Camcorders

General discussion

Canon vixia HF20 or Canon Vixia HF200?

by mavrick_2cool / July 5, 2009 6:13 PM PDT

I would like to buy to HD camcorder. I have narrowed my choice to Canon Vixia HF. But I am still not able to make the decision between Vixia HF20 or HF 200. Does internal flash memory is going to make any difference? Any feed back would be appreciated?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon vixia HF20 or Canon Vixia HF200?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon vixia HF20 or Canon Vixia HF200?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I chose the HF200
by sivartis / July 6, 2009 7:02 PM PDT

My logic was: The less built-in to the device, the better (less to break). Plus, the price difference seemed to be about the cost of the built-in memory, and since the cost of SD memory cards is constantly dropping, it felt like the money I'd save could buy a bigger amount of memory down the road.

I just got the HF200 in the mail, and it's gorgeous. We're going into production on a web series in a couple weeks, where it'll really be put through it's paces. I purchased a 16GB SD card, and just ordered another 16GB card with a USB reader so that we can film with one card while the other is downloading footage to a drive.

Hope that helps!
~Trav

Collapse -
Canon vixia20 vs Canon vixia 200?
by mavrick_2cool / July 7, 2009 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: I chose the HF200

Hi Trav,

Thanks for the reply. My main concern is mainly on the quality of the recording. Built memory will record better or external memory? How much quality will I compromise with HE200? Any ideas any one?

Collapse -
Canon Vixia 20 vs 200
by GregS64 / July 8, 2009 12:53 AM PDT

Hi,
I am a novice at this, but let me share what I have found out so far.
I took my 4 gig SD card into Best Buy, recorded several min of video on the Canon Vixia HF20, connected that card to a card reader, plugged into my PS3 via USB. The card was recognized and read. The video played back via PS3/HDMI to my Sony 46" LCD and was absolutely stunning! I played it over and over to see every detail. Looked so much better than broadcast quality.
I used same USB connection to my computer, running Vista Ultimate with 4 gig DDR. Had to download some codecs, but the video was also excellent in Windows Player.
From my "extensive" research I have found there is no difference in video quality with the 20 vs 200. The only diff is the built in flash drive. There are no moving parts with a flash drive, so I would'nt be concerned about something breaking. You just have to decide whether to buy SD cards; which as was mentioned, are getting very inexpensive. My thought is to save the money and buy the 200.(I bought an 8 gig 4 rating card for $14..last Aug through Amazon. That is about 2 hrs of HD recording)
One word of caution though. Make sure the SD card is rated 4 or above. The number will be on the front of the card. If you don't see a 4, 6, or 10; then it will not record HD. SD will be okay.
Hope this helps some.

Collapse -
Canon Vixia 20 vs 200
by mavrick_2cool / July 9, 2009 4:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Canon Vixia 20 vs 200

Hi GregS64,

Thank you very much for very insightful review and suggestions. I will now definitely buy Vixia 200. Thanks again.

Collapse -
What codec do I need to play in my laptop?
by kamarahmad / March 4, 2010 2:50 AM PST
In reply to: Canon Vixia 20 vs 200

Hi! I am a novice user and roaming from forum to forum to learn a way about how to play my files shoot in the Canon Vixia HF 200 in my regular Toshiba Tecra Intel Centrino Duo Processor and 2 GB RAM. Can you suggest what kind of Codec players may I need to run smoothly my shoot files?

Collapse -
output for the HF200
by JaySchay / January 10, 2010 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: I chose the HF200

can someone tell me if you can take a "live" out from this camera for the purpose of running it into a computer for real-time encoding and/or sending a signal to a monitor for re-broadcast? This would be for use in a church that has an "overflow" room, and also wants to make sermons available the following day on their website.

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
if the difference is
by chickenorfish / July 9, 2009 11:10 PM PDT

id say if the difference is less then $100 get the hf20. a 32gb sdhc is gonna be around that much

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.