Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon XT versus Canon 20D

by ricochet69 / March 27, 2005 12:11 AM PST

I just like taking pictures mostly of my son. I have a Canon G3 and it takes great pictures. However, I have new camera fever and want to get one that is faster (to take pics of little league sporting events, stuff like that)- and wonder if the Canon 20D that says it takes 5fps is worth the extra about $400 than the XT which says it takes 3fps- I played with both at best buy and could tell a little difference (the 20D being faster), but there also was no cf card- they are both extremely fast without the card. I know both cameras are well beyond any capabilites I would need, but I am interested in speed and want to stick with Canon as my G3 has been great except for the speed.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon XT versus Canon 20D
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon XT versus Canon 20D
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The 20D is equally fast with a card. That's why it is rated
by Kiddpeat / March 27, 2005 2:43 AM PST

the way it is. I think, although I'm not sure, that it has a sufficient internal buffer. At least once, I've noticed that it's still writing to the card after I'm done shooting. I have also upgraded to a fast card just to be sure.

Collapse -
by BobC1823 / March 27, 2005 3:50 PM PST

I have just upgraded to CanonXT (EOS350)
from Canon G3 and the results are tremendous
I chose this over the 20D because
of cost and the fact that I am a serious amateur
and not a Pro.
The 350 is brilliant with the 18-55 kit lens
but I am saving for a 55-200 and a Macro
3fps is plenty for most uses as long as CF is fast

Collapse -
Personal Comment
by jump1127 / March 27, 2005 10:47 PM PST

I've not tried out Rebel XT. Nevertheless, their features are somewhat a bit different. Shutter max speed of Rebel XT is at 1/4000 while 20D is at 1/8000. Meanwhile, the sync flash shutter speed is at 1/250 for 20D and 1/200 for Rebel XT. In addition, Rebel XT ISO can be raised only upto 1600 while 20D can go up to 3200. Rebel XT auto focus is 7-point TTL while 20D auto focus is 9-point TTL.

The noise level of Rebel XT, seen by some friends taking a few shots using Rebel XT, is outstanding. Unless you want some continuous ( al servo )or action shootings, you probably feel that Rebel XT can't well serve that purpose. To me, 3 Frames per second is a bit slow for shooting sport or action pictures. Perhaps, the buffer memory has something to do here. Canon 20D definitely has the larger buffer size. Here, I'd say that it's similar to comparing Canon EOS 1D Mark II with 20D regardless of camera's sales price. Canon 20D and Rebel XT is positioning at a bit different category. But, if you're willing to sacrifice some unnecessary features, Canon Rebel XT is quite a very good bargain. In stead, you can spend more money for some Macro & zoom lenses, external flash, CPL filter, and Tripod. I've chosen Canon 20D and felt pretty happy with the camera. Good luck.

Collapse -
by ricochet69 / March 28, 2005 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: Personal Comment

Thank-you for your advice- It sounds like the XT is a bargain, however if I want to catch my kid moving or running I would be happier with the Canon 20D?

Collapse -
Well, indeed.
by jump1127 / March 29, 2005 12:08 AM PST

To freeze a movement of anything , shutter speed around 1/1-2000 is quite enough. However, the concept may not hold true if you put a super-telephoto ( such as a 400 or 500mm focal length )into your camera. Again, that's rare case for us. Canon 20D will be a better choice if you want to shoot many pictures in the continuous mode. But, Canon Rebel XT is much cheaper than 20D considering most features. You have to try it yourselves. Pay for what you only use. Good luck.

Collapse -
I don't know what the start up speed for the rebel is, but
by Kiddpeat / March 30, 2005 1:36 AM PST

the 20D starts virtually instantly. I just leave mine on all the time. It shuts down by itself, but pushing shutter button half way down brings it back to life. It can also get that second or third shot that appears just after you shoot. Virtually no lag.

Collapse -
by ricochet69 / March 30, 2005 5:41 AM PST

I think the start up time for the XT is .2sec- so, it's pretty fast too- I appreciate everyone's input on these cameras- It seems like everyone is saying the 20D is faster, better but the XT is a better bargain so I'm still waiting for more opinions. I seem to make up my mind to get the XT, but then change it again to the 20D cause everyone says it's better- I can get the black XT for $1000 off Amazon or the silver XT from butterfly photo for $905 or the Canon 20D from butterfly photo for $1325 with lens- Wish cnet would come out with their review on the XT also. Another member said to catch most action shots it needed to be 1/1-2000- Is the XT faster than that? Thanks for all help!

Collapse -
Good & Bad News.
by jump1127 / March 30, 2005 8:58 PM PST

XT max shutter speed is 1/4000 sec. That's a good news for you. However, Rebel XT viewfinder is very small and uncomfortable. Add that to the smaller grip, Canon 350D ( or Rebel XT in the US ) is not truely ergonomic & professional design. Only the price looks charming. Any way, other opinion may be different. Test and find out which one you prefer. Good luck.

Collapse -
One thing you will notice
by wolfman224 / March 29, 2005 11:52 PM PST

The 20D feels a lot sturdier and is a nicer camera to work with

Collapse -
20D vs. XT
by camman / March 30, 2005 4:17 PM PST

I don't have either one, but would like to get the 20D. I have held both in my hands at Best Buy, and the 20D feels alot better. It does feel sturdier, and is a little bigger. The XT felt a little small, and not quite as nice. I guess it really depends on what your aspirations are. I don't think you would be unhappy with either one. From what I understand-you can't really tell a differnce in the quality of the pics.

Collapse -
Been There Done That
by shybull / March 31, 2005 11:33 PM PST

I have just done what you are about to do. I have a G3 and love it but it was sluggish it was time for me to move up. I went with the XT. Very responsive and a lot cheaper than the 20D. Take the money you'd save and buy a lens and definitly a fast compact flash card. Also if you don't already have a Canon flash get the 420EX at the least. I really love the camera and I already had lenses from my 35mm EOS.

Collapse -
BT-DT
by Bookem / April 20, 2005 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Been There Done That

I have a 20D. It's great! No questions. I considered an XT due to the thousand dollar difference. Went for the 20D because I want to get more serious about photography. I outgrew my last camera. If you are in my boat and want to go professional someday go for the 20D now instead of trading up later. If you just want really great shots, invest in the XT and a good zoom lens.

Collapse -
very helpful info
by Lionel22 / April 23, 2005 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Been There Done That

I recently took back my Nikon 8700 because the lag between shots was driving me crazy. The start-up time was much too long (I would constantly miss shots). Bottom line, I want a fast shot to shot camera and from the research that I've done the XT seems to be the best bet for the money. I can live with the plastic body (plus I've heard it is much more rugged than the previous Rebel).

Lionel22

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.