Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

CanoScan toolbox for LiDE30/20 flatbed scanner

by Watsisname / January 14, 2011 12:16 AM PST

Tech tracker recently updated my canoscan toolbox from 4.1 to 5.0.1.2a which resulted in the scanner not working. Canon informed me that for my particular scanner (LiDE30) It should be 4.1.3.5. which now works fine. Meanwhile tech tracker still tries to update me to the 5.0... Perhaps an issue that needs sorting.
Regards Whatisname

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CanoScan toolbox for LiDE30/20 flatbed scanner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CanoScan toolbox for LiDE30/20 flatbed scanner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd hide it from your list...
by John.Wilkinson / January 14, 2011 1:30 PM PST

TechTracker cannot detect what hardware you use your software with and determine if the updated software is compatible, something that would be phenomenal but also exceeds the capabilities of any third-party updater I've seen. Thus, your best option is to use the "Hide" option on cnet.com/TechTracker so that you're not prompted with future updates.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
Cano Scan toolbox for LiDE 30/20 flatbed scanner continued
by Watsisname / January 17, 2011 2:30 AM PST

Thanks John, will do.
I have figured out the overall problem from tech tracker; 5.0.1.2a is the most up to date toolbox from Canon BUT it is only appropriate for a particular set of scanners. You should put a warning on the download page to get it from the Canon download website and use the filter boxes to search out your particular download appropriate to your particular scanner. That is; Operating system, Language and finaly the exact scanner from the pull down menu in the hardware filter. It will save it all ending in tears!
Or another way is to have tech tracker savvy to each seperate Canon driver and only offer the update to that driver, simples.

Collapse -
That's up to Canon...
by John.Wilkinson / January 17, 2011 4:05 AM PST

The developer/manufacturer is the one that creates a listing on CNET Downloads and controls what content is included in the description, requirements, et cetera. Thus, it is Canon's choice whether to include references to the compatibility matcher on their website and warnings regarding compatibility with specific scanner models. I'd love to see TechTracker able to select software to match your hardware, but it would primarily require three things:

1.) A significant enhancement of TechTracker to detect connected hardware.
2.) Users to connect every piece of hardware they own before running a scan with TechTracker. (Drivers alone are not a reliable compatibility indicator.)
3.) Full cooperation from all hardware manufacturers to provide a complete list compatible hardware/software combinations, along with updates for every new release.

The first is something CNET could conceivably do, but the latter two are beyond its control and would presumably need to be guaranteed in advance. At least, that's my analysis on the proposal and why I think it is unlikely they'll add the feature anytime soon.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
by Watsisname / January 17, 2011 3:23 PM PST
In reply to: That's up to Canon...

Dear John, I have perhaps not explained myself properly.
I take on board what you are saying about checking hardware, it would be some kit for Tech tracker to aim for but not for now then.
My beef is that a single update is being offered accross the board of scanners and not specificly aimed at the particular software/driver that drives my scanner.
However, I note your comment that Canon approaches you with updates and should make sure they are aimed at the correct driver, I was unaware of this and thought you trawled the ether looking for updates. I will copy this thread to Canon, perhaps pointed in the right direction a canon ball wouldn't go amiss.
Regards John

Collapse -
by Watsisname / January 24, 2011 2:28 AM PST

Dear John Wilkinson, I have tried to draw the problem to Canonsupport but we seem to have hit an impasse, they do not seem to see the problem and say that they cannot comment on another webpages content. Their report page only allows 6,000 bits so it is difficult to communicate the problem fully in one hit. I shall ,like the dog with a bone, keep trying until they admit that it is in their interest. Meanwhile watch this space!
Regards John.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.