Camcorders

General discussion

Canon ZR65MC repair or replace?

by yesduhh / March 13, 2005 1:14 AM PST

Hi, I have had a Canon ZR65MC for a couple of years. It got damaged in a fall and I sent it to the Canon Service center. They will fix it for $282 (estimated) including return shipping. The estimate shows no parts, only labor. The cassette door and transport mechanism are bent and jammed and won't close. This is about the price (if not more) for a new camcorder of the same model or general range, from what I have seen on the net.

My Canon served me pretty well (seemed hardy and easy to use, had a lot of nice little features that I liked), but I was always disappointed with the image quality- low color saturation and quality, mediocre to bad indoor video in normal lighting.

To me, basic image and sound are the number one and two criteria, but for what I paid ($600) in 2003 I was satisfied with the Canon (especially since I was stuck with it).

Now I want to know if I should just by a new one of the same model for under $300, or/and pay somone else to fix the old one, or buy something else for under $500.

I would really like someone's advice, especially if they have used a more than one different mini DV camera.

Thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon ZR65MC repair or replace?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon ZR65MC repair or replace?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My rule of thumb..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2005 1:50 AM PST

If the unit is not very old (under 2 years? for camcorders) and the battery is good, then the cutoff point is 1/2 the price of new unless there are other issues to consider such as other equipment that needs replacing such as a device that only works with the unit in need of repair.

Bob

Collapse -
THANKS I WILL CONSIDER YOUR ADVICE...
by yesduhh / March 14, 2005 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: My rule of thumb..

and see what others think. The unit is 2 y.o. and the repair price from Canon is the same as buying the same model new. If I can get it repaird for half the price, as you say, I shall keep the camcorder.

Thanks

Collapse -
you want sale the camcoder
by joemonek / April 12, 2005 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: My rule of thumb..

hi you give me your camcoder,IInd hand price.

Collapse -
camcoder
by joemonek / March 21, 2005 2:03 AM PST

hi i amjoemon,from banglore,my native place kerala,now i am working in a canon authorised service centre.your camera is repairable,but we want time.now available zr200,zr300,zr 400 these are new good models
joemonek@yahoo.co.in

Collapse -
canon zr 65 repair or replace
by yesduhh / March 23, 2005 1:04 PM PST
In reply to: camcoder

Hi, thanks for your reply. But my question is should I just buy a new one, or even a different model?

Collapse -
ZR25MC Problems
by gbrooksj / June 23, 2006 3:30 AM PDT

Hey Everybody,

I'm a new poster. I own a Canon ZR 25 MC as well. I have experienced my fair share of problems with the machine. The cassette deck often refuses to accept MINI DV tapes and sometimes spits out the film inside the cassette deck. The film ends up getting stuck in the tape heads and is very difficult to remove. Attempting to remove the film has damaged quite a few of my tapes. When it does accept a tape, I get several bars across the screen making the picture jumbled. I purchased a service plan on the camcorder from Sears, which has since expired. I sent the camcorder to Sears three times to fix the problem and the problem remains. Canon claims this is only a problem they can repair themselves. I suspect the problem is either a misaligned head or a capstan problem.

Canon estimates $157.00 for out-of-warranty repair, what a rip-off! I might think of repairing it if I thought it would not break again in a few months/years. I don't know if I should pay the nearly $160 to repair the problem with no warranty to cover future problems or simply cut my losses and purchase a new camcorder. How much would it cost to have it repaired somewhere else? I am going on vacation in late July and I would like to have a camcorder by then. What should I do? I would appreciate any advice or ideas to fix this problem.

Thanks

Collapse -
ZR25MC eats tapes, making it pretty much useless
by ksevy / August 2, 2006 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: ZR25MC Problems

I just bought a Canon ZR25MC. It's used but in great condition. HOWEVER, every single time I record a bunch of material on a tape and then rewind the tape, it chews the tape up! Sometimes the tape gets all caught up in the gears and I have to gently extract it with a chopstick, and other times it just munches it up but leaves it in the cassette. I called Canon, they want $150 to fix it, or $200 to upgrade to a refurbished ZR85.

I'm done with Canon. I'm going to call the lady I bought it from (who told me there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it) and demand my money back. I'll show her the tapes, and even buy a new tape to demonstrate with if she doesn't believe me. Then, I'm going to buy something else. Maybe a Panasonic, maybe a Sony, anything but a Canon. I'm not gonna record hours of cool footage on a product that so far has ruined 100% of the tapes I've fed it.

That's just my $0.02.

Collapse -
Canon zr70
by ravcer / April 12, 2005 11:43 AM PDT

I too have a canon zr-70 but after a year of use the camcorder just stop recording in fact i can see the playback from a tape but cannot record anything ... the screen just show up black wih all the normal writing on it as if it is on with the lens cap on.

Is there anyone who can tell me the problem with my camcorder.

Collapse -
Canon ZR70MC
by kale737 / May 28, 2005 3:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Canon zr70

Did you ever find out what happened to your camera? I just had the same thing happen to mine. What did you do. I am suspecting a sensor has gone out?? Please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Collapse -
ccd defective
by joemonek / March 19, 2006 9:30 PM PST
In reply to: Canon zr70

problem is the ccd assy defective.ccd manufacturing sony.some manufacturing defect for thease models.there for canon recall these models.replace the part free of cost.go to caanon service centre.

Collapse -
What should I do?
by gbrooksj / May 28, 2007 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: ccd defective

So the question is... is it worth sending it back to Canon to get it fixed or replaced with a refurbished model or should I just buy a new non-Canon one?

Collapse -
Fire Away on Canons
by gbrooksj / May 31, 2007 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: What should I do?

Canon is offering me the choice between 3 refurbished cameras. The ZR 500 for $179, the Elura 100 for $249 or the DC100 for $329.

What are the pros and cons of each particular model and which should I go with?

Collapse -
Elura 100...
by boya84 / May 31, 2007 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Fire Away on Canons

for all the good reasons why it was named the 2006 camera of the year at camcorderinfo.com

Collapse -
Ready to fire Canon
by gbrooksj / June 6, 2007 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Elura 100...

I called Canon today. They want nearly $280 for a refurbished Elura 100 that only comes with a six-month replacement warranty. I asked about how I can get the camcorder insured after the six-month period and the sales rep told me that most camera stores would not cover a refurbished camcorder. GREAT!

So I ask this question?Are refurbished models ones with replacement parts or are they simply floor models that stores send back to Canon? Canon claims they are old floor models and the sales rep told me ?we are not in the business of reselling broken cameras.? I was tempted to say, ?No, you are in the business of selling cameras that will break in 6 months? but I held back.

I don't want to fork over more $ to Canon for a camera that will break in 6 months just like the crappy ZR25 in which I spent nearly $800 on when I bought it back in 2001. (They want nearly $150 to fix that hunk of junk.) Especially when I can by a new Elura for only $100 more. Are there any camera stores in the Philadelphia area that will repair my ZR25 for a low price? Or should I just cut my losses and dump that hunk of junk in the nearest landfill. I welcome your input and suggestions.

Collapse -
ZR65MC transfer movie from tape to computer
by yadavk / June 24, 2007 4:51 AM PDT

hi I have a problem with zr65mc. I bought it brand new 3 years ago and didn't have chance to test its DV port as yet today. I wish to transfer the recorded movies from cam corder tapes to computers and I got stuck with the job now. I bought a fire wire cable and connected the dv port to the port in my newly bought laptop which I am sure 100% supports ieee1394 connection. I could see in the camcorder screen display as DV IN but the windows maovie maker doesn't respond at all. There is an icon in the movie maker called import from camcorder. When I press the icon it says compatible digital camcorder could not be found. Is it a problem with the DV port of the camera or something else. Could any body help me please?

Thanks

Yadav

Collapse -
1. Avoid posting under other's discussions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2007 7:06 AM PDT

2. Try WINDV (found with google.com)

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.