Windows 8

General discussion

Cant boot from Windows 8 to Windows 7

by yobacan / December 18, 2012 12:48 AM PST

Hello,

I want to install W7 on my newly acquired notebook with W8. So, for that I download W7 and burned it from ISO to a DVD and put in the notebook. Now, I am not an expert, but still didnt want to spend money on pc technicians, so I was careful about looking for information on how to reboot (I selected UEFI configuration on advanced options). After going into BIOS, I set the order to 1st boot device CD/DVD, and 2nd boot device hard-drive, and put Secure boot to disabled option. So, when I restart windows and it asks to press a button I do it and then it shows me a long message, which says:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer
2. Choose your language settings and then click "Next"
3. Click "Repair your computer"

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assitance.

File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
Info: An error ocurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I hope you can help me solve this because I have no idea to do, and as I said, I am not an expert. I dont know if the problem is the CD or the Windows itself.

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cant boot from Windows 8 to Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cant boot from Windows 8 to Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 12:51 AM PST

Such a setup is not supported by Microsoft. Unless you find some hack on the web, you need to do this the supported (EXPENSIVE) way by installing 7 clean and maybe by setting to UEFI to legacy mode (BIOS) and then installing 7 clean. Then leave unpartitioned space to install your second license OEM Windows 8 Pro to .

The license of Windows 8 is forgotten and some folk get uppity about this.

You can install Windows 7 Pro or better in a virtual PC like "Virtual Box" if need be.
Bob

Collapse -
re
by yobacan / December 18, 2012 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: You're right.

Bob, thanks for your answer, but since I am not an expert, I couldnt understand much of it. What I could sense was that it does not look easy, and maybe I will have to look for a technician in the end.

Collapse -
Bring cash. (not kidding.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: re

To get this done the tech would need the full retail version of Windows 7 to install first. Then for Windows 8 you need the OEM Version of which version of 8 you want. The prior license is not usable for this endeavor.

The tech would then have to find drivers for each OS and would set up the dual boot.

-> Be sure to have them create a way to restore such a setup as reinstalling is not that easy. I suggest ACRONIS to backup the entire drive to some USB external since the number of DVDs is too unwieldy. You'll need the latest ACRONIS if you decide to leave this machine in it's UEFI glory.

One last issue. For now, today there is no free way to reset passwords on Windows installed under UEFI. This may change but as a safe guard please create spare admin capable accounts.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by yobacan / December 18, 2012 9:39 PM PST

Thanks a ot for your opinion. I will check it and try to follow your advice with an expert help too.

Collapse -
Not clear.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 9:46 PM PST

Do you want to install Windows 7 REPLACING Windows 8? That's easy with a Windows 7 disk, although you might need to use DBAN or KILLDISK first to fully erase the hard disk. But I fail to see why you didn't buy a notebook with Windows 7 then.
Be sure you can get all drivers for Windows 7. That might be an issue if it came with Windows 8.

Or do you want to make a dual-boot configuration, so you can choose which one to use when you boot? That's complex, as Bob writes.

Kees

Collapse -
Bob is right
by richardgc_1 / December 19, 2012 1:59 AM PST

If you are going to go this route it is a must to do it right not by some half baked idea or "hack". His way will give you the best results and the best dual booting system possible. I learned the hard way and although not cheap it really is the only way to go.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.