How To forum

CanoScan photo scanner won't connect to new computers

by cheapsis / June 30, 2012 3:39 AM PDT

We had HP Pavilion Windows XP and CanoScan FS4000US and with great difficulty and enormous labor scanned the photography for a book - thousands of pictures. The hard drive storing this material crashed and could not be recovered. So we bought a new HP with Windows 7 home premium.
We are trying to connect the CanoScan FS4000US hardware which is a pro-level scanner for slides and negatives: It was working fine on the XP HP. With original cable and software from CD, we try to install. Unfortunately the Windows software is not recognizing the device, and the CD allows us to unzip the software as if installing, but nothing autoruns, and when we search for the installed software to make it run, nothing is found except a patch which can't install because it can't find an original version to patch. We went to Canon's website to download a new version of the driver, but it says they have no new driver for this - and that the new operating systems will be able to recognize the device or won't need a driver. But when we connect it, all that shows up in Devices & Printers is "Unspecified scanner" with an exclamation point triangle that says "needs troubleshooting," and the troubleshooting goes around in circles with no results. Code 28, driver needs updating, but "update driver" button is gray, etc. The scanner also does not show up as a source within Gimp 2.8.
We also got a Mac Book Pro, OS10 version 10.7.4. It is also unable to recognize or install the same scanner. The Canon webpage for Mac says the same thing, that it has no driver for this product. What should we do?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CanoScan photo scanner won't connect to new computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CanoScan photo scanner won't connect to new computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
So why not the usual options.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2012 3:59 AM PDT

We have XP Mode, possible support from with Vuescan and the CODE 28 is an issue.

I've seen that on clone PCs where the user/maker/support can't install Windows properly but I don't think there is something new going on except you tried to install from that old CD and could have broken the system so Canon's note does not work anymore.

I'd start over with the OS by restoring that and then try it Canon's way.

As to the lost files, I have to ask because it's always interesting to know. Didn't anyone tell you to keep backup copies of what you can't lose?

And did call it irretrievable?

Collapse -
Nice Scanner,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 1, 2012 12:56 AM PDT

Bob mentioned Vuescan.
I can confirm that the Vuescan software will work with your FS4000 scanner in Windows 7, OS X and Linux.

It will give the full functionality of the scanner. Gotta love that Infra-Red lamp for getting rid of unwanted blemishes.

Collapse -
MS driver solution
by Willy / July 1, 2012 9:56 PM PDT

Excluding what has been suggested to you, You may want to try this as another option. Since Canon has no updated driver for Win7 of that product, MS may offer a solution. Older devices will install but may not be 100%, but each and every devices reports different results, so its an open question.

Remove an installed s/w for the scanner, just do it the best you can. Remove the scanner itself, disconnect entirely. Once all that is done, reboot the PC with no scanner attached. Check and verify no reference for that product. Once that's done, shutdown PC. Attach scanner to PC and reboot. You should have an active internet connection after booting. During the boot-up it should see new h/w(scanner) and ask/look for s/w, decline that. If it does ask to go on the internet to look for drivers, then allow it. Otherwise, going thru the control panel, check for new driver *online* which MS will provide if any is available. The issue here with provided driver(s) that may not provide all the bells&whistles get installed, but often they're acceptable. Allow it to finish, etc., and see how it goes. You *maybe* able to install Canon specific s/w NOT drivers and see how that works as well. If this just doesn't work or gets lost use other solutions suggested.

Sometimes, its better to move on. Those saved or scanned pix, etc., should still be gotten by a new Canon scanner setup. The format should be accepted or allowed to convert, etc., using their remedies via the new s/w Canon provides. Though you may want to ask Canon if that is a possible remedy stating your old to new setup.

I like to part, the stored media of your data seems to be critical. Have you given yourself "backups" in order to be safe? Not only one copy but several and/or yet stored elsewhere? The use of ext. storage devices(hard drives) may seem like a good idea and is, but generally the best IMHO are discs, such as CD/DVD/BD. A working backup to ext. HD maybe good for short periods until finalize to disc on a periodic basis.
(basic info for printers but work for AIO types as well)

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2012 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: MS driver solution

I think when they slipped in the old driver/app CD is when it went pear shaped. That is, created the issue where they couldn't get to the MS solution.

Collapse -
Not sure I would go with the MS solution
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 2, 2012 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks.

given the uncertainty of functionality on this very high end scanner.

I would much rather pay my $30 and have a fully functioning scanner than have a crippled scanner for free.

I know that the VueScan software will provide full functionality and with the free trial of the software, there is nothing to lose

That and the fact that there will be no messing around trying to remove all traces of the original software

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2012 12:12 PM PDT

I like VueSacn but once in awhile folk won't go for it.

The demo answers the usual questions too!

Collapse -
Up to you
by Willy / July 2, 2012 11:05 PM PDT

You already have nothing to lose in trying the MS solution. At least try it and then check results. The MS may not provide full bells and whistles but as i stated there far too many devices for me to remember, Yes it has worked 100% with other devices. In fact often enough you get the functions you want, its the fancy s/w provided that makes it less if it can't be used. BUT, you don't know that until you try. The MS install provides an install procedure if you plan to keep it. Of course, you do what you want but IMO its an effort not wasted, you can always go to VueScan later as the last resort.

As for removing any s/w the basic approach to this remains the same, add/remove from control panel or pgm.'s own un-install.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.