Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

cant connect

by nicklaus / January 28, 2006 2:35 AM PST

I get a Work Offine error when I click to go to the internet. I get two buttons, one says work offline, the other says try again. If I click the try again, it goes online. What cas I do to get rid of this error. Im running XP Home SP2. IE 6.0.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cant connect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cant connect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: cant connect
by Tufenuf / January 28, 2006 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: cant connect

nicklaus, Have you opened Internet Explorer, click "File" and make sure that "Work Offline" isn't checkmarked?

Tufenuf

Collapse -
yes
by nicklaus / January 28, 2006 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re: cant connect

work offline is not checked. Thanks for that idea

Collapse -
More information is needed
by PudgyOne / January 28, 2006 6:22 AM PST

More information is needed. You have not told us what your ISP is or how you connect to the internet. Each ISP can connect differently.

Collapse -
broadband
by nicklaus / January 28, 2006 12:52 PM PST

is how I get online. And Ive had broadband for years. Its just recently that this started happening on my desktop. It doesnt happen on my laptop. I have everything going though a router. Comcast is my ISP. But, Im sure its a software setting somewhere that needs to be changed. Just not quite sure where.

Collapse -
If I remember correctly
by PudgyOne / January 28, 2006 9:56 PM PST
In reply to: broadband

If I remember correctly, there is something to do with changing a number somewhere. Can't remember if it was with the router,IP address or what. I do remember that me friend called Comcast and explained the problem to them and they told him how to fix it.

I used to have this information but lost it.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
See if you have. . .
by Cursorcowboy / January 29, 2006 8:55 PM PST

The article [Q180946] states that every time you start IE, it may be started in Work Offline mode or you may receive the message Navigation Canceled, and you may even remain offline when deselecting the Work Off Line option. This article explains that this issue can occur if the GlobalUserOffline DWORD value in the following registry address is not changed from 1 (one) to 0 (zero) when the Work Offline command is clicked to remove the check mark. This article also warns that you may have to edit this key each time you are unable to disable the Offline mode:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings

Note: It is hinted also to check the following registry key, and if the default String values are not as reflected, create them as necessary:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WebCheck

''LoadSens''=''auto''
''LoadLCE''=''auto''

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.