Computer Help forum

General discussion

cant defrag my system? why?

by raliegh / October 23, 2005 12:58 AM PDT

I am running an old windows 98 system and have been told that I shuld defrag it , but when I go to properties or systems and try to defrag it runs a short time then says defrag tried to work 10 times but had to restart because of possible other systems running, what should I do?

thanks for any help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cant defrag my system? why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cant defrag my system? why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well documented.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2005 1:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
Raliegh, Just Allow It To Continue...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 23, 2005 3:18 AM PDT

The 10 times warning means that it's having to restart the process over and over..Choose to let it continue and eventually it will finish..

In addition to Bob's good advice in the previous post, here are some other procedures which should help prevent that message from occuring. The steps may take a while, but they'll help the computer run smoother.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

And once all that's done, run Scandisk and Defrag per the instructions in the link below:

What Do I Do When Scandisk and Defrag Won't Run In Win9.x/ME

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Defrag your Hard Drive
by teflondk / October 24, 2005 3:59 PM PDT

Boot your computer to minimal applications. Shut down your computer and restart, hold down the "CTRL" key when you hear the computer power on.
You will then get 4 options choose the "Minimal Boot"
When windows does come up, then run defrag.
When defrag finishes, reboot your system. Done.

What happens is, there are too many applications running in the background and with them constantly writing, defrag does not get a chance to start and complete,when you do a minimal boot as you will see from the way your screen looks, you wont even have your regular resolution settings, dont get scared.

Collapse -
by raliegh / October 26, 2005 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Defrag your Hard Drive

Your info about shutdown and go to mini boot was great, the only difference with my program it took me to "safe mode" boot where the de frag and disk scan was completed .
My machine runs much better now ,
thanks to all who helped me.

Collapse -
Easy, automatic, healthy defrag.
by rickolano / October 27, 2005 10:22 PM PDT

As you and your system mature and get better, faster and more powerful...defragging is a routine you can't do without for very long.

Forget about all the steps needed to make the onboard defrag utility work. Try a third party powerhouse called Diskeeper.

Since I found it after many evaluations of defrag programs, this is the one. Set it and forget it! Diskeeper will do optimize your drive automatically and even compress free space as a second auto function when you choose via an easy to set schedule.

Don't take my word for it.. try it for yourself!

Collapse -
Easy Automatic healthy defrag
by Ron Geiken / October 28, 2005 3:35 AM PDT

Diskeeper 9.0 is now available, and it is the best for defragging a computer. I have it set to defrag when the screen saver is on, and then just before I turn the computer off, I do one last defrag. I have Windows XP with 2 gig of DDR2 and an Intel 630 processor, so the defrag process runs pretty fast. You can try it on a 30 day trial and see if it helps to have your computer defragged and that this will speed up operation. The defrag program supplied with windows has been inadequate to be very helpful. I takes forever, and like you when I used it, it would have to continually restart.

Collapse -
heres the answer
by mikehunt / October 28, 2005 1:12 AM PDT

you have running processes which prevent your system from completing the the following.
on your desktop....
click start-then click run-type in msconfig-click ok
a dialog box will appear, click on the ''start-up''tab, then disable all start-up programs, except syst tray
click ok then try it
...or do it the easy way, start your computer in safe mode by pressing the f8 button as it boots up, you will get options showing up,.. one of them is ''run safe mode'' scroll to it and click it..your computer will start in safe mode which disables all your default drives, the help page wil probaley open up as well just close it, you desktop will or should be grey in appearance with safe mode text in each corner, this means your are now in safe mode, now run your defrag, it won't allow you to defrag if you have disc errors, so try running degfrag first if you sit and watch it for 10 minutes or so without getting an alert that says ''your disc has errors and defrag cannot continue until they are repaired'' then go away for 45 minutes , depending on the size of your hd, and it should be finished when you come back.
or if you havent run a full disc scan before then you might as well run a thorough disc scan first[while your in safe mode], do it while your asleep it can take hours , make sure you have the ''fix errors automatically'' box checked then let the computer do it's stuff. then when you wake up your comp will be ready to defrag, plus it will be able to, which is what you want..bye
ps, starting in safe mode requires you to click the ''f8 button'' before windows loads, make sure you click it continually because there is only a small calibration point at which you have to get it to function

Collapse -
by jynx / October 28, 2005 2:19 AM PDT

Hi Raliegh,

Lots of good answers. You may already be aware of this reason for defrag troubles, but I wanted to add it because it caught me off-guard and about drove me nuts trying to figure out the problem - space. Some defraggers need approx 10-15% of free space to function.

I use O & O Defrag 6 Professional Edition. It's only job is to defrag and it does it well. It only needs 5% free space, it's ok to stop the defrag while it's operating, and I can continue doing anything on my computer, altho I try not to delete or rearrange a lot of files since it has to re-do that work.

~~Life is the whim of several billion cells to be you for a while.

Collapse -
I doubt it was space low free space for Raliegh
by ackmondual / October 28, 2005 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: space?

Iv'e used scanDisk (or whatever the 'lite' version of the disk defragger that came with winXP is called) and PerfectDisk. If there was insufficient space for even the bare minimum on either of them, it would tell you up front to clear more space.

That being said, I know PerfectDisk only requires 5% free (although additional free space may speed up the process).... and does it in a single pass while the winXP defragger requires at least 15% free and defrags through multiple passes. Single pass would make the process much faster as well although YMMV.

Collapse -
can't defrag my computer ??
by fireman6261 / October 28, 2005 1:38 PM PDT

on the subjet of can't defrag my computer i had the same problem too it gave me that message so i shut down my machine and when it booted back up i held down the ctrl key and went in to safe mode and then to defrag and it went and did the trick and i am runing windows 98se also so thats how i solved that problem ..

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.