Camcorders forum

General discussion

Canon ZR 100 or JVC GR-D250u?

by drumfish / August 20, 2005 4:32 AM PDT

Between these two Mini DV camcorders I can't decide which one is for me, I want good quilty video at night and day.

Please help, and if you kno of any other camcorders in this price range 500$ CANADIAN that are mini dv please help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon ZR 100 or JVC GR-D250u?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon ZR 100 or JVC GR-D250u?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by drhiberd / August 20, 2005 6:17 AM PDT

I don't think either one will give you the quality you want in low light. Both will do well in good light, but you're going to have to up your budget for good low light.

Collapse -
by drumfish / August 20, 2005 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Camcorder

will do u or anyone have any other advice for this price range, which camara is the best for the price over the rest in this section..?
I have looked all Sony, JVC, Panasonic, and canon..

Collapse - I was just looking, too.
by MotionPixels / August 22, 2005 7:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Then

Have you seen for reviews showing test images from many of common camcorders? I could be wrong in suggesting that place, though, since I only began looking last week and their reviews can sometimes seem a bit errant here and there but it helped me anyway. I got the Canon ZR400 simply because it was okay enough for the price (that, and I used a DELL Preferred Account since I don't use CC's anymore only Debit Card).

$500 CDN is about $415 USD so you'll be hard-pressed to find anything good in low light from what I've seen of these camcorders-- even the ones costing twice that! I haven't owned one since 1999 and that was one of the first compact Panasonic VHS-C kind.

The ZR400 I got from DELL was $467 after a customer discount but I believe you could find that one for as low as $400 after shipping. Of course, I cannot even begin to recommend it since mine isn't delivered yet. However, it did seem the logical choice of all the miniDV's I checked out. I was more interested in the Canon Optura 60 with optical image stabilization and more still photo pixels but beyond my budget I figured since I'm also looking to upgrade my 4MP, 4X zoom, digi-cam someday.

Good luck with whatever you ultimately get.

Collapse -
Canon ZR100
by drumfish / August 23, 2005 12:25 AM PDT

I bought the Canon Zr100, and everything seems to be fine so far, your right about they can be a bit hard on the camcorders.

Im only worried now about how long this camcorder will go before something fails, due to reviews I read, most camcorders have problems that sometimes can't be a simple fix. Sony products i find seem to fail when the support year ends.

I read one review about the ZR 100 and it said that it only has 20 hours of tape this true, because I like to record and playback my video alot to see if its what i need..and now I worried about the playback..

Collapse -
Canon ZR 100
by Adam Houston / September 18, 2005 1:39 AM PDT

I purchased the Canon ZR 100 as a low priced back up in case I am filming and a problem develops with my regular 3 chip Camcorder.

I have been going over the specs. It has a single chip
listed at 680,000 pixels. Effective pixels 340,000.
I feel the quality will be as good as a very good VHS picture. I think this is partly due to the electronic stabilizer which uses the extra pixels. You can put the camcorder on a tripod and turn off the stabilizer
which should help the quality.
It will not be as good as a 3 chip camcorder using 680,000 rated chips. The performance you are looking for might cost three times as much as the ZR 100

I plugged the ZR 100 into a 48" TV and it showed a very good picture in practice.

Even the very best camcorders produce a grainy picture to varying degrees in low light. That is my experience with all the camcorders I have owned.

Other things about the ZR 100:
IT does not have an external microphone input.
If you want good sound you can buy a set of headphones at a dollar store. Plug them in and listen for background noise. You might have to turn off the fridge and air conditioner or any fans that are running.

It does not have SVHS input/output. If you want to copy your old video you must use the standard input.
(The little yellow plug)

It DOES have a socket for 'firewire' so that you can input your video into your computer for editing using a 4 pin to 6 pin connector. The computer must have a firewire (iEEE 1394) input and an editing program of some kind.

You might go on the Internet and access the website of the Society of Canadian Cine Amateurs. Some of the members are very experienced.

I would say that the ZR 100 is a very good camcorder for shooting family videos of the point and shoot type. I have no idea how long it would last.
I hope that this will be of some help.

Adam Houston

Collapse -
Sorry about sound
by Adam Houston / September 18, 2005 3:16 AM PDT

I tried using headphones with the ZR 100. Does not work.

To use headphones I had to plug in the output cable that comes with the camcorder and connect an adapter to the red and white plugs . this worked.

Cannon could have made it easy to use headphones.

If you want anything more than point and shoot perhaps it would be best to look at another camcorder; even another Canon model.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.