Camcorders forum

General discussion

Canon VIXIA HF100/Editing?

by iMaloney. / February 24, 2009 10:08 AM PST

What do you guys think is the best editing program for this camcorder. I am interested in investing in this camcorder, and I have heard that the software provided is lousy. I have Windows Vista if that has anything to do with it, so I would appreciate your help. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon VIXIA HF100/Editing?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon VIXIA HF100/Editing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere
by boya84 / February 24, 2009 1:10 PM PST

generally float to the top for AVCHD editing. More details on your computer's CPU, RAM and available hard drive space will help. FAST, lots and a separate drive just for the video project files are appropriate requirements, respectively...

Collapse -
Software for burning DVD's from the HF100
by golden1830 / April 11, 2009 7:15 AM PDT

Is there a really good user-friendly software for burning DVD's from camcorder files created by the HF100? Thanks!

Collapse -
Is the requirement to burn
by boya84 / April 12, 2009 4:43 AM PDT

high definition video that is down sampled to standard definition, regular DVDs and DVD format?

Or do you want to burn high definition video that stays as high definition? These won't play basck in a regular DVD player.

Or do you want to burn high definition video as a data file to a DVD for computer playback?

Or do you want to burn high definition video for BluRay player (or PS3) playback?

What kind of burner are you using?

What software have you used that is non-high definition?

What computer operating system? What RAM, available hard disc space and CPU?

Collapse -
From HD to regular DVD
by golden1830 / April 13, 2009 12:54 AM PDT

Thanks for the follow-up. I'm trying to burn the HD images from the camcorder to a regular DVD on a burner that came with my 3-yr old Compaq desktop. It says it's a "Lightscribe" DVD / CD burner. The software that comes with the HF100 (Imagemixer 3 SE) apparently only burns disks that can be read by the Imagemixer software, not universally readable DVD's. I read that Pinnacle Studio 11 Ultimate for $99 is user-friendly and worked well - have you heard of it?

Collapse -
One step at a time.
by boya84 / April 13, 2009 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: From HD to regular DVD

You said, "I'm trying to burn the HD images from the camcorder to a regular DVD on a burner that came with my 3-yr old Compaq desktop."

If you are copying the files from the camcorder to burn the DVD, then do that. There is no need for any video editor intervention. All you are doing is using the blank DVD as a place to hold data files. You don't need anything fancy. In theory, these AVCHD compressed MTS files on that formerly blank DVD can be played back using a BluRay player (including a PS3) connected to a HDTV. These data files can also be used to be imported to a computer based video editor capable of dealing with AVCHD compressed MTS files.

If you want that high definition video on the discs to be playable on a regular DVD, you need to know that regular DVD players cannot deal with high definition video. That video needs to be downsampled to a format regular DVD players can deal with - generally described as "VOB" format files.

The software that comes in the box with consumer camcorders is useless. Yes, I have heard of Pinnacle Studio, but it does not seem to be able to keep up with the likes of Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere... admittedly, I only use Macintoshes (iMovie and FinalCut) for editing and rendering - my Windows/Vista machines are used only to ensure file compatibility.

Collapse -
I need help with my Cannon VIXIA HF100 editing/burning to DV
by jbthebuckeye / March 2, 2009 4:28 AM PST

I am new to the board and new to video editing, but just had twins so here I go.

I just bought the HF100 and have filled a 16GB SD card with HD video clips, .5 to 5 min in length.

I bought a new Dell Studio 1536-144P Laptop PC to download the video and make DVDs with this:

Processor- AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile technology RM-74 (2.2GHz/3.6GT/s, 1MB L2)
Memory (RAM) 4GB
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Expandable to 4GB
Hard Drive Size 320GB
Hard Drive Type SATA
Optical Drive DVD+/-RW
Display Type WXGA TrueLife Wide Display
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64 bit OS)
Network Card Dell 1397 b/g wireless card
Video Graphics Integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200
Other ports Built-in 2.0MP webcam, SD card reader port, HDMI etc.

I loaded the software that came with the Cannon HF 100 and was able to download the stills from the SD card and burn to a DVD.

I was able to load the movie clips into the software but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to burn to a DVD. Also when I view the movie they are very jerky. What's that all about?

Do I need some editing software? If so which one?

I simply want to make DVDs of the short clips I make of the kids growing up...nothing fancy at this point.

I don't have a Blue Ray DVD player yet, just a regular one. But do have a Samsung 1080p TV to view the video which looks awesome when viewing from the HF100 through the receiver system to the TV.

Any help is appreciated.

Collapse -
Canon Vixia HF100
by CATAURORA / April 27, 2009 8:27 AM PDT

I recently purchased a Canon Vixia HF100 and was provided the Imagemixer 3E software. I have a pretty much the same software OS that you do Vista with a 64 bit OS and the Imagemixer software locks up when I direct it to read the camera's video file.

Are you using the Imagemixer software? If so, are you getting it to work? If you aren't using the software, what are you using that works?

Collapse -
Jerky Film
by ongams / August 13, 2009 5:38 PM PDT

Had my Vixia HF S100 for two days. I experienced the same thing. According to the very helpfeul tech today, you should not use the 24 and 30 fps unless you are trying for example, to upload to a TV broadcast. He said the highest definition that should be used is the 60i. Otherwise, it's up to you...

Collapse -
Jerky Film
by gemineye111 / August 24, 2009 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Jerky Film

All the software available in the market today will do the same thing. They are all going to be jerky, especially during editing. You must do a pre-render before previewing which will take up some time. The reason for this is because computers today are not powerful enough to edit HD video. I have not yet tried to do this on the Mac Pro's which have Intel 8-Cores for processors (because I cannot afford it, nor do I have any friends or relatives that can afford it). But I've tried ImageMixer, Sony Vegas, Corel, Pinnacle Ultimate, and Adobe... using 2.66Ghz Quad-Core... and still not powerful enough.

Collapse -
30fps to 60i
by benihana_02 / September 16, 2009 7:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Jerky Film

is there a way to change my clips from 30fps to 60i? i recorded most of clips 30fps

Collapse -
the best AVCHD video converter and editor
by wishyou0607 / July 21, 2010 11:47 PM PDT

Your canon camcorder produces AVCHD video files ,but quite feww editing software can support AVCHD files directly.So you have to make some conversion to AVCHD video files to some common video formats like MOV,MPEG4 or AVI.

As for AVCHD converter, i recommend Brorsoft MTS/M2TS Converter which is poerful in converting MTS video files to other video formats,including AVI,MOV,MPEG4,FLV,MKV,MP3,OGG,FLAC,AC3 and ect.

And then you can use Windows Movie Maker or Final Cut Pro for Mac users to edit these video files.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.