Camcorders forum

General discussion

Canon VIXIA HV30 -- Importing film to computer

by fiveleafer / November 25, 2010 2:14 PM PST

Purchased HV30 some time ago from a used camcorder shop. Came with camera, carrying case, and firewire cable.

Anyways, I've taken a couple videos, and want to transfer them to my computer. Computer runs Windows 7 x64 in a custom setup, stable overclock at 4.5Ghz with 6G DRAM.
Software for editing is Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0 (trial).

Computer recognizes HV30 when plugged in via firewire to front 1394 port. No other 1394 port is being used. USB connected is mouse and keyboard.

Looking into Control Panel, it recognizes the camera as "Canon VIXIA HV30", and after searching for drivers on the internt (via windows 7 autosearch), it shows as drivers being up to date.

Opening the editing software (or "my computer"), I cannot find the camera. This becomes an issue when telling the editing software where to look for media.

I'm new to this. Help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon VIXIA HV30 -- Importing film to computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon VIXIA HV30 -- Importing film to computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I learned long ago.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2010 4:18 AM PST

Is to not rely on the video editors for the video capture step. Also, DRIVERS are not what do the capture so I learned to find capture software for that step.

Bob

Collapse -
What software?
by lunaheretic / January 21, 2013 9:21 PM PST

Hi Bob,
what capture software do you recommend?

Collapse -
None really. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: What software?

Because folk need to go with what they want. I use WinDV for my firewire capture and it was great. Today I find folk a little put off by the MiniDV firewire dance.
Bob

Collapse -
lunaheretic: You did not tell us anything about
by boya84 / January 24, 2013 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: What software?

your computer or video editor.

Take it from the top... for miniDV tape based camcorders:

Camcorder off.

Connect the camcorder's DV port (not USB) to the computer's firewire port (not USB) with a firewire cable (not USB). Connect the camcorder's power supply/adapter to the wall (known working AC power) and the camcorder. USB-to-firewire cable/converter/adapter things do not work.

If the computer is not already on, power it up.

When the computer is at a stable desktop, power up the camcorder - put the Camcorder into "Play" mode.

Launch the video editor. Use the video editor's Import or Capture command to import the video.

When firewire is working correctly, it is the firewire drivers that would be current. Firewire is not device-specific like USB is. The HV30-specific drivers would be USB for connecting to the camcorder's USB port to get to the memory card (still images) only - there is no digital tape access over USB.

Common end-user issues I see:
1) End user confuses USB and firewire.
2) Camcorder is not in "Play" mode.
3) firewire card has chipset known to cause issues.
4) Options in the camcorder changed inappropriately - need to reset the camcorder to factory default.
5) Video editing application attempted for importing cannot deal with HDV format video on the digital tape.
6) Camcorder's DV port fried because firewire cable plugged in or removed when camcorder was on and a non-user replaceable part cooked inside the camcorder.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.