but if nothing else works, I was thinking about trying to "degauss" the card with a powerful magnet taken from an old hard drive to see if that wouldn't allow me to format the card.

Collapse -
Cardrecovery
by douglas.grossman / July 9, 2007 11:12 AM PDT
http://www.cardrecovery.com try this it has a free trial and if it works it shows you the pics that can be recovered but you have to buy it to actually recover them
Collapse -
If you can't get from memory card
by Memory Maniac / July 9, 2007 4:09 PM PDT

Does your camera have a usb port? or a single plug (headphone looking plug,) if either, try accessing thru the computer trying to recognize
the camera as a "drive" (like cd-rom or dvd- or external drive). Also maybe there is an oxidation build-up on the contacts of the memory card or card reader, oxidation creats "resistance"- a hard to get thru pathway and at a low ohm area it might take the path of least "resistance" or just "stay put" beacause of resistance(poor path). Also believe it or not- NOT ALL MEMORY CARD READERS ARE CREATED EQUAL, So I have 3 different multiple card readers, Because Murphy has a law remember? Anyways, if you're near Sonoma County Send me an email and put on a pot of coffee( Strong please) haha. God Bless, hope I might have helped with a path Pat Paul. i4gtsht@hotmail.com

Collapse -
pc inspector
by twaynek / July 12, 2007 11:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
lost photos
by Joliet Eddie / October 16, 2008 12:00 AM PDT

Bummer. Really sorry. I've lost photos, too, in various ways. Hope that you get them back.

As an admonition to us all: regularly copy your photos off a memory card onto a computer and THEN format the card in the camera. Regular reformatting of the card in the camera (never on the computer--most cameras work best or at all when the card is formatted by the in-camera software) should help to prevent this kind of corruption. Especially if you're going out to shoot a wedding or other big family event, be sure to empty the card, reformat in the camera, and test at home.

Collapse -
transfer
by pomegranities / October 29, 2008 12:07 PM PDT

i have inserted my camera memory card (vivitar 8400) into my toshiba laptop but dont know how to assess pictures from memory card onto computer?

Collapse -
Transfer
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 30, 2008 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: transfer

If you are using Windows:

The computer treats the memory card/card reader as a disk drive.
Use "My Computer" and look for a new disk drive.
That disk drive is your memory card.

Now that you know where it is, use Windows Explorer to located the memory card and use "drag and drop" to move copies to your hard drive.

Collapse -
Help...
by kgarson / November 27, 2009 11:33 PM PST

I took some pictures while at family thanksgiving and b-day party. They are on my sd card for my digital camera. They show up when I look on my camera, but when i put my sd card in my laptop the window doesn't even show up to open it? I dont have my cord with me and wanted to email them to a family member that couldn't be here. I know it worked when i put the card in at least once cause i got it to work with the same sd card yesterday. I didn't know if there was something I was doing that was wrong or if it was the card, computer or what. Thanks,

Collapse -
Help
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 28, 2009 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: Help...

You didn't mention the capacity of the memory card.
If it is over 2 gig (SDHC), it will likely not work reliably on a laptop card reader if the laptop is over a year old.

Most older laptop SD card readers can not read SDHC cards.

Go to a local digital camera print business (WalMart - WalGreen Pharmacy) and see if they can read the card with their equipment.
Have them put the photo files on a CD. Most will do this for about $3.

Collapse -
How I got mine to work
by Zuloc / January 8, 2011 12:24 PM PST

I had the same issue when putting card in card reader at store then I could see pictures in a camera but the computer would say card needs to be formated. Put card in camera and use cable to transfer pictures to computer. After pictures where transfered I formated the card and now it works ok.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.