Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cant Move Any Icons

by -H-I-M- / March 20, 2005 12:25 PM PST

Alright, I have a big problem here and I tried searchin Google till I reached the end of the internet! I had recently installed BootVis like 20 min ago and suddenly after I restarted the computer, I couldn't move any icons on the desktop or any folders! I tried checkin the auto arrange option and it was off. This is very strange as it has never happened to me before. When I drag the icon to somewhere on my desktop, it disappears from the arrow as if I hadn't touched it. It's like my icons are locked into place and it's driving me insane trying to find a solution! I would be ever so grateful if somebody on here had a solution to my problem here. I run Windows XP Professional SP2. Thank you very much.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cant Move Any Icons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cant Move Any Icons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried a system restore?
by glb613 / March 20, 2005 6:51 PM PST
In reply to: Cant Move Any Icons

Or uninstall that program?

Collapse -
by -H-I-M- / March 21, 2005 1:05 PM PST

yes i have. tried both. so now i have reformatted and it just happened again. i just uninstalled Teamspeak and it happened. i dont know what ios goin on here. I need help!!

Collapse -
Try this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2005 6:58 PM PST
In reply to: yes

Try searching for the desktop icons H-I-M

Right click Start, and click Explore. This will open up Windows Explorer and on the left pane will highlight Start Menu" for your account.

Look just above there for "Desktop" and highlight that. In the pane on the right your desktop icon shortcuts should appear.

Check those, eg right click and select Properties, and see if the "Hidden" attribute has been set under the General tab.

This may be able to tell you something about the icons.

Also, right click the Desktop folder itself and select Properties, and explore the tabs there.

Good luck,

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / March 21, 2005 8:37 PM PST

The article [Q830071] warns that the following problems can occur if the Remote Procedure Call Service is disabled and provides the steps to troubleshoot the issue(s):

a. You cannot move icons on the desktop

b. You cannot view event log entries

c. You can open the Services Microsoft Management Console (MMC), but you cannot see any services listed.

Collapse -
unmovable icons
by Chris Davis / March 30, 2005 11:44 AM PST

I just ran into the same problem. I do on-site work and I have never ran into a problem quite like this. I have a feeling it was a virus of some kind that did some kind of damage to the registry. I messed around with it for 30-40 minutes or better before deciding their best and fastest option was to reinstall.
I am not sure if it was all related or not but several services in admin tools were disabled and/or constantly trying to start, the extended info did not list the services, instead, it had a thick blue highlight that took up several lines. If I would click standard description, I would see everything, but could not change any options. It had a lot of spyware, mostly hotbar related stuff. Getting back to not being able to move icons, I could also not move windows, and removable storage was detected but no icon in my computer (suspected the disabled services) Safe mode did not help at all, and NAV was disabled and giving some type of error message on startup. Startup itself took a very long time to display the users.
I downloaded Spybot, Adaware, SpywareBlaster, and AVG, ran all the updates and insalled Firefox. Problem solved. Luckily, there was not much on it, it was used primarily to surf the net type some emails and write some letters. No biggie to lose it all.
I still do not know the real cause - which I find a little frustrating, but at least it's fixed.

Collapse -
Uninstall the software you just installed
by thriftmeister / March 30, 2005 1:21 PM PST

Might be a problem with the software you just installed--try uninstalling it and that could fix the problem and let you know the is an issue with the software on your system. Then if they have tech support check with them or their web site for any known issues.
More PC tips at

Collapse -
Cant Move any Desktop Icons
by pcprob / September 24, 2009 10:59 PM PDT

Check your mouse Pointer Speed Setting. I was having the same problem moving desktop icons. When I increased the mouse pointer speed from midway to the highest speed I found that I could then move the desktop icons.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.