TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Canopus ADVC 110 - B/W & Color Problem Troubleshooting

by JVCooperative / October 30, 2013 12:50 AM PDT

Hi, recently purchased a Canopus ADVC 110 to convert VHS to digital, and I'm having a problem that maybe someone here can help solve.

I've hooked it up to a JVC BR-S500U via RCA for the audio and S-video for the picture, and what is happening, over the course of a tape playing, is that the picture will be in color for a minute or two, then switch to black and white for maybe ten minutes, then switch back to color for a while. Picture quality is generally good; it's just that I'm not getting color all the time. Does this sound familiar to anyone? It's definitely not loose cables, and I've never seen a VCR do this before.

JVCooperative has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canopus ADVC 110 - B/W & Color Problem Troubleshooting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canopus ADVC 110 - B/W & Color Problem Troubleshooting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by JVCooperative

Collapse -
Full Answers, No Attitude
by JVCooperative / November 10, 2013 12:26 PM PST
Collapse -
Sadly a real issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 1:03 AM PDT

It's not limited to just this device but many. I've worked around this by putting the video signal through other devices or recording to tape/HDD on a video recorder and playing from that device. It's not loose cables and it is very familiar to me.

This is just too well discussed on the net and I'm going to stop here and share what I use. There are newer models.
A Philips DVDR3576H.

Collapse -
You might also...
by Pepe7 / October 30, 2013 5:27 AM PDT this in the camcorder forum. Makes more sense.

Collapse -
No thanks
by JVCooperative / October 30, 2013 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: You might also...

Actually it has nothing to do with camcorders. I'm taking input from a VCR into the ADVC into a computer.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: No thanks

Again, it's a common issue and sometimes you find folk that don't want to change gear. OK, how about video correctors such as follows. as an example.

I paid less (much less) for another recorder.

Collapse -
Corrector won't make it color when it's b/w
by JVCooperative / October 30, 2013 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Nod.

I have editing needs that would definitely benefit from a graphic interface. Any products similar to the ADVC in the same general price range that are better quality with a proven track record?

Collapse -
Is it b/w?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 11:30 AM PDT

That's not what I read up top. The issue is well known and is well discussed. I can only guess that you were expecting a fix for what you have and having worked with folks over this one I have learned that many dig in all heels when you tell (and even show) them about using something else.

I see I have shared enough but you may need more time to read more and try more. I had hopes to shorten the usual learning cycle but have failed.

Collapse -
by JVCooperative / October 30, 2013 12:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Is it b/w?

"Digging in my heels?" I got the thing less than a week ago and am planning on returning it. I think you are going a little off the deep end there. Also, I asked for comparable but better units that don't exhibit this problem, which I heard you loud and clear is well documented -- though if you could point to some links, that would help.

My concern with buying a DVR is that I probably want to compile DVDs of varieties of sources and am not sure how easy editing is on those. What I like about the ADVC 110 is that you feed it into a computer and then can edit the video using a variety of software, then burn it to a disc -- is that an option with the DVR? Seriously I am brand new to this.

Collapse -
Having had this discussion before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 12:10 PM PDT
In reply to: ??

You have to feel for folk that encounter this. They usually go through a handful of capture things before they get the hint it's not a sure thing. The source video if it's a little too far off can go BW or worse. The DVR I noted was just one of the things I've used over the used but it's among the best solutions I have for cranky video sources.

Those DVD recorders are also pretty good and run about 50 bucks when you can find them.

If you want to compile DVDs why not take the content right from the DVD as it's already in digital form? Your top post noted VHS and those have issues with tracking (link follows about at )

I rarely find folk to want to deal with all this old nonsense.

Collapse -
From VHS
by JVCooperative / October 30, 2013 2:36 PM PDT

No, I want to take from a variety of VHS sources and then compile onto DVDs, so there would probably be a fair amount of video editing, possibly more than is feasible without graphic representations.

Also, I did get the ADVC working using the video RCA port, not the S-Video port. Color is stable now, but picture is not that great. Also I have a thin, 1/8" bar of blur running across the bottom edge of the screen on picture coming from two different VCRs.

I will just add BTW that I have used a variety of audio capture devices without a hitch -- varying quality to be sure, but all are rock-solid in terms of doing the job they are supposed to do: getting your analog audio digitized into your computer. So why not video?

Collapse -
The blur is common
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 4:40 PM PDT
In reply to: From VHS

It's where the video capture is locking onto the frame. You can lop that off in either capture settings or later in some editor.

Why not video? Simple, the ratty NTSC or PAL video from a VCR is often not that good. If it was, why would there be that tracking adjustment?

Collapse -
Time to hold class.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2013 3:34 AM PDT

Please focus on the scan line count. Those top scan lines were rarely to never seen back in the days of ratty old TVs. Move to a capture card and a PC and you might find folk new to this complaining about ratty scan lines at the top or bottom.

These were extra and there are a lot of articles about how old TVs worked but I took a moment to find an article that covers just this.

-> OK you want a card that always works? What you have always works IF you feed it good standard NTSC signals. When it's a little off such as I noted in my posts about tracking then you find yourself fiddling with tracking or trying the other usual things. I prefer a DVR since it's made such transfers a lot easier. I did some 40 tapes for my dad 2 years ago and it was pretty painless. Just press play, record to the HDD, let it go, come back, trim and then dub to DVD.

If I wanted to edit more I could get on the PC to rip from DVD and do more but transfer was all I would do for family.

-> In parting, HAUPPAUGE makes some better capture gear but if your source video signal is garbage, no capture system will fix that. Garbage in, garbage out.
Collapse -
by JVCooperative / November 1, 2013 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Time to hold class.

Thanks for the replies, massive condescension/impatience and all. They are informative.

I agree about finding a good quality VCR. My intention was to do that right off the bat, and I picked up a JVC BR-S500U for that purpose. Unfortunately it gave me bottom-of-screen scan lines no matter what I did with the tracking. So did another, consumer-grade VHS-HQ VCR (which, for some reason, also gave much better quality audio) -- basically identical performance. I am still at a loss as to what kind of VCR to look for.

Collapse -
I apologize.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2013 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

I am trying to condense prior discussions and save you the usual back and forth and fail after fail after fail.

There's a lot to learn and maybe I'm going about this wrong by expecting folk to know that all this, has been done and discussed a lot. Or that folk want each answer to be vetted.

Sorry about that but I do this transfer stuff and have been through some hundred systems over the past 20 years. Not only that but I designed video capture circuitry for CCTV systems. The real circuits as in drawing the schematic, having the PCB made and integrating into the systems.

You bring up a great point as in, did the industry really mess this one up? Or was it all about Farnsworth and the best they could come up with over the past 100 years? (not kidding, read )

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.