Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

cant move cursor to select "safe mode" in xp

by waynebb54 / December 1, 2009 9:49 PM PST

hello everyone, im hoping to find some assistance for a problem my father is experiencing after installing a driver upgrade which has caused a blue screen crash.
im afraid i wont know the details of the driver or what equipment hes using until later, all i know presently is its a desktop using xp.

basically i was wondering if there is a way to start xp in safe mode without the use of the arrow keys and enter key as his keyboard freezes up after the F8 key is used to get to the safe mode screen.

regards wayne

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cant move cursor to select "safe mode" in xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cant move cursor to select "safe mode" in xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have a machine that did that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 10:07 PM PST

It was a bios change. I offer no step by step but on this machine I had to change USB KEYBOARD SUPPORT to "Enabled."

Collapse -
bios change
by waynebb54 / December 1, 2009 11:08 PM PST

thanks for the advice, ill pass the info on when he returns from work

Collapse -
bios change
by waynebb54 / December 2, 2009 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: bios change

hi, changing the bios USB setting had no affect.
i have spoken to my father and he was installing a SATA drive upgrade, why im not sure, but the crash occured as soon as installation was completed.
he has also noticed on a screen that his hard drives are not there/recognised anymore.
his keyboard works on the bios screen but freezes on the safe mode screen.
he has his photos etc backed up so its not a matter of life and death, he would just like to get back on line.
please forgive my lack of correct terminology etc, my knowledge of computers is quite basic.
any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Ahh, the old XP SATA issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2009 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: bios change

That's another nugget. I suggest a clean install and research the troubles of XP to a SATA drive.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.