Camcorders forum

General discussion

Canon Vixia HFS 100HD vs Sony HDR CX350V Decision Time

by pleasant44 / April 8, 2010 7:21 AM PDT

In the mkt. for my first camcorder, have read reviews etc.; but the Sony is new on the mkt. with no reviews to date.

Like the touch screen, gps and size etc. on the Sony. Also, will be downloading direct to HDTV or PC.

Will be used on vacations, landscape shots and some indoor.

Would appreciate feedback from those of you that at one time were in my shoes and have mastered the camcorder experience.

Am an "average" learner; therefore with the proper manual I should have no problem.

MC

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon Vixia HFS 100HD vs Sony HDR CX350V Decision Time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon Vixia HFS 100HD vs Sony HDR CX350V Decision Time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon HFS 100
by E_Kelly / April 9, 2010 11:55 PM PDT

I just got it! Very nice camcorder. looks good on my HDTV.
I Don't like the bundled software. It took several hours to upload the video from Camcorder to PC & burn an AVCHD DVD. Think I will have to buy a new PC with faster chip. Good Luck.

Collapse -
Canon HFS 100
by pleasant44 / April 10, 2010 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Canon HFS 100

Just to be sure, did you buy the Sony or the Canon?

Thanks,

Collapse -
camcorder
by E_Kelly / April 11, 2010 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Canon HFS 100

I got the Canon HFS 100. Price is down under $700 now. It has a bunch of cool features I'll never use but Some I will so I went for the better model (over the HF200) I've used nothing but SONY camcorders since 1993. I can't say anything bad about SONY however after spending days reading on line reviews I ended up with Canon.

My problem now .. I must buy a new computer. My current PC takes hours to convert and render the data from the camcorder's original codec, I believe its M2TS or MPEG-4 into AVCHD so that our Blu-Ray can read it. My word of caution to all those who have a computer with less than Core 2 duo, buy that new AVCHD camcorder & expect to buy a new computer along with it.

Collapse -
Canon - Core 2 duo
by pleasant44 / April 12, 2010 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: camcorder

Thanks for the clarification and the Core 2 info. My Dell Dimension 4550 is 7 years old and has a Pentium 4 Processor at 2.66GHZ. Would you say I'm definitely a candidate for a new PC?
Does the Canon transfer video direct to the HDTV via HDMI?

Collapse -
forever
by chickenorfish / April 12, 2010 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon - Core 2 duo

you can play straight from the camcorder to the tv with hdmi

your computer will definitely not play the video. editing it would take forever

Collapse -
the m2ts is avchd
by chickenorfish / April 12, 2010 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: camcorder

the m2ts is avchd. if all youre doing is burning to dvd (not editing) check out the canon DW-100. as i understand it, it connects directly to your camcorder. if youre burning bluray, i do think you still need a computer

Collapse -
Burning straight to DVD
by E_Kelly / April 13, 2010 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: the m2ts is avchd

Thanks for the info Chickenorfish. I've read up on that Canon DVD burner. Looks like a good option. Some times I need to separate video clips & Edit. .... ALSO need a new PC. This is a good reason to get one. I'd love to get teh new Intel i7 I'll bet that would kick AVCHD butt. The i7 is still serious $$. Not sure if I need that horsepower or maybe an i3 or i5 would work. Any idea?
Thanks

Collapse -
i5 or i7 would be super fast
by chickenorfish / April 13, 2010 9:09 AM PDT

well i have the older model q6600 quad core and it handles avchd just fine. so i would bet i5 or i7 would be super fast

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.