Windows 7 forum

General discussion

cant install windows 7 .themepack

by blackshell / January 26, 2010 7:55 PM PST

i downloaded a few themes from microsoft website,but when i try to install them by double clicking them,,it simly doesnt respond
and the default progrma for .themempack file is "Windows Shell Common Dll"
but i want to install these themepack so badly

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cant install windows 7 .themepack
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cant install windows 7 .themepack
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: themes
by Kees Bakker / January 26, 2010 7:58 PM PST

Please tell the download link.

Kees

Collapse -
a few possible issues
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 27, 2010 3:48 AM PST

Check your security settings on IE8, permissions (administrator) and version of Windows 7 (Windows starter will not allow you to change your theme).

Tara

Collapse -
Any more ideas?
by tranquility_base / February 19, 2010 12:25 PM PST
In reply to: a few possible issues

I have Windows 7 Home Premium and am having the same problem. I am logged in as an administrator.

Any more ideas on how to fix this? What IE settings are you talking about? I don't actually use IE as my browser, so I don't think that's it.

Collapse -
If you are using mozilla it has different behaviour
by harjeetchandwani / September 3, 2010 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Any more ideas?

Open personalization window, you will see theme with black window. Click on theme you will get dialog to subscribe. This happens only if you have downloaded themepack file using mozilla browser and you are trying to run from default temp location.

Collapse -
two easy steps
by 12buttmuncher / January 28, 2010 2:34 PM PST

firstly,

A theme pack contains following things:

1. Desktop Wallpaper

2. Desktop icons

3. Screensaver

4. Slideshows

5. Sounds

6. Mouse Pointers

7. Color of the theme

secondly,

1. Change the Desktop Background picture and settings.

2. Change the Window Color and Appearance settings.

3. Change the Sounds for the Windows 7 sound events to any sound file that you would like instead.

4. Change the Screen Saver and settings to be used for this theme pack.

5. Change, add, or remove any Desktop Icons that you want to with.

6. Change the Mouse Pointers to use pointers of your choice.

7. Proceed to OPTION TWO below to save your customized theme as a theme pack.

Collapse -
What version of Windows are you running?
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 29, 2010 2:45 AM PST

I should have asked this before- on a longshot if you are running Windows 7 starter pack you will not be able to use this feature. More information will help us determine the issue.

Tara

Collapse -
Same problem
by clemente_cg / February 14, 2011 9:38 PM PST

I have the same problem adding new themes. Old ones I can change but no new ones can be added. I have no idea what has happend?

CK

Collapse -
still cant install windows 7 .themepack
by JohnA2 / January 27, 2013 11:58 PM PST

I haven't been able to install themepacks for about a year now... can't find a solution. I can manually unpack a themepack and place it in the C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes directory but the result is deficient since the Desktop Backgroup points to a non existent directory called "final_prepped_images" and the previous theme's background remains on the screen. If I manually change it from the Personalization control panel, it works but now I have two themes - the copied in theme and the modified theme. It must be a setting somewhere that causes this because other installations have no problems. Does anyone have any ideas how to go about debugging this frustrating issue?

-- John

Collapse -
Back to the theme's author.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 12:42 AM PST

Maybe they bungled it, or the OS changed with service packs and they need to fix this.

Other ideas.
- Try another user account.
- Try another PC.

Collapse -
cant install windows 7 .themepack Is also my problem...
by Kkrump / February 4, 2014 2:32 AM PST

Can anyone tell me the path these themepacks go? I think I can redirect it and make it work. I have windows 7 Ultimate.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.