Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cant read files from floppy (98se) in XP

by atekla / July 8, 2004 8:39 AM PDT

I have a bunch of floppy disks that I used on my old PC with WIN98se installed. These disks have very important bussiness stuff on them and they are of extrem importance. I did not releize that I would not be able to read these on my new XP setup. (new pc) I have been looking for some third party software to convert these files or what ever I need to do to read and copy these on to my pc, but to my suprise, I have not been able to find anything to do the job. I am hoping you can refer me to software that can do this for me. Im sure you have seen this tag before but this is what I get when I try and open my floppies.
thanks for the help!

This disk was compressed using DriveSpace 3, which requires Windows 98.

To use this disk, you must first mount it. To mount it:

1. Run DriveSpace by choosing Run from the Windows 98 Start menu,
and then typing DRVSPACE.

2. In DriveSpace, click the drive that contains this disk,
click the Advanced menu, and then click Mount.

(If this file is located on a drive other than the physical drive
that contains the disk, then the compressed drive is already mounted).

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cant read files from floppy (98se) in XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cant read files from floppy (98se) in XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Cant read files from floppy (98se) in XP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2004 8:49 AM PDT

Ask someone who has a 98 machine, use theirs to decompress it and write to CDR.

Bob

Collapse -
by atekla / July 8, 2004 9:47 AM PDT

Dont know anyone still running Win 98

Collapse -
The long roundabout.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2004 10:10 AM PDT

In or about 1994, Linux began to see Doublespace support.

Reference thsfs and http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/system/filesystems/thsfs.lsm

Since you now have Windows XP only and no friends with 98, then it's time to boot up KNOPPIX (use Google please) and see if it deals with it.

If so, then use K3b to copy such to CDR or if you have a FAT32 partition, to that partition.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: The long roundabout.
by atekla / July 8, 2004 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: The long roundabout.

I have gone to the site you are talking about (KNOPPIX) and I have no idea what you are trying to say and how this peice of software is going to solve my problem

Collapse -
Subscribe to this discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2004 10:45 AM PDT
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6617-0.html?forumID=11&threadID=28664&messageID=324789

KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with an OS that won't touch your hard disk, but most can use to browse disks and burn files to CD.

Your problem is going to be solved by either finding your friend with 98 still installed, installing 98 on some machine, other variation or paying many dollars to a data recovery house.

It's best you understand that you are part of the solution. You may have to upgrade your view of the world of PCs, embrace new tools and methods.

We've been there and will help you out, but remember you get to do all the real work...

To see how KNOPPIX was used, read http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

Bob
Collapse -
by Papa Echo / July 8, 2004 10:09 AM PDT

What file system is with your XP - FAT32 or NTFS ? Do you have the appropriate programs installed ? I have floppies of MS Word 97 files created under Windows 95, and am able to read them with MS Word 2002 under Win XP Pro ( File system FAT32).

Collapse -
by atekla / July 8, 2004 10:19 AM PDT

This is the message I get when I try to open some of my floppies.

This disk was compressed using DriveSpace 3, which requires Windows 98.

To use this disk, you must first mount it. To mount it:

1. Run DriveSpace by choosing Run from the Windows 98 Start menu,
and then typing DRVSPACE.

2. In DriveSpace, click the drive that contains this disk,
click the Advanced menu, and then click Mount.

(If this file is located on a drive other than the physical drive
that contains the disk, then the compressed drive is already mounted).

To automatically mount all available compressed drives, click the
Advanced menu, click Settings, and then check the "Automatically mount
new compressed drives" box.

IMPORTANT: To mount and use this compressed disk, you must be running
Windows 98.

Collapse -
by atekla / July 8, 2004 10:28 AM PDT

My XP is NTFS

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / July 8, 2004 2:01 PM PDT

Sorry- I missed the latter part of your original post.
Follow Bob's lead. I have used KNOPPIX myself. It is a Linux Operation System on a CD. If you boot up your computer with the KNOPPIX CD, the OS within will reconize your drives, keyboards, etc. The interface is not unlike Windows, and quite easy to use. Within the KNOPPIX CD, there is a CD burning facility with which you can use to copy the files from your floppy to a CD RW, hopefully solving your problem. Of course, you must have a CD burner to create the KONPPIX CD. BTW, have you really compressed the floppies at Win 98Se, or was that message a mistake or wrong (by Windows) ?

Collapse -
by atekla / July 8, 2004 6:07 PM PDT

I had a 8560c pavilion (HP) which had win 98 se. I had compressed my floppies on that pc. I did not know I would'nt be able to open them in xp. This makes no sence to me at all! So what the hell did the rest of the world do with there floppies full of info that could not be opened or converted in XP. Wouldn't it make sense to have some kind of converter in xp that could change the files to NTFS files. another no brainer by Microsoft!

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / July 8, 2004 7:36 PM PDT

Some people ask around for Win 98 machines. Most probably still have that CD to install again. And most people probably do not know about that quicksand. Have you burnt that KNOPPIX CD ?

Collapse -
by glb613 / July 8, 2004 8:33 PM PDT

"So what the hell did the rest of the world do with there floppies full of info that could not be opened or converted in XP."

Before I bought a new computer and upgraded from Windows 98 to XP, I copied everything onto CD-Rs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.